Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: All of you do revolutionary game design RTD  (Read 2817 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
All of you do revolutionary game design RTD
« on: May 01, 2013, 06:30:58 pm »

You are the designers in the game design business accounting for 80% of your nation's market. Each of you are part of your own company, but you must work together if you want to see games flourish in your land.

About 5 of you should form 1 company each. You will be designing games, mechanics, pieces, might even branch out into computers. Designs work in phases:

Phase I-

Your company can research under a topic (new types of pieces, new mechanics, whatever comes to mind) and be able to estimate how much it will cost to create that object (there's a chance that it will be free, moreso if it's reasonably cheap or easy to make). Your research will be available to all companies when it is made on the turn after you present it (publish a game that uses them).

Your company can also design a product in this phase. The product must be made of already-researched parts.

The first prototype of the designs and research targets will be provided at the end of this phase.

Creating a new game costs 5000C
Starting a research project costs 1000C
Phase II-
In this phase, you will begin refining the prototype and research targets chosen from Phase I. You will only get an idea of the performance of your game and not the entire story. Most problems will be evident after testing.

You can also apply to competitions in this phase and earn the extra money they give. Generally only three games are chosen (ranked), and sometimes it's just the one. You will describe the product with a paragraph, and you can say whatever you want. Outright lies are fair game, but you take big risk in this as your division can lose reputation, as well as face expulsion from the program!

Phase I again-
Phase I is the last phase of the previous turn and the first of the next:You are given any hidden information about the game applicable and learn of the results that come from it. From here, your blueprint is saved, and you can always come back and modify the weapon to release a new modification of it.

Furthermore, paychecks are given at this phase, and extra money is given for various things or at random.

Game Design: Current Tech (as of Turn 1)
Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pieces (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: additinal technology (click to show/hide)

Current Compos:
CheckerCon innovations prize: 1 winner, has to appeal to checker players.
Boys Magazine's top 3: 3 ranked winners, no cash prize, but additional publicity.
Essen wahl: 1 winner, has to appeal to big eater's.

Signup like so:

Company Name:
Current Company Money: 10000C
Spoiler: orders (click to show/hide)

remember that you'll only get paid in phase 3, so don't blow it all in phase 1.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:44:52 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Revolutionary game design RTD
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 06:58:56 pm »

Company Name:  Headshot games

[spoiler=Orders]
Create a game using chess pieces and black and white circles. You move the circles around a board trying to take one full set of chess pieces. First player to do so wins!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:05:20 pm by kj1225 »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 11:52:29 pm »

Will there be any research?

edit: also, clarified the rules on when research goes public- you are meant to have 1 turn to cash in on your innovative game before everyone jumps on the bandwagon (as in real life), not lose research the minute you make it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:15:48 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 06:20:19 am »

Will there be any research?

edit: also, clarified the rules on when research goes public- you are meant to have 1 turn to cash in on your innovative game before everyone jumps on the bandwagon (as in real life), not lose research the minute you make it.

There will be no research to keep this cheap.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: All of you do revolutionary game design RTD
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 06:28:10 am »

Company Name: UltimSoft

Spoiler: Orders (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:22:44 am by Ultimuh »

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 06:36:45 am »

Company Name: Nopuns IntenDo Software (NDS)
Funds: 10000C

I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 07:36:00 am »

(This good enough?)
It's awesome (way ahead of the curve), but you need to research the components.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 07:52:41 am »

Company Name: DarkEntertainmentArts (DEA)
Funds: 10000C

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:46:28 pm by javierpwn »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 12:34:14 pm »

Company Name: the Hatter's Gaming Inc.
Funds: 10000

Spoiler: orders (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:42:09 pm by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 04:07:03 am »

sorry for being slow. There will be an update later today.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 04:08:51 am »

So I should edit mine slightly?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:18:41 am by Ultimuh »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 05:17:45 am »

sure, go ahead.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 05:22:54 am »

Done, I changed my orders.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 08:01:26 am »

Turn1, Phase I results:

Company Name:  Headshot games
Current Company Money: 5000C

You design a really good game, all the beta testers seem to like it, and especially praise the part where you move the circles.

Current Company Money: 4000C

You design an overcomplicated game of dice, that still seems to require very little skill. Your beta testers are disgusted and bored at the same time.
Do you want to try fixing the game(simplify the rules to make it more accessible or add more rules to facilitate better decision making) for 1000C or ship it as is and hope no one notices (the market was pretty empty last year)?

You also manage to invent a paper-based system of information storing for characters. It will take 2000C to get it to prototype stage.

Company Name: Nopuns IntenDo Software (NDS)
Funds: 4000C

You made a checkers type game. Everyone seems to love it, until you realise it's just checkers sideways. Oops?
Do you want to try to change game(risking making it less fun) for 1000C or ship it as is and hope no one notices (it is sideways)?

You are 20 years ahead of your time! It seems one of the designers has a friend interested in micro-computers and they agreed to design a fully working handheld gaming system for 10000C. (This is seriously unheard of, you rolled very well, I don't think anyone else will have one of these until they have a bunch more prerequisites)

DarkEntertainmentArts (DEA)
funds: 4000C

Your card game is a bit meh, some people complain it's way too arbitrary, and other's don't like the card collecting stuff, but the 4-8 demographic tested well.
Do you want to try to improve the game for 1000C or ship it as is ?

You look into the possibility of programming a computer- turns out it's impossible. Yup, your RnD department assures you that computers are a scam and don't actually exist.

Company Name: the Hatter's Gaming Inc.
Funds: 4000

You make an overcomplicated checkers game, which nevertheless brings something fresh to the table. Testers complain it's too complicated.
Do you want to try simplifying the rules for 1000C or ship it as is?

You invent magnetic pieces and boards, they work sideways and even upside down - it's spectacular! Plus there's this cool idea one of the researchers had about fridge doors. 1000C and they can make it reality.

Now you have to apply for competitions and generally write ads for your games.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 08:14:46 am by a1s »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 12:56:39 pm »

Current Company Money: 4000C

You design an overcomplicated game of dice, that still seems to require very little skill. Your beta testers are disgusted and bored at the same time.
Do you want to try fixing the game(simplify the rules to make it more accessible or add more rules to facilitate better decision making) for 1000C or ship it as is and hope no one notices (the market was pretty empty last year)?

You also manage to invent a paper-based system of information storing for characters. It will take 2000C to get it to prototype stage.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:01:25 pm by Ultimuh »
Pages: [1] 2 3