Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: [DROW] Discussion and Suggestions (v0.9)  (Read 20725 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
[DROW] Discussion and Suggestions (v0.9)
« on: April 30, 2013, 02:46:41 pm »

Dead. Can't work in someone else's environment, yo. Can't keep up on the latest.

Spoiler: Original OP (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:41:13 pm by Putnam »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: [DROW] Discussion and Suggestions (v0.00)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 03:52:55 pm »

Looking forward to it very much! your mods are brilliant, but most of them I don't have any concept at all of the subject matter :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 03:55:56 pm »

The best part is, if Putnams wants to do something that cant be done by modding, he just writes a dfhack plugin to do it for him.  :o

But yes, it is good to have such an experienced modder working on it. Now, how can we blackmail deon into doing another one?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 07:16:20 pm »

Ptw

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 07:33:19 pm »

Random ideas

Materials: Ironbone, Bloodsteel, Ebonyglass/Ebonglass, (I think its in the orc fort raws already) Slade

Weapons: Dagger, swords, scimitars, whips, glaives

Armor: Weak armor. Using only chainmail would be a change from other races for example.

Poisons. Lots of them.
Drider, Drow+Spider, transformation
Spiderfarm, either for silk, for poison, for warbeasts or all of this.
Curses and Voodoo. Make a super-expensive reaction for a "goblin voodoo", run "slayrace goblin".
Albino-Drow caste that is rare, but has access to special interactions.

Head of state should be female only, monarch called Matriach.

A bonus linked to cave adaption. Or more precisely: A heavy nerf based on non-cave-adaption. Drow that go out into the sun get heavy penalties and slowly go back to their normal, drow self after a month or two underground. Something like only 10% speed or so, something really major. This should lead to the new tactic of luring enemy invasions completely underground before engaging them in combat. Same counts for traders, people would build trader-tunnels into their fort, instead of having a half-aboveground area of their fort. It would also make access to wood harder, so that people rather fell fungis in the caverns then go to the surface. All in all, I really like that idea, because it is relatively simple to do in the raws, but has a major effect on gameplay and fortress design.

By the way, I dont know much about DnD Drow either. They were suggested to me when I asked around about a possibly evil trade race.

Last thing: The drow graphics I use are not how DnD (or anyone else) despicts drow. So if you want to give them a more pale-elf-in-purple-clothing style, feel free. The current ones look like red-eyed, darkskinned dwarves. ^^
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 07:36:11 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 07:47:32 pm »

Does cave adaptation decrease as more time is spent outside?

Besides that, isn't there an issue with drow spawning as un-cave-adapted?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 07:56:59 pm »

Cave-adaption increases while being underground, so all drow would have this massive nerf, and get boosts to counteract it while underground. You could even just say CAVE_ADAPT:1, so outside=bad, but the instant they go underground=good. Cave Adaption is instantly set to 0 as soon as the creature steps on a outside/light tile. I am honestly not sure which one...

Yes, traders, migrants and the guys at embark would have to get underground first. It was an idea, it is your mod, not mine. ;) I just thought that would be really neat, because making a civ actually play different from another race is really hard. Usually you only get dwarves with differently named items, doing the same things dwarves do.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:01:05 pm »

Isn't cave adaptation the misc trait that determines whether or not they vomit when they go outside? I'm pretty sure that doesn't go down when they go outside.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 08:17:01 pm »

You are talking about the [CAVE_ADAPT] creature tag. I am talking about the cave_adapt counter for syndromes and interactions.

CAVE_ADAPT How cave-adapted the creature is. Increases by 1 for every time unit spent underground, to a maximum of 800000.
Found here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Syndrome

You can make your custom cave adaption, using interactions.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 08:17:43 pm »

Yes. It doesn't say it goes down ever, just that it goes up when underground. That's my issue. I would like that thing, but I'm not sure if it's possible.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 08:24:16 pm »

It is reset to 0 when the creature leaves a underground tile. I am certain about it. You can easily test it, just use the cave_adapt with 1, make it increase speed by 5000%. The creature should zip round in tunnels and caves, but outside should walk normally.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 08:25:42 pm »

Aaannnd i think i'll be nicking that little tidbit of info for the Revenant plugin.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 08:28:29 pm »

I never used it myself, although since I saw your itemsyndrome plugin I always wanted to make a shade/shadow armor that only gives boosts to people underground. And smake wants to use it to keep his elves above ground, while still giving them the option to dig, if the player can cope with the negative sideeffects of cave adaption.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 08:29:26 pm »

It is reset to 0 when the creature leaves a underground tile. I am certain about it. You can easily test it, just use the cave_adapt with 1, make it increase speed by 5000%. The creature should zip round in tunnels and caves, but outside should walk normally.

Wonderful!

Vorsh99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 08:49:59 pm »

Suggestion]

Drow can capture slaves, incapacitated enemies can be dragged into cages and converted into a slave form of themselves. And will live with the civ and can be executed or fed to another part of this suggestion

Tamed Mega Beasts]

Cuz, you know bro, Drow do dis.

Dark Magic]

Envy Of Elves]

Elf invasions]

Human Invasions]

Orc Allies]

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17