Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: [DROW] Discussion and Suggestions (v0.9)  (Read 20724 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [DROW] Discussion and Suggestions (v0.9)
« Reply #225 on: December 26, 2013, 02:18:22 am »

...All those bodies were working perfectly last I checked and I had no issues when testing...

If I had to guess, it's due to those 4armed demon-spawn guys.

EDIT: the initiatemagic thing is due args[1] in line 12 needing to be tonumber(args[1]); fixed.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2014, 04:19:02 pm »

Yeah, I'm finding this very difficult to make. It's extremely difficult to add to a mod such as this where searching is difficult and getting acquainted with the raws is impossible. As it turns out, it's hard for me to keep up with things that I haven't built myself. A lot of the problems you describe are because this mod's general development clashes with mine in a few large ways:

1. Huge amounts of redundant reactions separated only by race.
2. Some identifiers signify little.
3. It has too many buildings for my style (I try to fit as much into as little as possible).

Because of all this, I've found it both impossible to update it along with Masterwork and equally difficult to write it at all, since I have to work within Masterwork's framework.

The main issue is 1. I find it extremely difficult to do things that are redundant. I'm a space-saver at heart and trying to work with something that is redundant in this kind of thing makes my head hurt.

I say all this because I just went to add some stuff and then realized that I've completely lost track of it and I have no idea what I'm doing.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:20:51 pm by Putnam »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2014, 04:33:31 pm »

I understand the problem. I have the same when I look at the Orc race that smake wrote. Thats why I said: Forget the MDF raws. Dont look at the drows as they are atm, do not use dwarven reactions/buildings for anything. Just write your own version of the drow, and it will be added. Its a lot easier to make things compatible with this, than writing it using the actual raws already in the mod. Of course that doesnt account for my bad/nonexisting naming schemes and the fact that you dislike redundancy.

If you dont plan on continuing this, could you please explain the scripts and workshops you have already done, in a way that players and modders alike can understand and use them? I am sure that either someone will pick up drow as a race, or that they can be incorporated into the mod in some other way. I know that you wrote scripts for body and soul magic that levels over time, based on attributes, but there is no actual explanation of how it all works.

And yeah, I spend 4h on the files you uploaded trying to make them work and fix everything thats from outdated versions or wasnt finished, and at some point I just gave up.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2014, 05:03:51 pm »

Yes, definitely. If I can remember what exactly they do.

For the scripts:

1. Demi. It takes two arguments, a unit ID and a number. The unit given by the unit ID will have their current blood reduced to (number)% of what it currently is. For example, demi 35 75 will make unit 35 have 75% of their blood. Enemies cannot be killed by this.
2. Enchantment. This was a moonshot and it doesn't really work at the moment... at all. It was supposed to allow custom enchantments.
3. fingerOfDeath. Takes a unit ID argument. It causes death by old age or blood loss or vanishing (in that order). No save.
4. gainblood. Takes unit ID argument and number argument. Multiplies unit's blood by number; gainblood 1 2 will multiply unit 1's max blood by 2.
5. growplants. It's an extremely specific (and non-functional) version of my skillroll script. You can safely ignore it.
6. sacrificespawn. It spawns a unit but sacrifices the unit doing the reaction.
7. shapechange. It allows a unit to change into any creature, though which creature can be filtered by creature ID or body size.
8. summonmonster. Basically an old version of spawnunit. Not sure why it's still there.
9. take-slave. It's hire-guard but it transforms the target creature into a slave caste of the parent race.
10. teleportUp. It does what it says. Takes a unit Id argument and teleports that unit up.

Now, magic. Here's how it works:

Once a month, it goes through each unit, checks if the unit is a mage, then arranges for them to have their experience counters incremented and, if applicable, for them to level up and gain new spells. The amount of experience gained is equal to 150*personality modifier*attribute modifier. I didn't write the script in such a way that I can simply check which attributes and personality traits go into the modifiers. The level is then calculated with the following equation, where "x" is the experience points:

floor((1/10)*sqrt(2x+9025)-(19/2)).

If there's a level up, the game announces it with the message "(unit) has leveled up (type) magic to level (level). The game then adds appropriate syndromes for interactions. Syndromes are defined in the raws. This system can be extended, but it requires editing the script directly.

The init.lua also contains the sacrificing system. Simply put, it takes all of the units of a given category (citizen, pet, invader) and sacrifices one of them randomly. This is used in a few reactions, which give a product in exchange for that system. The product is just in the reaction; the reagent can be considered the dead unit.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2014, 05:21:03 pm »

I will have a look at the scripts, delete the ones you mentioned that shouldnt be used, and test a few things.

1. Demi => What did you plan on using this on? Remote Vampirism?
2. Will be deleted.
3. Will be deleted, since Urist Da Vinci has written "killitwith", which allows do to do the same and more.
4. Gainblood => Same as demi. Other half of remote vampirism?
5. Will be deleted.
6. Interesting. Can be done with syndromes and spawnunit though.
7. Thats very nice. When you say filtered, do you pick from a list, or do you have to enter a string?
8. Will be deleted, replaced by spawnunit.
9. Nice. Reminds me of Boltguns corrupt prisoner script from the Succubi civ.
10. So... one creature is teleported z-level up... how many? A string input? Could elevators be build that way?

I might do a testfort with the magic script, to see it in action. :)

Init.lua sacrifing system -  When you say "randomly", how random? Just any fort member, pet or invader? Does it have to be on the workshop, in field of view? Or could you run the reaction that triggers the script 50 times in your basement, and 50 random invaders on the surface fall over dead?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2014, 05:29:04 pm »

Demi was for the spell of the same name. Not for vampirism. Didn't really think about gainblood being identical, but it really is. It was for general offense. Demi wouldn't work if it was any number more than 1 or less than 0.

Teleported up as far as possible.

Fully random. Gods aren't limited by puny mortal fields of view. I think I made sure that the invader was no longer active, but I don't quite remember.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2014, 05:33:34 pm »

Teleported up as far as possible.
That sounds like an instakill spell for all non-flying creatures. Everything just ends up at the highest z level in the sky, then falls to its death, correct?

Thanks for the answers. :)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2014, 05:34:18 pm »

That's the point. I find it amusing.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2014, 05:39:08 pm »

But if I change the first few lines to:

Code: [Select]
local function getTopTile(x,y)
local z=1
return z=z+5
end
it would just teleport the unit 5 levels up? What if there is solid rock in between? Because I might want to build a elevator with this. Make 50 reactions, each has a autosyndrome command with a number, from 1 to 50, and people can say: "teleport worker 34 levels below".

Its not quite the teleporter (building A to building B) that I always wanted, but it would do. ^^

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #234 on: January 12, 2014, 05:56:15 pm »

does it teleport them or does there have to be open space? Cause that could result in bad things unless it could shoot through gratings.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 12, 2014, 06:00:47 pm »

Teleportation.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #236 on: January 12, 2014, 06:45:07 pm »

oh that's pretty cool.

Also, out of curiosity, could this be combined with say, something that allowed an object to count as supported even when it's free floating? Even with cave_in's turned on?

Cause I'm seeing sky castles.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 12, 2014, 06:58:10 pm »

It's creatures only.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #238 on: January 12, 2014, 07:10:41 pm »

what I meant was that you could build castles out of materials that always counted as 'supported' then have them totally disconnected from the ground. Then you teleport up and down from them.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 12, 2014, 08:49:08 pm »

I'll probably gather and reappropriate some stuff that I made for this and use it elsewhere...
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17