Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Ebentijenta: Masterwork Kobold Community Camp (Be 'Bold!)  (Read 12123 times)

Beenoc

• Bay Watcher
  • To live, one must first be born.
    • View Profile
Re: Ebentijenta: Masterwork Kobold Community Camp (Come Claim a Kobold!)
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2013, 07:41:40 pm »

Projects, huh?

Are Bone Blocks a thing? If they aren't can they be modded in? We need giant bone totems for our shamans to meditate under.
Masterwork (What Kobold Camp is a sub-mod of) has a Boneyard that makes Bone blocks, no clue if Kobolds can make it though.
I'll wait for the next wave, and hopefully get here in time for an adult kobold. But if I miss them, I'll take Banante, because he likes to drink liquid evil! Name whoever I pick (adult/Banante) Beenoc and make him whatever you feel the fortress needs the most/what he's best suited for.
This is a dwarf. It is decorated with dwarfiness and menaces with spikes of Brit. Engraved on the dwarf is an image of a dwarf digging a hole. This relates to the digging of a hole by Honeydew the dwarf in 2011.

I was the deceased vessel through which dark magick was done and Necrothreat III was created from the ruins of my old forum posts: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118805.0

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2013, 02:43:51 pm »

@thegoatgod, Thank you very much!  You can absolutely be bolded as Goat, but I'm actually keeping this as a Community Camp not a Succession.  My time of playing is all over the place so I'm always concerned about making it something that passes around!  I'd point you to the other Masterwork Kobold Game going on, but I see you've already found it!

@Nyalathoteps, Projects of any kinds, not necessarily just Mega ones.  But bone totems could certainly be interesting!  We do have (because of Masterwork!) the ability to build totems (I'll highlight it next post as we've got a couple already) but perhaps a statue/totem garden?

@Tinsplint, I'm totally good with ranged and melee!  Currently we've got... 7 'bolds who are in combat in general, but...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  The spanking worked for what it's worth!  The Evil Kobolds ran!

@CogDis, Hey CogDis!  Obaba is indeed available!  You may see her name as Obaba in the pictures for this coming post (and there was a different broker because I ran for a bit before reading up!) but I'll switch her in!  I'm sure BrokenMind won't care, it'll give her more time to shoot at things that aren't actually threats!

@Beenoc, Kobolds have a Bone Chipper which I imagine is similar to the Boneyard.  They can indeed make bone blocks, bone statues, and all manner of other things!  There'll be some new kobolds posted shortly to increase the number of choices.

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2013, 03:33:06 pm »

Strange to think that the kobolds had been working for half a year already in this surprisingly fertile land.  The hunting had been poor, the weather was horrible, but they were surviving which was perhaps the only truly important thing.  The kobolds feasted on giant badger as preparations to improve their lifestyles began.  For one, a second building was crafted in which the migrants could live.  Word was even beginning to spread that kobolds who successfully gave birth to a child would be given special treatment, their own family housing.

As anticipated, the jack rat population began to explode suddenly.  What began as under 10 rats was in the space of a month over 30.  And so the slaughter began.

Perhaps the gods were unhappy for a plague of snakes began, asp vipers harassed the kobolds as they bathed themselves.  The military was called in to deal with the problem.  Splinter charged through the melee to come upon one of the asp vipers, stabbing with his pointy stick and pushing it back with his bracer.  But the viper got a bite through into his right arm, the teeth cutting right down to the bone.  Several stabbings later he spun down and jabbed through the viper's neck sending it's head flying from it's body.  Splinter nodded in calm control of the situation, spat on his enemy's corpse, and moved on to fight again.

Kalras had her own problems.  She had found an asp alone and was soon on it.  She came upon it like a kobold born under a raging bear with stabs to the throat, and a twisting spear in the liver.  Another flick of her wrist took off the monster's head.

BrokenMind, of course, was firing potshots at a black caiman several hundred feet down in the water.  With no danger beyond her own broken mind she fired bola after bola down into the water and into the giant reptile's flesh.

Despite no word having come out of Ebentijenta, there were some interested parties.  Three couples of kobolds came to the camp, the oldest couple pointing out the need for pups.

