Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20

Author Topic: The Banners of Heart: ☼Masterwork the Fortress☼  (Read 34095 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: The Banners of Heart: ☼Masterwork the Fortress☼
« Reply #270 on: August 29, 2013, 03:26:52 am »

What exactly do you mean by "buggy" things?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 29, 2013, 05:04:02 am »

I'll make a list for you but there've been no biggies and this is an older release.  The bifrost, a few things like that but it's late Winter now and I'm winding things down in order to hand this off. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 29, 2013, 08:29:59 am »

2nd Obsidian, late winter.

GreenJeans, our best Guilded farmer has just died of thirst.  I don’t know why, she was uninjured and just hanging out in that grassy area to the East.  There was an easy path inside and when her icon starting blinking, all labors were disabled.  She just stood there and dehydrated to death.  Natural causes?

The invited Elves came with only one wagon and it holds 10% of a dwarven wagon.  Still, got rid of lots of stuff.  Then insulted them again with a bar of ash from the surface; not the first time I’ve mis-clicked.  Oh well, they’re just Elves.  They brought nothing of interest at all, a few barrels of bitterroot poison which we now already have in stock.  Some thread, that’s about it.  Cleared out a lot of clothing cast-offs before the mistake; at least our broker had the foresight to do many smaller trades before getting his ash handed to him.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Torment Terrorcrevice, our dumbest dwarf.  That’s saying a lot.  He’s been standing in place for a full season – doesn’t seem to get hungry (no backpack) or need to sleep in a bed.  Doesn’t respond to military orders.  Standing there, preventing construction of the wall.  We even d-N’d a wall section next to him, doesn’t matter.  I’d really rather not deconstruct the pink bridge but the plan was to have a dedicated Toxicist close to the front lines for muster and that large, grassy plain has been the scene of many pitched battles.  Most of the magic wands were lying out there and it was a long and dangerous ‘fetch’ for the dwarves – guaranteed to bring at least an ambush.  Now some of the new armor and good weapons are lying out there, too; despite orders, the veterans seem content to stand and watch from the strategic high ground while recruits run to their slaughter.  That will be a good place for more cage traps.  The magma works are very crowded and I’ve been trying to expand the area for dedicated stockpiles, moving out slowly, w/ guards, enclosing small spaces.  Very small; we lost a squad of sorta-trained recruits before I learned the lesson about being greedy on expansion.  Now, we move out slowly.  The point of that not-yet-room: when the wall is complete and the steel bridge is linked, it can be opened to the magma works from the inside without worry (another hard lesson; there are some Orc and Goblin bones within the walls in places they shouldn’t be).  Now that we have some of the better poisons, I thought to up the military with that Toxicist.  That’s hard to keep track of so the way I do it is, a workshop with a dedicated stockpile adjacent.  Weaponsmith makes javelins out of a distinctive metal – cobalt or whatever – and the dedicated stockpile is set to accept only those while others have that metal disabled.  Then after coating, squads are re-equipped with those new weapons.  All other javelins are then traded away regardless of value.  Then repeat as necessary with steel and reasonable metals.  Cumbersome and I’m sure there’s a better way but it works.  Except Torment refuses all orders to move his dumb ass out of the way.
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 29, 2013, 10:50:35 am »

Does anyone know what this is?

It’s way down on level 104 (- 40z) and someone went to considerable effort to set it up.  Future MountainHome, maybe, with an eye towards a persnickety noble?  It’s reached over a magma channel some distance from the volcano by a single tile staircase and there’s nothing else close by.  The orichalcum bridge is lever controlled (Ouch!  Cheap lay pewter is the same color although it is pretty).  Thing is, the lever is inside the rooms.  ??  To isolate a noble, the lever would be outside.  Inside levers are for linked cages behind doors.   :)  There are display cases (and – nice touch with that one, Meph) containing some of the fortress’s artifacts and a smoldering Balrog head.  Cool.  With the lever inside, this is effectively a fancy survival shelter.  Although come to think of it, with my military skills having one of those with seeds, picks, some beds and charcoal wouldn’t have been a bad idea. 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #274 on: August 29, 2013, 10:08:28 pm »

orichalcum bridge
My god, why? Raze it down, make something useful from it. Mages, Weapons, Golemhearts, anything.

