Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: [DROW] Discussion and Suggestions (v0.9)  (Read 20728 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: [DROW] Discussion and Suggestions (v0.9)
« Reply #210 on: December 10, 2013, 05:06:09 am »

I was making a summonable creature that's ridiculously powerful but you'd have to keep it satisfied with regular sacrifices or it would start killing your citizens.  A bit dark for dwarves but it could work for drow... like some kind of spider queen or something.

Only problem is it requires corpses, so I'm not sure how that would work with Masterwork's fake corpse system.  Unless she ate them alive.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #211 on: December 10, 2013, 05:28:19 am »

Draegloths dont do that... but about the fake corpse system: Its horrible and I want to fix that. I want to use ebo-items and make sentients butcherable again for this. I cant use corpses relyably because of a bug, so thats the best I can come up with, but its surely better than having itemcorpse-tools flying around everywhere.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 10, 2013, 05:31:22 am »

Not Draegloths, but it would make perfect sense for my Lolth summon, eh?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #213 on: December 10, 2013, 05:44:18 am »

Yep... I would also make some sort of silk/spider farm, which can use raw materials, maybe cocoons, to either produce silk or spawn new, different sorts of spiders. After all they should be the drows favourite war beasts. And a new workshops that makes poisons. The other favourite drow weapon.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 10, 2013, 05:45:56 am »

If you want, you can make a reaction that 'processes' corpses for reaction use.  Add a syndrome that resurrects a specific creature and instantly transforms it into a creature with an evaporating head and that leaves the corpse tool behind as an itemcorpse.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #215 on: December 10, 2013, 05:51:08 am »

A: That would scare the operator of said reaction.
B: It would affect foreign corpses AND dwarf corpses that I'd like to bury.

Corpses have their bones as main material, I can use corpses in reactions, to make items... I can even separate it by race, if I give dwarves other bones than goblins, and add REACTION_CLASS:GOBLIN to the goblin bones... but something is horribly wrong. I tested this on dogs and cows and goblins. It works, but the reaction only accepts the first corpse. I kill 10 dogs, take 1 dog corpse and use it in the reaction, and the other 9 go to the refuse stockpile and cant be used in the reaction. I dont know why. Its very strange.

On the other hand, I always wanted to make a morgue that has to prepare your dwarf corpses before you can bury them... so either just bury a corpse and maybe fight zombies later, or prepare the corpse and bury a zombie-proof body. Any ideas for that?

Sorry Putnam, this is getting a bit off-topic.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 10, 2013, 06:48:33 am »

Well, you could avoid the second problem by specifying the affected creature.  For instance, 'prepare dwarf corpse' adds a syndrome to the worker that lets them resurrect and transform a nearby dwarf corpse into the dwarf corpse creature which instantly dies and drops a dwarf corpse tool.  If I recall correctly, dwarves will bury itemcorpses dropped by their own civ members so this should work for that, just build the morgue close to the corpse stockpile (I have no idea how you'd justify long-range corpse processing but it should work regardless).  As for scaring the worker when used on foreign corpses...not sure what you could do about that, but it should still work, even if it would be annoying.  Maybe DFHack could help... like making the revived creature non-hostile for the instant it's alive.

Back on topic... what should the risk vs reward for the Lolth summon be?  Depending on how powerful it is, how much it needs to eat, and what it's capable of doing when it gets angry (I was making an Avatar of Armok that could turn all of your dwarves against each other if you didn't pay up) you could either have a useful soldier with a minor gimmick or have your entire game revolve around them if you chose to summon them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #217 on: December 10, 2013, 07:55:03 am »

I'd love to see a special noble that has to be a draegloth or avatar of lolth, and acts like a military leader. :) Squad size for drow could be 2 or 3 units, I cant see them having big squads, but rather small groups of assassins or saboteurs.