Anald Shampseibibo: Wave Two

Anti Oninihobinti: Wave Two

Chinta Chobanojeba: Wave Two

Entans Shoninechebs: Wave Two

Shanenty Inibeananti: Wave Two

Shibobe Chempsochans: Wave Two

The final asp was spotted by Tin who gave out a call to arms.  He charged after the snake and fired a bola into it's body, then caught it against the mountain to twist the bola-launcher into it's side.  The asp bit onto it's arm and the two tumbled and slipped in the blood.  For just a moment Tin was stunned before he shook the snake off.

Kalras arrived then swinging her pointed stick and pushing the snake off from the cliff and chasing down the slope.  As Tin nursed his arm, Kalras fought the asp viper, stabbing and biting before she severed it's head.  Tin arrived with a slightly pained look on his face and let out a growl of annoyance.  Another hunting victory for Kalras.

While dragging the asps back to the camp for skinning, Kalras and Maverick ended up walking together.  They each had a weapon and an asp.  “Good hunt?” asked Maverick with a nod toward the snake.  “Yes, good,” responded Kalras with a wide, toothy grin and a nod toward Tin walking behind, “Kalras two snakes.”  Maverick scowled a bit at this and gave a glare in Tin’s direction before asking, “Kalras give Tin?”  After a thoughtful moment, Kalras shook her head and said, “Just carry.”  “Want snake?” asked Maverick hopefully, holding out his own snake corpse.  The shaman considered this and took it before handing the snake she killed to Maverick with a little smile. 

Tin growled under his breath to himself, “Berry better gift snake.”

A clinking, grinding of poorly constructed wheels came from down the hill as GatorFace was down picking plants for drinks.  “Kobolds!” she called excitedly up to the camp and a relay of shouts continued upwards.  After a bit more looking down at the kobolds coming up she added helpfully, “Traders!”

“Tin!” called Shiny Cog as the traders were putting out their various objects.  “Shiny trader!”

Tin frowned and turned his head to the side, “But BrokenMind trader.”

The two turned to look at where BrokenMind was speaking with the traders, pushing forward giant piles of wooden bolas and a couple of statues.  “Doggy!” she cheerfully called out as all of the resources of the camp were put up next a cage with metal armor on.  The trader looked at the pile and raised an eyebrow, “Just doggy?”

Luckily Shiny Cog and Tin were quick to arrive and help out.  “Doggy and... metal,” Tin whispered to BrokenMind with a clap on the shoulder.  “Doggy and metal and pretty glass,” Shiny Cog helpfully suggested.  BrokenMind shrugged at this and relayed the message and the trading was done.

That night that entire camp got together around a small fire.  “Winter come,” muttered Kalras with a glance up at the sky.  The other older kobolds nodded at this.  “Metal for build,” responded Tin. “Doggy for pets,” added BrokenMind. “Good meat,” pointed out Zata with more than a hint of pride on her face.

“We live,” responded Kalras with a slightly far off look on her face.  “Maybe no all.  We live.”

Sorry about the lack of images, not sure how I failed to do all of them!  We are now up to 18 kobolds and I'll have their descriptions up very soon!  That will also come with a major map update.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:06:58 pm by CaptainKobold »

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2013, 03:58:44 pm »

Love it so far, as you said there could be more screenshots but I'm loving it! Appreciate my character being highly involved.

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2013, 04:07:50 pm »

Yeah, I'm really not sure what happened this past season (and a bit into the Winter season).  I just totally forgot that pictures were a thing to be doing!  But we now have MORE kobolds!

Ravenous Space Kobold

• Bay Watcher
  • May all fall to the glory of the kiwi bird!
    • View Profile

I hope the kobolds can survive the winter!
Can't wait for the next part of this camp!
What are you currently trying to get done though?

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold

My goal currently is a little bit simplistic but has been a bit slow going.  I want to get the camp to the point that it is secure from external threats.  As I see it, that has three main requirements.

1) Military Might: Out of 18 kobolds in the camp, 7 are in the military and armed in some way.  This number will likely go up as I'm probably going to assign some of these migrant kobolds to the military as well.  The kobolds have been impressing me very much.  Taking down a giant badger is an activity I've seen kill more than a single kobold and they did it without any loses.  However, they still are not fully armored and ranged-bolds are currently using wood ammo.  Apparently you can make earthenware ammo of some kind which is an immediate short-term goal, but overall I think military is going quite well.