But yeah, its a panic room if the fort is overrun. I would stockpile a pick in it as well.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 30, 2013, 07:42:39 am »

10th Obsidian.

- Orb Lash, Dwarven child has died of thirst.  Why isn’t anyone filling the pond in the hospital?
- Tattoo Scapeboot is resting in his coffin in the Tombs but his stinking rotten corpse is spreading miasma across 30 tiles in one of the slag pits?
- A Forgotten Beast has come from offscreen, 2nd cavern.  Has anyone ever seen an FB with an easy-to-pronounce name?  A huge Cyclops dinosaur, poisonous.  From the tile designations, a previous Overseer had been planning to harvest/explore that cavern.

The voracious cave crawlers have all reverted to a wild state.  I’ll leave that for next year; they’re in cages and can be re-trained or used in recruit training.

14th Obsidian, late winter.
The Drow diplomat has arrived, two squads sent to protect him; this will be our last chance to get rid of ‘stuff.’  Two weeks to go and I’m working to get things in order to hand off.  I think I’m a decent Quartermaster but I really suck at Field Marshall.  We have at the moment 174 dwarves.  That’s only 9 less than early Spring but we’ve lost a couple of children to snatchers and two full squads of armored but poorly-trained troops.  I think we’ll leave that Forgotten Beast to roam the cavern for awhile, it seems sealed off.
Back to population for a moment: Therapist shows 16 peasants but most of them are now trained with a moodable skill.  The extra forges were built to train newbies as armorsmiths and weaponsmiths (not that it seems to have done any good).  I like to have soldiers with metalworking as highest moodable skill, then a squad can be set with some scheduled downtime to avoid the unhappy thoughts of the draft and it always seems to be *those* guys who catch a mood as craftsdwarf while on leave.  But we’ve gone through a lot of recruits, the population dropped and there was a baby boom.  The unskilled peasants in training are 16 more than we had just two months ago and there are 29 babies and children presently in the works.  Well, it’s something to do with all that copper and zinc.
- Lifemancers are very useful; GreenJeans is back.   That’s good, he’s our best Planter.

Illithid:

-There’s an Illithid wandering now next to the Forgotten Beast – I *think* that cavern is sealed but I thought that twice before.  Will keep an eye on him but with two weeks to go, definitely something for next year.  That’s in the 2nd cavern so the 3rd one must really have interesting things going on.  Three Illithids now, might take something pretty substantial to deal with them.
- “finish peeking in on our conversation”  -- isn’t there supposed to be a conversation before that screen pops up?

20th Obsidian.
- Steel, our now Merchant Guild broker, has been standing in the Depot for a week.  Menu hasn’t opened yet.  He’s just standing there. 
- Panopticon evidently ordered sauropods because there’s a half-dozen in the Depot, if Steel ever gets his act together.  Come to think of it, I guess that was me; trading was going on 1st Granite.  Another two days of standing around and we’ll switch brokers.
- GreenJeans came back to us looking 147 years old.  This second life thing seems to come with a price.
- ‘All hands on deck’ bringing stuff to the Depot for trade but this will be the last time not only because the year is ending but everything close by has already been moved and shipped.  Now, it’s much faster to use smashing bridges at closer locations.
- Booze is down to 212 and that’s below some magic number because dwarves “are starting to work more slowly because of its shortage.”  Just what this fortress needs, slower moving dwarves.  A bard is again playing a quick jig – a noticeable difference in speed.
22nd – I give up.  Steel still just standing there, most other appraisers asleep, Axe Wavespear was told to stop detailing walls (1/3, practicing) and get to the Depot.
- The dwarves of Bannerheart are now knowledgeable in training voracious cave crawlers; I put ‘em in the Training Room but no matter what orders, seems somebody was bound and determined to re-train them.  Wasted a month on setting up that room – should have stuck with the Orcs.   

