Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brewing issue  (Read 482 times)

Exitstrategy

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no exit! Oh, Armok! The !!magma!!
    • View Profile
Brewing issue
« on: May 01, 2013, 07:54:30 pm »

Currently I am in year 2 of a new fort (Tinstabbed. Awesome name) and I'm struggling with a drink industry. I have 32 plump helmets in storage, and plenty of empty barrels. For some reason though I keep getting the message that they are cancelling brew drink: need a distillable item. If I try extracting plants, I get an error message pertaining to needing unrotten plant items. Am I doing something wrong here?

-Note: I have my kitchen set to brew plump helmets and not to cook them.
Since when has Dwarf Fortress been about doing things the easy way?

I do believe that it is in part about unnecessarily abusing the opportunities that are presented to you.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Brewing issue
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 07:55:49 pm »

The plants are stored in barrels, aren't they?

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 07:59:11 pm »

Check is all/most of the available helmets are in a single barrel.  If that barrel is grabbed by a hauler in order to go collect another harvested plump helmet then all of them will be unavailable for brewing.

Try to get them spread out over a wider storage area so that at any moment a few are available for brewing at any given time.  (Also a reason to get your farm plots and storage area close to each other to minimize to time barrels are in use for collection.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Exitstrategy

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no exit! Oh, Armok! The !!magma!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 08:03:12 pm »

I checked, and it looks like the problem was storage related. I'm currently increasing storage item stocks and it seems to be helping. Thank you for the help.
Since when has Dwarf Fortress been about doing things the easy way?

I do believe that it is in part about unnecessarily abusing the opportunities that are presented to you.