Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: [ELF] Discussion and Suggestions (v0.00)  (Read 10019 times)

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile
Re: [ELF] Discussion and Suggestions (v0.00)
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2013, 03:51:44 pm »

Don't know if this has already been suggested,
but elves COULD actually build wood walls by planting seeds and waiting for the hedge to come up.

Slower, but harmless.

This is actually an idea that could be evolved to "build" (litterally plant) forts, if only you could create a more z-level or "z-level growing" structure with the graphics of a wood pillar.

It's also what we are doing here in Italy: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/ARTE_SELLA_-_la_cattedrale_vegetale_(di_Giuliano_Mauri)_2002_.JPG
Takes only 20 years of good waiting.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2013, 03:54:42 pm »

I don't think any of that is actually possible.  Creatures can path through farm plots no problem.

la_cattedrale_vegetale is very cool though ;)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2013, 04:02:37 pm »

No, but elves could get their own tileset, or custom buildings that look like trees, and are impassable.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2013, 04:06:07 pm »

Yeah, but, meh.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2013, 04:11:22 pm »

:D

Then make steeloak treants that cant attack, are unkillable like sponges, and pasture them in a wall-like way. :P And only the special axe-wielding invaders get an interaction to kill them  :P
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2013, 04:17:43 pm »

Now, there we are getting somewhere  :D

Dwarf_Eater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2013, 12:02:13 am »

I would like to see instead furnances, tree buildings for elves. Trading for seeds instead of blueprints for more advanced buildings. Some of them could use dfhack checking if water is underneath, so players would embark near rivers and do irrigation for their workshops to work. Magma safe tree furnance wouldn't hurt either :)
There could be also some kind of elven tree HQ, which would be somewhat costy, but it could produce seeds (blueprints) for workshops. Reactions could also then require some organic matter or fertillizer for tree workshops to bear fruits.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2013, 12:18:59 am »

>> Magma safe tree furnance

:o
wait what?

>> Some of them could use dfhack checking if water is underneath

That's kind of interesting.  Can someone point me to the instructions for that?
Or like, anything else it can do in that sort of area.  Outdoors check?  Light check?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:35:30 am by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2013, 01:28:38 am »

Magma underneath it, yes. Water underneath, yes. Outside only, yes. There are no actual scripts for this, but the code exists in other parts, like the steam engine. It would be possible, easily so, for someone to write fitting ones that hook into the workshop. I think it was armist (or ag) I talked with about the outdoor only thing, for the expedition starting point.

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2013, 04:46:00 am »

Edit: divided idea between ELF/DROW topics

Elves should be limited in their metal industry. Ironwood and variants is the way to go.

Is it possible to deny Elves to dig, and make them use tamed giant moles to dig ?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 05:08:52 am by Nokao »

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2013, 02:28:46 pm »

edit* maybe a reaction that uses dfhack to "purify" the local map,so a player could embark on a haunted map and turn it mirthful over time?

Thanks for the idea!  Is "purify" a DFHack that exists or just brainstorming?  (i have no capability of writing such a thing or even of evaluating whether it is possible)
just an idea.
was hoping putnam would say it was easy, 'cause it would be great for the revanant civ as well.
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2013, 05:57:39 pm »

I'll take a look.

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2013, 01:04:16 am »

Considering the whole elf/drow split, it would be really nifty if cave adapted elves became drow, and crazed to boot.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2013, 01:16:49 am »

I am afraid that CRAZED would cause an auto loyalty spiral, but we can play around with it :)

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2013, 10:22:53 pm »

I'm sure there's gotta be SOME way to make your dudes turn into freakish evil mutants full of spiders. I distinctly recall a surprise necromancer attack from one of my dorfs before.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5