25th Obsidian.
-Man, these Drow came loaded with bloodsteel.  Greatly overpaying and gifting them last Spring seems to have paid off.  And Ha!  Look at that!  One week to go in the year and our bloody Commander got his pet turkey.   :)
- Speaking of which, bloody armor of Armok sure isn’t worth very much; well-crafted steel is worth 5 times more.  I don’t mean to sound sacrilegious but shouldn’t a prayer be answered with good quality?
- For trading goods, it’s hard to beat volcanic trap components from a skilled weaponsmith.*  But our volcanic forge seems to be offline, dunno why.  With those extra metallurgists and the furnaces blasting out that silver, mithril we now have.  Slade, steel and obsidian are stockpiled and visible right next to the forge.  Still, all is red-ed out.  Sometimes that happens, maybe in a few days it will be working again.  We’ve traded away everything within easy reach except the things we want to keep.  (A bladed, basic or fine-crafted steel musket isn’t worth very much but the next Overseer may want to train a squad of sharpshooters.)  Since we lost our legendary armorer, we traded for more of the Drow bloodsteel shields and some extra mail shirts.  Along with a few good shields we’ve made (welded mithril, before my time), the human Shields of Faith and a couple of funky full-body shields coming from random experiments at the Researcher, we’re covered.
- Torment got it together finally and is no longer blocking construction of that wall next to the metalworks.  Maybe he wasn’t dumb so much as missing a thigh.  It seemed others were bringing him food and water but nobody was helping him to the hospital (?).  I thought about building a bed on top of him but he’s wandering the halls now, content to hop on one leg.  He’s been warrened to the hospital, is going the wrong direction.

* Oh yeah, forgot: our cooks are now skilled up to where they make expensive, lavish meals.  The kitchens are way off-screen, easy to overlook.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 07:52:31 am by jimboo »

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 30, 2013, 10:21:35 am »

Training continues, this time in full armor.  Even copper stops the bites and scratches, trains armorsmith as highest moodable skill.  Bannerheart had 50+ with Engraver as highest moodable skill last Spring.

There are two Training Rooms with retracting bridges over pits.  One of them is also isolated by a raised bridge instead of a door so ranged dwarves can practice against live targets (Giant Wrens, bats in cages).  Each has a stockpile for mechanisms so linking cages is a bit quicker.  Squad G2 is getting unhappy about the draft, they’ll just have to get over it.
Damn – forgot the cloaks: grimelings are now choking the dwarves.  I really should have picked the caged Orcs.  And now we’ve lost another recruit, strangled.  Maybe mithril cloaks?  We have some dragonscale also in inventory.

Grimeling down:

Perhaps copper weapons, put in a few quick debilitating hits?  The carpenters are now making some wooden spears, they also have an edge in Masterwork.  Each training session has been followed by lengthy convalescence and the loss of a recruit. 

Clothing:

The dwarves are starting to wear a lot of worn out clothing.  An area close to the main staircase and previous workshops was enlarged for a Tailors, dyer and loom.  Since this is the pretty part of Bannerheart, at least some thought went into design and smoothing.  A room with door was set to have a refuse pile to allow cast-offs to degrade more quickly but I mis-keyed and it filled with quivers and backpacks.  Out of time, no idlers to fix.

A War Unicorn has died of old age.  And now,
Springtime has come.  Saving, wrapping up.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 30, 2013, 10:46:56 am »

I am going on holyday tomorrow. If you're not posting the save today, you'll have to ask someone else to take Stonesense screenshots or wait for me to return.
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 30, 2013, 07:24:18 pm »

Well, it's nice to see others are reading.
Actually, following with great interest. Awesome write-up, and much to learn from it.
-
V.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 30, 2013, 08:47:23 pm »

Actually, following with great interest. Awesome write-up, and much to learn from it.
Hey, thanks for the kind words.  A bad example can still be a valid teaching tool.   :)

I am going on holyday tomorrow. If you're not posting the save today, you'll have to ask someone else to take Stonesense screenshots or wait for me to return.