EDIT: Putnam, do you want me to upload the workshops? The building files for the ones on the preview screen I can upload today if you like.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 08:37:24 am by Meph »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 10, 2013, 01:32:32 pm »

Yeah.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #219 on: December 10, 2013, 01:51:57 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There you go. All building files, everything is done except the buildmats. Its simply blocks for each, because I didnt knew what you are going to do with this... if they just build with rocks, or silk or something special... Anyway, have fun with those. If you need any other, feel free to ask.

Buildlabors are all Architect, and the hotkeys are from ALT_A to ALT_R.

EDIT: So in the end the slavery works, magic works, and sacrificies work. That gives them some character. The basic workshops will give the usual utilities that MDF gives its players...

Future ideas:
 - A spider-farm workshop.
 - A way to make a single Draegloth, which can lead your army.
 - Pets with specific food: Cavern moss. (like Pandas had Bamboo)*
 - A poison-related workshop.
 - Didnt you mention to only give them light armor/chainmail (or something similar?) I cant find anything in the raws for that.

*this means people will actually live and secure the caverns more than usual.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 02:01:37 pm by Meph »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 12, 2013, 02:42:24 am »

I have no idea what to do with those buildings...

I mean, I can't find the reactions that would normally go with those, nor the buildings...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #221 on: December 12, 2013, 07:28:28 am »

I did not write any new reactions yet. I wrote only the buildings. I can do the reactions in a week from now, I am going back to Germany in a few days. Most reactions can be used from the dwarves, but a few get unique ones I'd say.

The question is just: Are you ok with it, if I write the reactions, or do you want to do everything on the Drow yourself?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 12, 2013, 03:05:49 pm »

I want to make sure that people aren't too alienated by the Drow when they play it.

I'm fine with not doing some parts.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #223 on: December 12, 2013, 03:23:16 pm »

Most of the buildings should do the same as the dwarven versions... drow versions of embassy, trade storage, pottery, bonecarver shop, ore processor, glassfurnace, stables, slaughterhouse... they might have a slightly different name and design, but the reactions will be almost the same. I just dont like the idea of copying that stuff directly. So dont worry about it, i will do these workshops and reactions. :) I will also do a little testrun, fix bugs if I notice any, write the basis for the manual and add the option to the GUI to play as drow. Should be done till 01.jan, when I start with my own new race... and you can of course still add more complex things to the drow, as you see fit. :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #224 on: December 25, 2013, 08:43:40 pm »

I just tried moving the drow download you posted into 4f, to allow the GUI to toggle drow playable in the next update.

But now, 4h later, I give up.

• Workshops in entity and building file have different IDs (which tells me you didnt test this at all).
  • Only 5 new buildings, 1 of which is empty (no reactions).
  • You use tons of very outdated dwarven reactions and buildings, from 6-9months ago.
  • No sprites. (I started working on a spritesheet)
  • Civ has no clothing.
  • Civ has some nobles twice, like the diplomat and broker.
  • Long errorlog, the creature file is messed up, it shows three bodies on top of each other for draegloth and lolth.
  • Installfolder has the wrong name. hack/drowfort should be hack/drow according to the raws.

When I want to test the Mages Guild Workshops, dfhack r4 shows this error: (the drow ingame to take on the display names of body/elemental mage though)

Code: [Select]
...F V4g\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/drow/initiateMagic.lua:12: Cannot write field unit.find(): number expected.
stack traceback:
        [C]: in function 'find'
        ...F V4g\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/drow/initiateMagic.lua:12: in mainchunk
        (...tail calls...)
[DFHack]#

Spoiler: DF Errorlog (click to show/hide)

Whats going on? I know that you can do a lot better. And that you are very creative with scripting and dfhack. From my point of view it looks like you wanted to get these scripts to work, finished them, and then completely abandoned this, because normal RAWs are boring, and never played a fort with the drow. Please tell me that I am wrong, and simply downloaded the wrong, outdated .zip...  :-X

« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 08:59:39 pm by Meph »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17