Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Let's Play Some X-COM Games! - Screenshot LPs  (Read 12331 times)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Let's Play Some X-COM Games! - Screenshot LPs
« on: May 01, 2013, 08:36:30 pm »

Hello and welcome to my first LP! UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-COM: UFO Defense here in the States) was released in March of 1994, (Making it only a few months older than I am) to outstanding reviews, all well-deserved, IMO. If you don't know what the game is about, you've obviously been living under a rock, and you need to go buy this thing right now and play it because it's awesome. I'll be naming all my soldiers after people in the thread and other inside jokes and such. To claim a soldier, all you have to do is post in the thread, and if you want your soldier to be named something other than your forum username, or if you want multiple soldiers, all you need do is ask.
I've titled it semi-blind because I've played a bit of it before, but I never actually got too far. Here's hoping I can change that. :P
I'll probably be relying heavily on reader suggestions, so please pitch in if you feel like you have useful info! :3

I'll try to put links to all the updates here in the OP, assuming I don't run out of room or anything.

Updates:
XCOM-01
XCOM-02
XCOM-03
XCOM-04

Oh look! Another LP! Because I can't finish anything ever.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a game I'm much more familiar with. It takes its name from both the American and European titles for the first X-COM, mashing them together so hard the hyphen disintegrates. It also has cutscenes! Those will be posted in video form, and will be the only videos in this LP. It will also be much easier to get screenshots for this game, because FRAPS actually works with it, unlike UFO:EU.

Oh yeah, and updates:
XCOM-EU-01
XCOM-EU-02
XCOM-EU-03
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:10:48 am by AlleeCat »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play an X-COM game (Interest check)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 10:05:16 pm »

I'll be watching! I love everything X-Com, and I love lets-plays.

If you don't feel like dealing with a mic, you can do a hybrid. Do in-character writeups, with screenshots to highlight things and video of actual combat.

Also, if you are discouraged by other X-Com games, you could look into the "spinoff" UFO series. They are different, and are fantastic.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 04:07:34 am »

We have an Enemy Unknown, a TFTD and an Apoc LP going on now, so I'd say the original sounds good. Or, maybe Xenonauts/TTS?

There's plenty of screenshot LPs of Xcom around, and I enjoy them a lot, so that's a perfectly good way of doing it.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Blankdoor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blank Plays
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 06:39:49 am »

Stealing views from my thread eh?  :P

Well either way its worth it, like Burnt Pies has said I'd go for a pure screenshot LP. I don't know your reasons for no voice so I think this is the best course of action. Also if you have the most experience with Enemy Unknown do that, but we'll pitch in with advice if you pick another one!

Can't wait to see what you decide!

~Blank
I'mma Let's Player as well, just a not very popular one: http://www.youtube.com/user/blankdoor

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 07:37:22 am »

It will be on Superhuman, right? Right?

I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 09:47:29 am »

You are a cruel person
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Blankdoor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blank Plays
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 10:26:33 am »

You are a cruel person

Are you serious? This man knows no difficulty below Superhuman!

~Blank
I'mma Let's Player as well, just a not very popular one: http://www.youtube.com/user/blankdoor

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 10:29:42 am »

PTF.

So many X-Com LP's! So many infact, that I am being put off doing one of the open source UFO:AI that I am so badly hooked on at the moment.
This is a blank sig.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 11:15:57 am »

X-COM Enforcer!

No? Fine, go with the original X-COM game then. Also, posting to watch.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 02:25:36 pm »

We have an Enemy Unknown, a TFTD and an Apoc LP going on now, so I'd say the original sounds good. Or, maybe Xenonauts/TTS?
Xenonauts costs money that I don't have at the moment, but TTS looks pretty cool. I would have to find someone to play it with, however.

X-COM Enforcer!
No? Fine, go with the original X-COM game then. Also, posting to watch.
You know, I'm actually tempted to do Enforcer...
Not now though. :P Maybe later.

Pffff... I barely know enough to survive the easiest difficulty...

Anyway, taking your suggestions into consideration, I'll be going with a screenshot LP of X-COM: UFO Defense. (UFO: Enemy Unknown if you're anywhere other than the US.) I'll update the OP and make a first episode/chapter/update/whatever in a couple hours when I get back home.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 02:25:45 pm »

X-COM UFO Defense is my vote. And yeah, there does seem to be a case of the X-COMS going around.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 02:37:38 pm »

X-COM UFO Defense is my vote. And yeah, there does seem to be a case of the X-COMS going around.

NEVER too much X-Com!

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 02:44:55 pm »

NEVER too much X-Com!

Damn straight.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Update #1: Base Building
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 07:26:30 pm »

So let's dive right in, shall we?

I'll be playing on Experienced, the 2nd lowest difficulty, mainly because I want to at least get further than our first mission. That and picking Beginner would've made me look like I'm not even trying. :P

And of course, we're going with a default base name for now. Later I'll let people suggest names for new bases.

Welcome to the Geoscape, folks. We'll be building our first base in what I'm pretty sure is western Russia. I picked it because it's close to a lot of places, and because I've had bad luck with bases near an ocean. This is a good location in my experirnce, due to being close to a lot of different places, and in the middle of a lot of land.
And now we get into some management stuff.

[AUDIO LOG: CMD ROBINSON - 1/1/1999 - 1300 HRS]
Just got in an hour ago. My office is still a desk and a bunch of boxes, but they've told me to keep regular audio logs, so I've obliged.
I was looking over the personnel files on the ride here. They were supposed to send me the best of the best. Instead I got half a squad that can hardly shoot straight, and the other half is just barely qualified.

I've discharged the ones with a score below 50. Hopefully they'll come back when they're better qualified.

Unfortunately, that leaves me way too understaffed for my liking, so I've sent in a request for more soldiers. We'll see if the next batch doesn't trip on their own shoelaces on the way in.
I've also sent word to the engineering team to start building some storage and living facilities, seeing as how our current capacity is pitiful already.

*knock knock*
Come in.
"Sir-er... ma'am... Johnson has a concussion and I can't find the first aid kits anywhere."
Have you checked the storage room?
"Yes ma'am. I even asked around the lab, but they just looked confused and asked me what a first aid kit was."
Wait... What?
[END OF LOG]

So yeah. Apparently our scientists need to research how to put Band-Aids and morphine in a plastic box.
I'm also requisitioning some stum rods and electro-flares, because they can be very useful. The latter especially during night ops.
Meanwhile, our soldiers have taken to given each other nicknames. I don't know what most of them mean, but hey, whatever they want to do in their spare time, right?

Spoiler: Current Roster (click to show/hide)
The reason I fired everyone with an accuracy for <50 is because I read a strategy guide once that told me to.
Please feel free to tell me how much of a bad X-COM player I am. Nothing too big has happened yet, so I can always modify things. Plus I have a huge budget right now, so spending money isn't too much of an issue.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 07:31:52 pm by AlleeCat »

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play UFO: Enemy Unknown - Semi-blind screenshot LP
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 08:41:47 pm »

Ironically, it isn't the accuracy you usually have to worry about. It is their bravery, people with low scores tend to panic and beserk like little schoolgirls after people start dropping like flies.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7