2) Defenses: We are situated on a plateau which is always a wonderful thing.  There is relatively little space to work with right around the plateau, but I'm working on getting some walls up that our archers can shoot through.  Additionally we now have a guard dog tied up by the entrance.  We still need some traps but those will be started ASAP.

3) Sustainable food: We have semi-sustainable food.  I'm not 100% positive the well is working, but we have one well.  Probably not enough to deal with the thirst of the entire camp.  Additionally, we have some brewed drinks, but not nearly enough to sustain us should we be blocked in.  I'm trying to work out a way to get a farm going given the need for soil.

Beyond those goals, there's going to be need for expansion soon.  The plateau is hardly big enough to hold the entire camp as it is, so we'll likely end up using that eventually as a fall-back and supply point with a larger village further out.  Surviving the winter shouldn't be too much of a problem unless we get hit by some kind of an assault.  An assault would be a very, very big problem, especially if they have ranged attackers.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

You're making me wanna play kobold camp now... Also I would think that any hostile bolds would just be another tribe right? Or what are they?

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold

Well, there is a currently running Kobold Camp Succession Game that looks as though it could use some more overlords! (Yay cross promotion!)  I'd go in myself, but I'm terrified of doing succession stuff.  I really encourage you to try out Masterwork for Kobold Camp.  It's played very polished thus far (despite Meph's insistence that it isn't) and has lots of very fun, cool features I'm looking forward to trying out more stuff with.

I'm not 100% certain what hostile kobolds would be.  It didn't even occur to me to look at their description when they were over here.  I believe that they are a different RAW creature, so they likely have differences from OUR kobolds, but they may be approximately the same species!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

It just seemed logical to me that there'd be some  kind of division between the two kinds. Campers who build thier own stuff and herd jackrats and whatnot and Nomads who go from cave to cave, stealing whatever isn't nailed down to survive.

Of course this would make the nomads and campers mortal enemies.

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold

Actually, at some point I'm going to be building an awesome new building that lets you send a kobold off to try to steal things.  It's a VERY high risk endeavor, but it can also lead to some wonderful rewards.  As I see it, it's the perfect way for a wounded-to-uselessness kobold to prove their worth one last time...

Ravenous Space Kobold

• Bay Watcher
  • May all fall to the glory of the kiwi bird!
    • View Profile

Quick question about kobold camp since I have been playing it a bit.
How do you web traps with your trap spiders?

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold

I'm not completely sure about that!  I'm pretty certain that trap spiders weave webs which people can be caught in.  I'd imagine that the trick would be to pen them in an area you want to fill with webs for a while, though needless to say that could make it awkward for kobolds to get in if it was the entrance to your camp.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Ebentijenta: Masterwork Kobold Community Camp (Be 'Bold!)
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2013, 07:15:59 am »

It's played very polished thus far (despite Meph's insistence that it isn't)
But it isnt. Its only half finished.  ???

You web traps by buildings taps, a fortification and a spider behind it. Enemy comes along, spider shoots webs, done.

The wells work if they have an 'active' in the 'q' workshop menu. You just look at them and you'll see. But they need a few ticks to lower the bucket for each z-lvl. You can actually see the rope and bucket if you look while someone uses it.

The kobolds that attack you are simple vanilla kobolds. The ones you play have a caste system, and leave normal corpses. The invading kobolds leave "bags of loot" thats why I couldnt take them for your race.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Nyalathoteps_Cousin

• Bay Watcher
  • I wish I'd spelled my name correctly...
    • View Profile

Actually, at some point I'm going to be building an awesome new building that lets you send a kobold off to try to steal things.  It's a VERY high risk endeavor, but it can also lead to some wonderful rewards.  As I see it, it's the perfect way for a wounded-to-uselessness kobold to prove their worth one last time...

Well you know what they say, "Fortune favours the 'bold!"
Every time you post an update I am sad because the timer on when another update will be made is reset.

Goddamnit its like crack and I've been injecting it straight into my eyeballs.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8