Hi Apani -- here's the save:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7949
if you have time to Stonesense the volcano on the surface at least before you head out, that'd be much appreciated.  My laptop will play the game, not that program. 

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 31, 2013, 05:49:42 am »

It's too late now, your post wasn't there when I went to bed. Perhaps it's because of time zones.
Anyway, I hope you'll find someone else to take screenshots. If you are looking for a way to solve white grass problem, I think you should ask Meph. I'd also made a topic about it on the MW subforum.
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 31, 2013, 07:05:26 am »

The save should be playable on any laptop.

Bannerheart is an older release but now it’s kinda fun to play and there’s lots still to do and learn; I’ve uploaded the save but will keep it going (on my own) while working out some numbers stuff (multiverse, I think it’s called).  This version also has the Dark Church.   :)

I’ll put all the notes together in a Wrap Up for the next Overseer but it will take at least another day.  There be many, many notes.   

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 31, 2013, 07:07:14 am »

“We got a Baron, got no brain, do-dah, do-dah …”
That was the most popular song these days in the fortress Bannerheart.  Jimboo thought some sort of punishment for the bard that came up with that might be in order but it *was* a catchy tune; jimboo had caught himself humming it a few times since that fateful day down in the mines.   Maybe a bard with higher skill could come up with something better but the Bannerheart bards weren’t very skilled.  Still, they could play a quickjig or a rousing call to arms and that’s what mattered most.  Jimboo had let it slide.  There were others things on the To Do list.  There was always more on the To Do list.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 31, 2013, 10:01:45 am »

Spring, Year 50
Spring, Year 51

11,000 ammo, 1500 or so rings amulets, weapons shown F are scattered about the surface at the start of last year.  Also a thousand cloaks or so, very annoying to scroll though when trying to outfit a military squad.
We traded away more than a million dorfbucks worth of stuff.  I thought our Baron, Panopticon might be upset about that but it’s pretty easy to distract a child.

The floor:

The fortress is now secure – I think.  Convoluted passageways kept showing up with access to the caverns, some of them leading offscreen.  A couple of nasty surprises came to us that way.  The dwarves blocked off several and then complained so, the large staircase was sealed off above the little passages.  It needed a 2z wall.  It’s not pretty but it works.  You know how sometimes the builders keep suspending that last block necessary to turn the pillar into a wall for no good reason, and after unsuspending a dozen times you just go, aw, fuggit, and build on an adjacent tile?  That’s why it’s not pretty.  Same with the pump at the bath house and horseunicorn trough.

The FPS Project:

01 Granite 50, starting FPS on my laptop was 29 but temperature was Off.  I brought it up to about 50 and then turned temperature back On because all syndromes require ‘boiling rocks,’ etc.  On 01 Granite 51, the FPS is now running 24 but there’s a lot of hauling and such going on.  Turning the temp back off and waiting for iders, it stabilizes at 37 (100 or so idlers, all we ever have because of cleaning, eating, etc.).  With temp On, those same 100 idlers have the game running at 26 so the temp is only a 10 hit.  Even with temperature On, the game will again be 30+ once those many animals are butchered – they’re breeding now faster all the time.  There are plenty of clad warbeasts, not yet assigned.  Pathfinding is clearly the #1 driver in this fortress so those animals should be butchered or at least penned.  All Overseers have necessarily sent out exploratory miners: many of those tunnels have been sealed off but not all.  A locked door will stop pathfinding dwarves but not pets and a wall is much faster to put up than a bridge.  The only thing worse than a siege for FPS is a surface fire.    The caverns have now all been sealed off – I think – so there shouldn’t be any more FPS drops from Antmen or Goblins just hanging about down there, “siege-ing” in place.  A Vile Force + surface fire once took it as low as 9 but the game kept playing and surprisingly, so did Soundsense.  The Wiki pages on maximizing frame rate give some good ideas, the idea of a quantum stockpile with pressure plates is intimidating.  But, that nobody-is-using-it-anyway archery range is already there.  Linking levers may be the slowest thing in this fortress, however.

