Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Let's Play Some X-COM Games! - Screenshot LPs  (Read 12361 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play UFO: Enemy Unknown - Semi-blind screenshot LP
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 06:44:52 pm »

Honestly, most of them are doomed either way, but I can understand wanting to see your death approaching.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 06:46:21 pm »

Posting to watch, also requesting a soldier.
It's been a while since I played original XCOM instead of UFO:AI, what weapons do you have available?
I have the standard rifles, pistols, autocannons and rocket launchers. My next research project, no matter what, is going to be laser weaponry, so we'll have laser pistols and rifles as well. I also ordered a HWP (Heavy Weapons Platform, basically an unmanned tank), but it seems to have arrived before the ammo for it. I'm starting to wonder whether I actually ordered the HWP ammo or not.

First, getting something off my chest: Aaaagh, the base layout, noooo! So many points of entry for invaders! It is not ruthlessly efficient! D:
Yeah, I wish you could customize your starting base layout, but you're stuck with the dumb triangle thing.

5. This is really gamey, but... We all know night missions are hell. With a bit of effort you can time your Skyranger arrivals to coincide with daylight hours.
I just always thought of that as good strategy.
"Alright men, who wants to go into the dark woods, where you can't see shit unless it is five feet in front of you?" *A few hands go up* "It is ALSO filled with a bunch of aliens who WILL cut a giant hole in your chest, make you it's bitch, and you will THEN get back up, kill your best friend, and then give birth to that alien's babies!  In the dark!  Now who wants to go when it's light out and we can kill these things a mile away with an explosive minigun that lights eveyrthing on FIRE!?" *everyone's hand goes up*
This is why I give everyone flares. They make night missions a lot easier. It'd also help if the game would let you wait to start an op until the sun comes up, but hey, whatever.

Next update coming in the next hour or so. Remember that if your soldier is dead, you can always request a new one with a new name, although these soldiers will be pushed to the back of the naming list.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2013, 07:29:24 pm »

First, getting something off my chest: Aaaagh, the base layout, noooo! So many points of entry for invaders! It is not ruthlessly efficient! D:
Yeah, I wish you could customize your starting base layout, but you're stuck with the dumb triangle thing.
You can delete the existing facilities. I normally start by building a pair of new hangers in the north and deleting the south ones as soon as the new ones finish building. As long as you replace and delete the workshop and don't build anything else in the third row, you've only got a single point of entry to worry about. It's costly, but on the plus side it makes it much less likely that a base attack will mess you up.

((Please tell me it's a rocket HWP. :3))

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 07:53:06 pm »

((Please tell me it's a rocket HWP. :3))
Nah it was a cannon HWP. I'm gonna leave you to guess what happened to it. :P

Alright, before I post this update, let me just say that Burnt Pies is the best soldier.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Update #3: Tank Trouble
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 09:09:33 pm »

So the boys in the lab finally figured out how to put bandages in a box, but get this: they need the engineering team to do it for them! These guys better seriously impress me in these next few weeks, or they're the first up to the chopping block.

Alright... It's more than just bandages in a box. But my point still stands.

Now this is more like it! Laser weapons! Plasma weapons! Now we can actually get something useful out of these guys.
A couple weeks pass. We've made some progress with laser weaponry, enough that we can manufacture laser pistols, but before we have time to do so...

Another UFO spotted. This one's a bit bigger than the last. Time to shoot it down!
[DEBRIEFING - SQ "BURNT PIES" - 28/1/1999 - 2045 HRS]
It started out like our last op I guess... But being stuffed in that little Skyranger with a big HWP wasn't too comfortable.
When we landed, I could already tell this thing was a lot bigger than the last one. It was sort of in this "X" shape. I was inside the thing and i still cant tell you how it flew.
We sent the tank out first. It started getting shot at, but there were no solid hits. it probably took out a couple of them just on the way out of the 'ranger.
We started coming out after the tank. It was dark. I couldn't see shit, but we were still following procedures.

The tank goes on ahead of us, and then things start going to shit. Out of nowhere, the thing just god damn explodes. I couldn't see what blew it up... nobody could.

But then Stworca sees something moving off in the distance. He starts firing at it, and then I see it too. I can't really make out what it is, but I sure as hell don't let that stop me from shooting at it.
I think I managed to take it out, but then USEC gets grazed from behind. Stworca, Akura, and Raptor run on to clear the ship, and the rest of us stay behind to pick off the stragglers.
Suddenly, I start hearing screaming from the door to the craft, so I run to assist. I manage to get there, only to see Raptor trying to stabilize Akura, who's bleeding out in the doorway. Then she... she just takes a green bolt to the face, and...
(heavy sigh)
So I run up and grab a grenade. I can't see anything through the smoke, but I lob the thing in there anyway.

Before it blows, I take a shot to the arm. My heart's pounding, but I manage to keep my cool.

After the grenade blew, the rest of the squad called all clear. We cleaned up the bodies and headed home.
I hate to see my squadmates die, but I'm just glad I survived...
Is that it? I need a smo-
[END]

I think we're getting better. Somewhat. At least nobody died on the way out of the damn Skyranger.
Spoiler: Roster (click to show/hide)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2013, 09:23:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rip'n'tear grenadier it is. Because anything heavier than a grenade will nail me to the ground.

Hey, at least my character isn't Shinji Ikari. No "I mustn't run away"s from this quarter.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2013, 09:29:47 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rip'n'tear grenadier it is. Because anything heavier than a grenade will nail me to the ground.
Yeah, that's what I was planning. I figured that your TA and Bravery were good enough to offset your low FA. Basically I'll be giving you a laser pistol and a ton of grenades.

EDIT:
Also you have more TUs than any rookie ANYONE we have, so that helps.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:31:57 pm by AlleeCat »

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2013, 09:41:04 pm »

Please give me the next rookie with high strength.  High FA as a second choice.

Equip with grenades and a laser rifle, auto-fire every time.  Plus grenades.  Maybe a medi-kit.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2013, 10:10:48 pm »

*Burnt Pies goes beserk!*
He is the second most accurate on the team!

20 bravery isn't game-breaking though. It's the guys with 10 you have to worry about.
What did I tell you guys! He panicked like a schoolgirl! At least he didnt beserk though

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 10:38:18 pm »

Ironically, it isn't the accuracy you usually have to worry about. It is their bravery, people with low scores tend to panic and beserk like little schoolgirls after people start dropping like flies.
...And now I can't help imagining what little schoolgirls going berserk would look like.

It is practically a genre of anime.

These guys still handle it better then them though.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2013, 06:04:40 am »

So i keep watching that animation in the first update, and i am convinced the sectoid was just like "O Hai neighbors! I am human farmer!" or something along those lines as it walked out of the house and was shot.

Posting to watch and i suppose ill request a recruit.

Soldier: Deo
I am good with whatever you want to give me but i would like to have at least 1 grenade on me at all times.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2013, 06:18:53 am »

I didn't even know i was in this, until i died.  :P

These names will have better luck than my nick :
Barry the Baptist
Dick Mountainjoy
Vandy Sagina
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:20:34 am by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2013, 06:57:17 am »

Can I in?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2013, 07:00:34 am »

Joining in when available. Name me Joe Bridger please.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2013, 11:00:03 am »

Yeah, I used to be a big fan of using the HWP, not for it's heavy weapon, but just because it has heavy armour and can tank any reaction shots the aliens might have when you leave the skyranger.

I think later on I just adopted the rookies with smoke grenades strategy instead. It's cheaper and I usually got better results.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7