Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

Author Topic: The Banners of Heart: ☼Masterwork the Fortress☼  (Read 34113 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: The Banners of Heart: ☼Masterwork the Fortress☼
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2013, 02:23:26 pm »

####

Slate, 42.

A migrant wave of 22 brings our population up to 38.  The great news is, there were about five dwarves in that group who were veteran warriors, and know at least a bit about armor and axes.  The bad news is, twice as many mouths to feed, and our food supplies are getting really low!  We need some gathering ASAP, and trade goods for caravans too.

Two more of the migrants are acting strangely, spying out the production facilities, and the refuse pile.  I don't really know what to do, noone back in my home village would ever behave this way!  I remember that the previous overseer Meph mentioning that prayers to Armok can soothe and perhaps cure the poor souls.  But that seems like a lot of trouble.  That's no way to run an efficient fortress!  It will be much easier for everyone if they just sacrifice themselves to the blood god. 

Felsite, 42.

Paper Plague and Fissure Steelpoint didn't die the first time they sacrificed themselves to Armok.  But they were good troopers.  They went to the med bay to lay down for a moment, went right back and sacrificed themself again.  Armok must have been double-pleased, because the armory stockpile sure is filling up with wonderful bloody axes.  So I was thinking, we have a bunch of skilled axedwarves, but not enough axes, and a lot of surplus peasants, but not enough food.  I'm going to ask Priest Bane if he can come up with a plan to solve this puzzle!  I'm sure whatever he thinks of will be great.

The lookouts spy some elves, luckily, they're friendly Silvan elves!  Well, maybe "friendly" isn't the right word.  They were actually pretty condescending.  But for a couple handfuls of stone crafts we gain some badly needed wood, and a couple dozen of strawberries to brew for booze and to create seed stock for a farm plot.  I hope it's still early enough in the year to get a crop in.  Fortunately Meph's work crews swarmed to the plot and planted a whole bunch of seeds in just a moment.

Hematite, 42.

Today we open the magma-gates and begin powering the new furnaces.  The mechanics are very excited about how safe it is, with obsidian mechanisms, grates and floodgates to protect against the Firemaidens and other creatures we've seen flitting about in the fires.  But of course they did a good job, they're dwarves after all!  Right now I'm more concerned about getting some iron and silver smelted fast.  We still need armor and we need much more and better goods to trade with in the future.

We also set up water-plumbing to drain the local murky pool to a convenient cistern deep in the fort.  It uses special diagonal pipes to depressurize the water.  Too bad we forgot to use a water pump to destagnate it too.  Also too bad, that an evil elf  assassin snuck in under our walls in the drained pond bed.  Our guard kitten spotted her and scared her away!  And also the cat died.  These Ashlanders use glass daggers, but they're some kind of super-sharp volcanic glass, not very much at all like our regular soft glass.

Galena, 42.

The furnace-dwarfs are smelting some little clusters of platinum and aluminum we've found so far, and building clay furnaces too.  I think we will have some nice crafts soon.  Rattlesnake men and especially Nymphs are being quite annoying thieves.  They're so fast!  I killed one of them after a hunter clipped it with a bolt, so I think we should make some more crossbows and maybe some copper bolts.

Outside the gates is swarming with Warlock snatchers, and wild dire lions.  We could use some turrets or war-pets, badly.  We do badly need the wood and gathering, though, so I am hesitant to simply shut all the gatherers in.  The hunters say that if we draft them into a nice crossbow milita and have them patrol the wall perimeter, maybe they could keep things under control too.  In happier news, a nice strawberry harvest is coming in, so we won't starve or become a dry fort quite yet this month!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2013, 07:09:27 pm »

####

Sandstone, 42

Even more migrants, up to 57 dwarves and they all want to eat!    Finally our hunters are having some luck.  We have a little bit of meat, and tallow for cooking meals with eggs.  We use the skull totems to build more shrines, and recruit a bunch of acolytes for food prayers non stop.

Timber, 42

A dwarf crafts "Sand Blossom," a perfect name for an oil-shale quern!  The dwarven traders are here.  We have silver and platinum goods to trade, but they're all pretty basic quality, so we couldn't afford a lot of expensive stuff.  We bought food, enough seeds to have an underground farm plot, and a few toolkits.

Moonstone, 42

We can hear lots of strange Chaos Dwarven warcries from the hinterlands, even though we haven't actually seen them yet.  Luckily we delved out a marble quarry, so steel is online.  The forgemasters start mail, helms, plus axes for those who still need it.  Also we make some iron crossbows.  Might as well since we have more hematite than wood at the moment.

Opal, 42

A crossbow squad is set up, and the masons have built archers' towers at four corners of our fortress.  Now they can support us in the axe-band as we try to chase down these thieves.  Iron armor is nice but it sure is heavy to lug around, since we aren't really used to it yet.  Meph and I set up our own squad with orders to train in small groups two at a time.  Hopefully the dwarves will like to spar.  You know what they say:  "A sparring fortress is a powerful fortress!"  Well, trust me, people say it.

There are so many assassins trying to sneak in the base: goblins, deepdrow, and even vile chaos dwarves.  We need some better war pets than these little kittens.  I do station a particularly observant turtle up in a station overlooking the main entrance.  It seems like we've been on duty for months.  Meph is being pretty grumpy about the military duty, even though he's the commander.  The theives stab a couple of our civilians, but I think they'll be OK.  Plus our archers shot a couple of the assassins, and the militia got some good live practice finishing them off.  Life on the frontier just keeps getting more exciting!