The save is uploaded, now I can try some cheats for FPS effect:
- clean map: 4,000 or so, maybe 1 FPS.  I got used to the blood and the clean fortress now just doesn’t look right, somehow.
- cleanowned: were only 10 dropped clothing.
- traffic designations: possibly helps, will take some time to confirm.
- going back to a previous save and all that work to get the magma straight?  Made a difference all of 3.
- The biggest increase so far came from expanding the area around the metalworks and putting in some small, dedicated stockpiles.  There’s still more to do but large, “everything here” stockpiles far away mean many long hauling jobs to do anything.  And kept the original Temple of Armok closed.  Similarly, workshops have been moved as possible closer to the main staircase – now expanded – and pathways widened to at least 2 tiles. 

WrapUp:
- Dark Church: I was all ready and then lost track and traded away the bone statues!
- Hall of the Mountain King: there are almost enough iron breastplates and armor stands to make one.
- Temple of Armok: Others were right, even with staged stockpiles, it just didn’t work.  A new Temple was constructed much closer to the surface with stockpiles of blood, etc.
-Blueprints: in the Things I Never Got Around To list, there are prints for Artificer, another Great Magma Forge (missed that one or would have built it) and Magma Gunsmith.   It’s been a year and we don’t have additional plans because they were never offered. 
- Colosseum: way, way down there after Chaosgear’s cave-in project.  I like the Colosseum but sometimes bad things happen there so, this one has been enclosed by a wall and a raising drawbridge.  Fastest way to get legendary military skills.

- The only workshops on Repeat (as far as I know) at save upload are the single oven on the surface making coke for steel from all the wood close by in the quantum Depot, one glass forge making green glass for gem setting practice and another gathering sand.
- Additional carpenters have been working 24/7 for a year making bins.  We still need more but it really helps the hauling – particularly when there are many thousands of bone do-dads scattered about.
- The Library: “your military dwarves will skill up very, very quickly this way,” it says in the manual.  Maybe so, but I haven’t yet quite got it down.  Military skills seem to move up more quickly from live fire training in the Prisoner Rooms and this fortress has lots of prisoners.  More cage traps with quality mechanisms have been placed on the surface.  Library studies are also non-linear: a novice skills up as quickly as a Grand Master reading an essay does, but a Grand Master making swords also brings a lot of value along with occasionally masterful weapons.  It takes many apprentice scribes to keep up with a large library; skilling them also makes for much faster work (fewer reactions = higher FPS) but we already have 200 dwarves so, many Scriptoriums.  Skills increase should be an easy thing to measure but maybe not so much when you’re fending off constant military threats at the same time.  There were never enough trained soldiers.

- Spiders make very good sentries but give months of spam with all the webbing attacks before anyone can get through to administer the coup de grace.  Setting a restricted zone over the webs allows them to be collected for the loom but caravans already bring more thread and cloth than could ever be used.  It’s still fun to watch.
- Some scarecrows and stone decoys on pillars were scattered about.  More are needed.  We lost dwarves on the Magic Wand scavenger hunt to ambushers before knowing they were there. 
- After building soap and the bath house, every dwarf spent the next two weeks cleaning themselves.  Helps with infection and possibly FPS, I suppose.
- There are some large, mined out empty areas.  No notes so, anybody’s guess is as good as mine.  Walling them off or at least low traffic zones should help the FPS; a couple are next to the staircase.
- Everything within easy reach of the Depot is now gone so, several smashing bridges are scattered about.  The one in The Pit is not yet linked up.  Now that we are getting skilled dwarves, there’s not much need to have anything of low quality just sitting in a stockpile and it’s the size of the stockpile that affects FPS much more than the quantity of ‘stuffs’. 

