Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: The Banners of Heart: ☼Masterwork the Fortress☼  (Read 34104 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ - V.3 - Succession Fort. Who is up for it?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 03:17:45 pm »

Well, apparently we do die due to infected wounds caused by slugs and like blood sacrifices. Oh, and we do have a 5-tile wide, 40-tile long bridge that goes over magma. And a lever.  8)

Not much of importance did happen in winter. We were ambushed by a group of rattlesnake-men, one even sneaked all they way into the forge before being spotted, but they ran away quickly... we did finish our bridge, to protect us from any serious harm. And two Kobold thieves came by, who gave themselves away with their noises, even before being spotted:

Both of them got away...

And at the end of winter, our proud fortress stands... proud... I guess. People are happy to ecstatic, we have about 100 meat, a few drinks left, 2 wells, are well protected, have Shrine, Altar and Temple, no one is injured... Here the overview:

And with this I give the save to smake.

Notes:
Not much booze left, but shouldnt be a problem. People are happy and we have water.
Bookkeeper is still working hard, but you can take him off his job soon.
We need tradegoods for next autumn. A lot. I ordered hellfire landmines and a ton of other stuff.
The one lever we have should be ovious. He is in the dining room, linked to the four bridges.
Please dwarf "Jimboo" as any male dwarf, and "CaptainKobold" as the weaver called "dagger".

Save:
The Banners of Heart: Masterwork the Fortress
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 03:32:27 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ - V.3 - Succession Fort. Who is up for it?
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2013, 03:26:27 pm »

Don't mind me, just ptw.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

ILBane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Banners of Heart: ☼Masterwork the Fortress☼
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2013, 03:49:20 pm »

Dwarf! I need a Dwarf!!!

Name's Bane, Preacher is my profession if possible

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 04:10:21 pm »

It could be that they failed and it could be that this is just the first step of a giant kobold campaign to lower moral.  Each time they sneak in and squeak it is a squeak of rebellion and rejection of dwarven ideals.  They clearly returned to the Kobold Warrens to songs of victory.

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 04:14:45 pm »

PTW
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 06:08:01 pm »

Got it!  The fort looks in good shape.  I'll have to think a bit how to secure in case the Ashlanders ambush us already this spring.

I like your hallway that goes the whole ring surrounding the volcano on every Fort layer :D
It'll be a fun fortress layout.

So.... what is about hauling all that slag to the trade depot?
 ???
*suspicious*

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2013, 06:19:22 pm »

Well, slag is worth nothing, so you can just add it to the trade. Trader complain when you give them 1 expensive item against 20 small ones, because of the item count... give them 1 expensive item and 19 0-value slag bars, and everything is fine. :)

Maybe I should give slag negative value, you would have to pay traders to take it.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2013, 06:51:03 pm »

Yeah I see why it's useful, I never did it because i figured it's illegal, since we can't stockpile it I didn't think it was OK to store it at the depot.   8)
(.... although I may have disassembled the smelter and just built a new one once or twice...)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:56:34 pm by smakemupagus »

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2013, 07:27:12 pm »

Hey, guys! I heard about this awesome new thing called the slag pit! All the cool dwarves are doing it!
...unless it got changed in this version? I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. If so, disregard this post.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2013, 07:28:49 pm »

Yes, I know, right? I met the guy that wrote it. Awesome invention, slagpits and all.  :P (no, they didnt change)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2013, 07:35:37 pm »

But my dwarves have better things to do than run a slag furnace!  Like, haul slag to a trade depot suspended atop the volcano, and set up a device to drop the whole trade depot into the volcano once it's filled with elv.. i mean SLAG.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2013, 07:37:18 pm »

Thats what the bridge is for. It works marvelously, I tested it on some wildlife/kobolds after the winter.

enisea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2013, 06:57:31 am »

Can I have a turn too?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2013, 12:27:00 pm »

I've decided finally to do it - to migrate to the new border post, "Masterwork: the Fortress"!  It's a famous location throughout all the mountainhomes, a towering volcano, with plenty of hematite.  I was the finest tanner in my home village, and I've swung a battle axe once or twice, so I'm sure I'll do well on the frontier.

#####

I'm at the immigration station now!  Some of the other new dwarves are signing up for new jobs too.

"I'm Captain Kobold.  Weaver,"  says the first.

"Okay.  You now do everything."  The bookkeeper didn't even lookup.  "Run along to any workshop that needs tasks done, or grab some blocks and build the walls."

"Wait, what?  No seriously, I'm a really good weaver.  I can make some valuable cloth stuff if you keep other people away from the weaving shop."

"Overseer Meph's orders.  We don't need lazy craftsdwarves loitering around idle.  No offense.  Get to work."

The second Dwarf approached.  "Well, I'm a really good brewer.  That's always in high demand right?  My name is Jimboo."

"Hmm.  We don't have any plants though.  You're still a mason too.  Get to work."

Well, my turn, I guess.  "Hi there!  I'm Smakemupagus."

"Not anymore.  We already had a Smakemupagus.  He got mortally wounded by a terrible creature and died a slow, painful death.  From now on your name is Smake II.  I see here on your papers that you're an Adept Ambassador.  Great.  You're the new overseer effective immediately."

"No no, I don't even know what is an ambassador!?  I was a tanner back home."

"We don't have tanners here anymore.  Trust me, you're an ambassador.  Get to work."

####

Granite, 42

There are so many interesting touches here -- I've never seen anything like the hallways that run around the perimeter of the great volcano!  There is a 6-urist deep shaft from the mountaintop straight down to the dining hall.  I don't know whether it's supposed to be a skylight to fight off cave-sickness, or a pit to drop cat giblets to develop harded psychopathological tendencies.  I better toss some cats in sometimes just to be sure!  Life here in the provences sure is exciting.

Holy Armok's beard we're out of booze.  And there's no plants in the stockpiles, and no seeds.  This could get interesting!  I ask some gatherers to head out and grab some plants, but there just isn't a lot out there.  That nice bookkeeper I met at immigration was named Bane, and he wants to become a priest.  I tell him it's OK to go pray at the shrine for some booze.  Maybe we should hire a few more priests some day.

I heard rumors that there are elven Ashland assassins somewhere in this neighborhood!  That's pretty exciting too, but the dangerous kind of exciting.  A couple of us are OK with an axe, but there's simply not enough armor to go around.  I've heard elves tend to have really good weapons too, so iron armor might not even help too much.  I hope that we'll only see single elven assassins rather than a big ambush, but you know what they say.  "Hope never secured a fortress!"  We pasture a sentry kitten outside the main bridge.  You know what they say, "Pasture a kitten out front, and now your fort is invincible!"  OK, well, someone should have said it.

Miners map out some plumbing and expanded work space to convert our little metal shop into a real magma forge hall, and masons continue to finish the curtain wall.  Wow, tasks get done pretty fast here, since everyone chips in to help.  Maybe this Meph character was on to something!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2013, 01:22:01 pm »

There's a strange Kobold thief who just stands still and isn't targetable by the military (they accept the kill order, but don't actually go there and do anything.)  He still terrifies the peasants even though he doesn't move.  Anyone ever experience this?  It's actually becoming a real problem, as the peasants are all getting pretty terrified/thirsty.  I guess I can draft them all into squads and order them to walk past, but he's overlooking the whole entrance to the fort unfortunately.

ed.  OK, I temporarily opened a back door, and then he went away anyway.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:32:27 pm by smakemupagus »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20