Obsidian, 42

Hivekeepers are collecting some cochineals and silkworms.  I don't actually know quite what to do with the little bugs, but that's for the next overseer to figure out.  The next overseer can also get ready to trade with the Drow, too.  Their caravan got here in late obsidian, but the broker is being a little lazy.  There should be some crafts already gathered up!  Here's a drawing of the fort and its new archery towers overlooking the lowlands.  If you look really closely I bet you can see Observant Turtle!

And that's it for Year 42.  I'm going to retire from overseeing and focus on sparring, and getting ready to fight the Chaos Dwarves when they come back with a real fighting force!  Oh, and diplomacy.  Whatever that is.

#################
Masterwork:  The Fortress.  Spring 43.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7626
#################
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 07:17:11 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2013, 07:46:58 pm »

I'll read and comment on your turn shortly, I just wanted to leave this here for the next overseer:

Download Alpha Tileset

I would like to request that this fort is continued using this set, I want to see what people think of it. It is phoebus with new walls, the nestbox/bucket shows more of its content, it has the brazier/candelabra I already include in Masterwork, it shows waves behind the numbers used for liquids (which causes the problem of people wanting to either see numbers or graphics, now they can do both) AND I still have found 4-5 tiles I can safely use in Masterwork for even more graphical shenanigans. Havent quite figured out what exactly, but more decorations probably.

To install it just drop it into data/art and replace the old one.

EDIT: What in hell is wrong with those chaos dwarves? They have bodies on their bodies...

EDIT2: About the playthrough:

Looks good. I am surprised that you dont dump the snatcher and thieves into the volcano, thats what I made 200 tiles worth of bridge for you. :) The archer towers look good, that we have underground water with wells near the better hospital is very good... although I am a bit disappointed we couldnt get any hellfire landmines. If we ever get any, It would be awesome to put them in a tower over a remote-controlled hatch to dump them on invaders. Like a murder hole in real fortresses.

Really like your migrant text as well, "I'm a tanner" "Whats a tanner, you will handle the embassy" "What?"
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:00:22 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2013, 08:35:25 pm »

EDIT: What in hell is wrong with those chaos dwarves? They have bodies on their bodies...

It looks like HUMANOID_JOINTS contains CON tokens that aren't compatable with HUMANOID_4ARMS of the Myrmidons.; it was sneaky because the error log is clean.  Probably the Equite mutant is messed up too in a similar way.  I'll delete HUMANOID_JOINTS in a  next version, I think that will fix it.  5FINGERS should be ok because it uses CONTYPE:GRASP instead of CON.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2013, 09:22:20 pm »

So... is this a fix you just posted? ^^ And I dont remember doing any fancy castes for the chaos dwarves, they were carbon copies of dwarves. ^^
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2013, 10:24:17 pm »

Tzeentch made me do it!!  8)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2013, 10:31:56 pm »

No, he didnt. He is standing right here, on the right speaker of my PC, looking mighty smug at not having messed up anything lately. Like falling down and breaking the tip off one of his wings, the crazy bastard.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2013, 12:52:43 am »

So it's my turn, yeah?
I'll read and comment on your turn shortly, I just wanted to leave this here for the next overseer:

Download Alpha Tileset

I would like to request that this fort is continued using this set, I want to see what people think of it. It is phoebus with new walls, the nestbox/bucket shows more of its content, it has the brazier/candelabra I already include in Masterwork, it shows waves behind the numbers used for liquids (which causes the problem of people wanting to either see numbers or graphics, now they can do both) AND I still have found 4-5 tiles I can safely use in Masterwork for even more graphical shenanigans. Havent quite figured out what exactly, but more decorations probably.

To install it just drop it into data/art and replace the old one.

...crap, more stuff to do. I'm gonna find a way to screw this up, mark my words.
Downloading, hopefully I'll play tomorrow if life doesn't get in the way again.

...wait, I have to mow the lawn tomorrow. Crap!
Edit: whoops, forgot to download the newest MW version. That'll delay my turn a little, sorry
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 01:54:04 am by chaosgear »
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Navatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2013, 03:13:21 am »

Nice read.   If the Fortress somehow survives the current list of overseers I would be willing to have a crack at it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2013, 01:05:03 am »

Updated the first post, 6-7 turns are set so far. Chaosgear mentioned that he did not have time these last 2 days, but lets see how today goes. :)

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2013, 08:30:02 am »

The fortress lives on, lads, I've just been swamped lately. I have been playing, and I'm sorry its taking so long, but I'm afraid I can't post an update right now.
I have played up to late summer. There have been deaths, births, more deaths, possessions, and named deaths.  Fun stuff.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2013, 03:51:55 pm »

I've never read or played Masterwork before.  Reading this thread is almost like reading a DF lets play for the first time, in the sense that I don't know the game mechanics or what everything does, so its all quite intriguing.  Whats a toolkit creature, and why did it get murdered by giant slugs?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2013, 04:00:18 pm »

Dwarves have a bit of technology (an optional part of the mod) and can produce landmines and turrets, among other things. You can fill them with different materials, make a web-turret or a fire-landmine for example. Since I needed a based creature to transform into these landmine/turret constructs, I made a small, immobile, harmless toolkit creature. Its a toolkit, body is a case, insides are iron tools. You can buy them at embark or from caravans. You bring them to your machine factory, build a landmine or turret, and the toolkit will transform.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2013, 08:51:28 pm »

Meeeeeph
Dangit, Meph!
Meph!
The anubites, Meph!
The freaking anubites!
Why, Meph?
Whyyyy???

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2013, 09:06:50 pm »

Im in!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20