Head’s Up for the next guy:
- two sauropods are losing their training.  Bogus’ crew is really slow doing their jobs and we’ve been stomped before – badly – by a pair of sauropods within the walls.  Now I’m thinking they weren’t wild and sneaky but had lost training and I wasn’t paying attention.  Dwarves were tasked with building an enclosed room right next to the Kennel but I don’t know if it will be done in time.
- There are poisons now in stock including one barrel of voodoo poison from some previous year.
- Several of the ‘empty cages’ have things in them like warlock amulets.
- Many wands have been gathered, soul containers are prepared so dwarves can now be upgraded to Legendary military skills.
- There’s plenty of mithril in stock, what titanium we had was used to make welded.  The Alchemists are really, really slow.  Sorry about getting our legendary armorer killed. 
- Many of the masterful bone totems are quite interesting.  I wanted to place them on the battlements and then do a Stonesense screenshot, didn’t happen.  And there’s that smoldering Balrog skull down in the Panic Room.
- Invited caravans come quickly but don’t bring much.  We should have invited Diplomats for the Wish Lists.
- Training squads are equipped with wooden shields because they’re lighter.  Leather is lighter still, didn’t think of it.
- There are many easter eggs in this fortress.   :)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 31, 2013, 10:10:58 am »

It was Spring. 

Jimboo’s last official act as Overseer had been to draft a parchment Letter of Resignation.  He had given it to his secretary – he still hadn't learned her name – along with his thanks and dismissal after she performed this final task of delivering it to the Council .  Then he had gone to bed and slept soundly for the first time in a long time.  Someone else could look after Bannerheart now. 

Jimboo looked around his quarters.  They were big.  Too big but that hadn’t been his idea.  When he learned of their construction from the Booze Barrel Gossip Society, jimboo had quickly made sure even larger quarters were prepared for the Baron.  (He might be missing his brain but still, it was only polite.)  There was a lot of furniture in these quarters and jimboo hadn’t picked out any of it.  Was it too much to ask to have just one green glazed pot on a display stand?  Evidently it was, the order had been placed several seasons before.  These rooms had a lot of bloodsteel.  Again, not really jimboo’s taste but the husband seldom got to make those decisions for any quarters.  Jimboo smiled, thinking back to a conversation he’d had with one of the many dwarves who were always praying.  “We’re praying for you, jimboo.”  That was nice, he thought.  Then he had learned the real reason for all that praying.  There had been a skilled bard once, traveling through who had sung about another fortress, far away.  A religious cult of some sort, always praying for the King at Mountainhome.  “Great Armok,” they prayed, “Keep the King well … away from us.”  And that was the prayer also for jimboo’s health: as long as he was there, Corridor Scapedusk was busy.  Jimboo smiled again.  Many husbands joked that they were married to a witch but jimboo actually *was* -- a Legendary +4 sorceress, in fact.  And she liked bloodsteel.  “Don’t mess with Meph” might be the unofficial motto of Bannerheart but dwarves spoke openly about jimboo’s wife: “Don’t cross Corridor, whatever you do for she is a witch and quick to anger.”  There had been many silly stories but some of them did seem to match events and – five children and still claiming to be age 13?  Oh yeah, there was some magic in that woman.  Jimboo had let the stories spread; it was helpful getting things done.  “Or if you don’t want to do it because I tell you to, I could ask my wife to stop by and …” was a sentence that never needed to be finished.  Jimboo smiled again, thinking of the many changes in her.  She had been quick to anger this time last year, for certain.  Now, she was ecstatically happy.  It wasn’t hard to make women happy, jimboo had learned.  Mostly, it consisted of doing whatever they told you to do without making a fuss.  She was actually quite pleasant now, often going out of her way to help others.  Jimboo liked to think he’d had a hand in that.  She did like big rooms, though, and bloodsteel.  A staircase in the corner?  Well, it doubled as a bookcase and jimboo liked to read.  By the light of the bloodsteel candelabra next to the bed, of course.  These rooms were just too big.  He didn’t mind the foyer or the dining room – the main meeting rooms were always crowded and jimboo had wished for privacy more than anything else this past year – but the attached tomb was really in poor taste, he thought.  Still, the children slept in there now on floor mats, too young to know or care that one day, jimboo and Corridor would sleep in there.  In bloodsteel sarcophagi, no doubt.   

Corridor entered the room then, surrounded by many giggling children.  She was beaming.
“Hello, dear.  How was your day?”       
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20