Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What Code Does Dwarf Fortress Use?  (Read 2897 times)

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
What Code Does Dwarf Fortress Use?
« on: May 01, 2013, 04:36:19 pm »

I plan on making a video game soon, and I want to know what type of code Dwarf Fortress uses.

Thanks!--
AlwayzL3git
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What Code Does Dwarf Fortress Use?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 05:14:24 pm »

C++
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 09:54:52 pm »

The code that Toady made for it.

If you' re asking the programming language, I suppose c++, as said by someone else. But as long as you know how to use it, whatever language you pick is probably a viable choice. Unless you pick something dumb, like an assembly language, or pascal.

Haha, pascal.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:34:25 pm »

My school's library actually has books on 6502 and Z80 assembly language. It's all way over my head, but fascinating at the same time. (Half my little Python programs outright refuse to work or became so complicated that I couldn't do anything further with the code I had written.)
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 09:45:58 am »

yeah, pascal.  What a waste that was.

(inflammatory comment removed)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:31:14 pm by Toady One »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 10:55:45 am »

As one counter example, the world's first assembly language programmer was a woman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace

sealclubber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 10:41:54 am »

Totally program a game in FORTRAN or COBOL. I'd be all over that.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 11:18:27 am »

I plan on making a video game soon, and I want to know what type of code Dwarf Fortress uses.

I would have loved to have been able to say "ROT26" in answer to this... ;)

My school's library actually has books on 6502 and Z80 assembly language. It's all way over my head, but fascinating at the same time.
I suspect the problem is that it's way under it.  (6502 and Z80?  Wow, that takes me back.  Probably can remember roughly SHR 0x01 of what I ever learnt, though. ;))

(Half my little Python programs outright refuse to work or became so complicated that I couldn't do anything further with the code I had written.)
http://xkcd.com/844/
also, http://xkcd.com/353/

...leads fairly easily into Delphi and (now) Lazarus...  which I found useful, back in the day.

As one counter example, the world's first assembly language programmer was a woman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace
I admire her.  But can I please complain about Ada the programming language?  In many ways worse than COBOL.  (Although mostly because COBOL was COBOL, so you had to give it some slack for its in-built handicap with its ENVIRONMENT DIVISION, or whatever.)  Oooh look, I must have missed the "Ada 95" revision.  That may have made it better.  Although the fact that it was 'based on Pascal' but wasn't probably confused me at the time.

Totally program a game in FORTRAN or COBOL. I'd be all over that.
Try it in Forth!  There's nothing like a bit of Reverse Cowgirl Polish to get the neurons working overtime. ;)  (With thanks to my old friend Rob, at University, who let me mess about with his Embedded system implementing Forth, before, after or perhaps even during the time he was supposed to make it control a deep-sea sampling probe... ;)

OTOH
(defun Lisp () ( enclosed_by ( ( reverse ( reversed forth just ) ) parentheses ) )
...IIRC ;)

I wonder if Z-Specification is still used?  I remember learning a lot about that.  Of course, then you had to convert it to an actual programming language, because it usually wasn't even a viable pseudo-code in its original form...

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 11:28:58 am »

However, assembly language, that's a different story.  65xxx/x86 assembly separates the men from the boys, from what I've seen, over the years.  If you can master one of those, you can pretty much program anything.

And thinking about it, I've never even heard of a female, of any age, actually writing and compiling x86 assembly language code, from scratch, in MASM/TASM/JWASM/etc.  Ever.  I guess it's possible they exist, though.  ;D

Not that gender is relevant at all (and I really do not know why you need to reference it), but maybe this lady comes close to meeting your exacting standards... :P
This is a blank sig.