Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Let's Play Some X-COM Games! - Screenshot LPs  (Read 12364 times)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play UFO: Enemy Unknown - Semi-blind screenshot LP
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 08:46:55 pm »

Well if that's the case, Burnt Pies is pretty screwed. :P

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 09:00:55 pm »

Nah, you should be fine. Panicking soldiers (who survive) gain bravery fairly quickly, and having your Rookies able to hit the broad side of a barn is more useful. After all, you'll be shooting more than you'll be panicking. Though I guess that also means you'll be gaining FA more quickly too. Uh... I'd still lean towards FA for now, at least until you get some elite troops.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 09:18:43 pm »

*Burnt Pies goes beserk!*
He is the second most accurate on the team!

20 bravery isn't game-breaking though. It's the guys with 10 you have to worry about.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Update #2: Crash Course
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 11:52:46 pm »

It's been about a week, and we've gotten some new soldiers in. I've had to lower my criteria for soldiers a bit, but at least we don't have anyone with an FA under 47, or a bravery lower than 20.
One of the recruits calls herself Gentleman Raptor, despite being a woman, and another claims to be an officer from USEC, but he won't tell anyone his real name. Come to think of it, why would an energy corporation have officers? I'm starting to think I've been made a fool of.

Our first UFO!
Time to fly, boys!

And with minimal damage, too. This must be my lucky day.

[COMM RECORDS: XCOM SQUAD 01 - 8/1/1999 - 1530 HRS]
[CMD ROBINSON]: Alright, people. Weapons hot. Show these bastards we mean business.

["MONKEY HEAD"]: Affirmative, Command. We're heading out of the Skyranger- Wait! I see one up there!
["COGNITIVE DISSONANCE"]: I see it, too. Taking the shot...
(gunshots)
[CD]: Target eliminated. Moving out.
(plasmafire)
[CD]: (screaming)
["BURNT PIES"]: Shit! They're right outside the 'ranger!
[MH]: I've got this one, the rest of you, spread out!

(gunfire)
[MH]: This thing's pretty damn dead. Report?
["GENTLEMAN RAPTOR"]: Nothing out here.
[BP]: Not seeing anything.

[BP]: Wait... I hear something... Where the hell are they?
[MH]: Heading to investigate the alien craft... This thing's in pretty good shape for something that just crashed.
[BP]: I see one!
(autocannon firing)
[BP]: Shit, it's fast!
[ROBINSON]: Careful Monkey Head, don't go in there without some backup.
[MH]: What was that command? I'm inside the- Oh shit!

(gunfire, screaming)
["Blankdoor"]: What happened? Monkey Head? No! You bastards!
(more gunfire, alien death-rattle)

[BD]: That was for Mo- (screams)
[BP]: There are two of them holed up in this building. I can see one.
(autocannon firing)
[BP]: Target down!
["STWORCA"]: I've got this one!
(gunshot)
[SS]: Alright. I'm in the alien craft. It's a bloodbath, but it's clear. How are things on your end?
[GR]: I still don't see anythi- wait! Pies! Watch out!
(gunshot)

[BP]: Woah! Raptor! Nice shot!
[ROBINSON]: Good job; looks like that was the last of them. Come on home.
[END RECORD]

Well there's our first op over with. We lost half the squad I sent, but I'll consider any op where we score more kills than casualties a success. Plus, Sworca's a sergeant now! I'm also pretty sure we'd have only lost Cognitive Dissonance if we could open those gorram UFO doors without going through them. Is there a way to do that, or am I stuck blindly walking through doors?
Spoiler: Roster (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:05:48 am by AlleeCat »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Update #2: Crash Course
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 07:17:53 am »

Well there's our first op over with. We lost half the squad I sent, but I'll consider any op where we score more kills than casualties a success.

And that's just one of the reasons I don't sack rookies for low FA/bravery. Even bad soldiers will improve with enough time, and the rest will become sectoid fodder that will hopefully get shot at instead of my good soldiers. Sacking by stats is of course a valid strategy, but it's something I never felt the need for. The way I see it, that heavy plasma doesn't care about your stats when it melts through your head, so why should I?
Shove 'em in the Skyranger with a gun and let god aliens sort them out.

I'm also pretty sure we'd have only lost Cognitive Dissonance if we could open those gorram UFO doors without going through them. Is there a way to do that, or am I stuck blindly walking through doors?

It's possible in TFTD (the sequel), and with at least one mod called UFO Extender, found here:
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Game_Editors
Not possible in vanilla X-COM, though.

One way to avoid door opening-related deaths is:

Feel free the name one soldier after me. No gender/stat requirements. And could you in the future place your updates inside spoiler tags? It would make it a bit easier to read through the thread.

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I am one of the tomatos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 07:36:41 am »

Posting to watch, also requesting a soldier.
It's been a while since I played original XCOM instead of UFO:AI, what weapons do you have available?
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 09:25:21 am »

Ironically, it isn't the accuracy you usually have to worry about. It is their bravery, people with low scores tend to panic and beserk like little schoolgirls after people start dropping like flies.
...And now I can't help imagining what little schoolgirls going berserk would look like.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 09:31:43 am »

...And now I can't help imagining what little schoolgirls going berserk would look like.

Cannibal Holocaust movie pictures it accurately.
No, don't watch it.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 10:12:08 am »

First turn, and I'm down! HURRAY!

Delta's info is correct. I didn't know about the check, but that's exactly how I always breached UFO's regardless.

Also, there is a post-release fan patch available. I *THINK* steam version comes with an early release of that, and I'm fairly certain the update improves the game significantly. I'm talking about sound optimization (with an optional better sound pack), bug fixes, crash fixes. Let me know if you're interested, I can dig the info up.

Posting to watch, also requesting a soldier.
It's been a while since I played original XCOM instead of UFO:AI, what weapons do you have available?

What's UFO:AI? o.O I know of Aftershock, Aftermath and Afterlight as well as Extraterrestrials
*googles* Is that an open source X-Com?

Cannibal Holocaust movie pictures it accurately.
No, don't watch it.

But how can I say no with an intro like that?!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 10:58:51 am »

It wouldnt be an X-COM LP if I didnt die during the first mission in a stuipd and easily avoidable/pointless way.

Top tip when breaching UFO's:

This is a blank sig.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 11:20:47 am »

Top tip for every single second of the game, that is spent on tactical screen.

I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Blankdoor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blank Plays
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 11:35:58 am »

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww damn it! I was hoping Blankdoor would become a legendary badass and survive till end game. My dreams have been crushed!

Top tip for every single second of the game, that is spent on tactical screen.

I also can attest that this is a valid way of playing the game. Though throwing accuracy can be a big thing here, nothing like a botched throw ending your entire squad!

~Blank
I'mma Let's Player as well, just a not very popular one: http://www.youtube.com/user/blankdoor

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 03:42:26 pm »

Ironically, it isn't the accuracy you usually have to worry about. It is their bravery, people with low scores tend to panic and beserk like little schoolgirls after people start dropping like flies.
Justing Beiber?
I would actually suggest that instead of putting people on both sides of a door, that instead you have them like this-

****#*****
         @
      @@
@ at bottom left being rookie who will die horribly, and the two @'s on the right being the expeirenced soldiers who will fire through the open door.  One of the reasons that they are positioned like that is because if they are like this-
****#*****
     @  @

THen if an alien comes in, and one of your soldiers fires on full auto, or fires and misses, then there is a VERY good chance that he will hit the other guy. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 05:41:11 pm »

I was already following this, but I'll throw my hat in as a hapless rookie.

First, getting something off my chest: Aaaagh, the base layout, noooo! So many points of entry for invaders! It is not ruthlessly efficient! D:

Other than that:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hoo boy, I think I just spooled off a third of the most useful parts of UFOpedia from memory. :x

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 06:27:26 pm »

5. This is really gamey, but... We all know night missions are hell. With a bit of effort you can time your Skyranger arrivals to coincide with daylight hours.
I just always thought of that as good strategy.
"Alright men, who wants to go into the dark woods, where you can't see shit unless it is five feet in front of you?" *A few hands go up* "It is ALSO filled with a bunch of aliens who WILL cut a giant hole in your chest, make you it's bitch, and you will THEN get back up, kill your best friend, and then give birth to that alien's babies!  In the dark!  Now who wants to go when it's light out and we can kill these things a mile away with an explosive minigun that lights eveyrthing on FIRE!?" *everyone's hand goes up*
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:30:49 pm by Lightningfalcon »
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7