Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Magicmaker Alpha 0.9 Update(2013.11.25)  (Read 25487 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magicmaker
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2013, 11:15:35 pm »

Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2013, 11:21:52 pm »

Darn it, I got the invalid object instead of wand upgrade too. Oh well, not like I've been using my wand ever since I made a silk+dig+powder+crystal ball spell (All A) which I use with double-runed robes. I just keep the right mouse button pressed down and everything dies forever.

This and some other spells probably need some balancing.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2013, 11:22:25 pm »

Actually its size increase becomes really valuable if you combine it with a chaos butterfly.

I suggest staying away from the Chaos Butterfly + Optic combination. It just doesn't work very well unless there is another combo I am unaware of (which there very well could be)

It is certainly the coolest one though.

I have yet to find an insane combo that is also great. All my combos are very mundane but effective (such as my homing fragmentation grenades)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2013, 11:22:44 pm »

Theres tt tags if you need a fixed-width font in that there spoiler, Aoi.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2013, 11:23:07 pm »

Darn it, I got the invalid object instead of wand upgrade too. Oh well, not like I've been using my wand ever since I made a silk+dig+powder+crystal ball spell (All A) which I use with double-ruined robes. I just keep the right mouse button pressed down and everything dies forever. This and some other spells probably need some balancing.
It's seriously one of the best spells.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2013, 11:24:19 pm »

Theres tt tags if you need a fixed-width font in that there spoiler, Aoi.

Huh. Handy. Courier's fixed-width anyhow though, isn't it?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 02, 2013, 11:24:40 pm »

I just got A-rank items from the tutorial level at the start of a new game. Specifically, I got an A-rank Quicksilver Gear and a Spider-Silk, along with a bunch of B and C ranks.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 02, 2013, 11:25:27 pm »

Actually its size increase becomes really valuable if you combine it with a chaos butterfly.

I suggest staying away from the Chaos Butterfly + Optic combination. It just doesn't work very well unless there is another combo I am unaware of (which there very well could be)

It is certainly the coolest one though.

I have yet to find an insane combo that is also great. All my combos are very mundane but effective (such as my homing fragmentation grenades)

...am I the only one who has made the Chaos Butterfly + Optic + Slime Heart?
It's FEF, not FEOF

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 02, 2013, 11:25:37 pm »

I just got A-rank items from the tutorial level at the start of a new game. Specifically, I got an A-rank Quicksilver Gear and a Spider-Silk, along with a bunch of B and C ranks.

Doctorate-level Tutorial?

Sounds like a bug.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 02, 2013, 11:26:02 pm »

Darn it, I got the invalid object instead of wand upgrade too. Oh well, not like I've been using my wand ever since I made a silk+dig+powder+crystal ball spell (All A) which I use with double-ruined robes. I just keep the right mouse button pressed down and everything dies forever. This and some other spells probably need some balancing.
It's seriously one of the best spells.

Problem is it's so good I don't even need to use any other spell anymore. I can do doctorate level in any place with minimal trouble (just need to dodge occasional books in the castle and such).
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 03, 2013, 12:43:37 am »

I prefer to add a laser to my silk+crystal ball spell, since unlike regular weapons which just create a silk projectile in the space they just passed through, lasers seem to create a projectile at nearly every single point in their trajectory at once (and many many times each spellcast), the results are: A) Even greater damage, B) spawns many more projectiles, C) instant travel time of the initial beam (which makes things die faster as the targets spawn close to them near instantly), D) The fact that many of the projectiles spawn far away doesn't really matter, since enough spawn closely enough to kill even a boss in a single hit.
Now, it does have two problems, A) The homing on them lasers is better then regular attacks, which means they are more likely to hit the target (and not miss, which causes even more obscene damage, not really the biggest problem, since even a direct hit will kill pretty much anything instantly), B) using a laser takes up a spell effect spot.

I would *really* like to see some of the combinations that would be possible with 5+ spell slots though, (EG. laser+homing+silk+split shot+other split shot+travel through walls+travel through enemies+chaos).

Honestly, silk+crystal ball is the best spell by such a wide margin it breaks the game and takes away the whole "explore different spells" concept, since there literally isn't any possible spell combination that is anywhere near as good.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 03, 2013, 12:47:23 am »

The problem with 5+ spell slots, as fun as that would be, is that spells already get ridiculously broken with just 4 and underpowered at 3.

My current #1 spell is just Gravity + Homing + Explosion + Multiattack

Which gives me 4 - 125 damage homing balls. For 500 damage without any A-rank ingredients.

Which isn't that impressive but that is a quarter of the life of even A-rank bosses and will hit all their parts at once just about. As well on ordinary stages it tends to clear out enemies pretty well.

Another slot would allow me to completely break the game without trying to. (mind you, getting all A-rank materials would allow me to boost it to 1000 damage)

Honestly, silk+crystal ball is the best spell by such a wide margin it breaks the game and takes away the whole "explore different spells" concept, since there literally isn't any possible spell combination that is anywhere near as good.

It would be except that there are many spells that completely break the game. Probably not as good as your spell, but overpowered non-the-less.

I doubt I'll have to edit that spell I created.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:55:01 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 03, 2013, 01:08:11 am »

Yeah... you can clear everything currently in the game out pretty easy with quite suboptimal kit, and there's a whole swath of stuff weaker than silk/homing cheese that can still lay waste to everything (6k+ damage AoE DoTs, that whole invincibility pinball, etc., so forth, so on).

It's going to be interesting to see how things go going forward with the game's development, given how easily the game gets broke open already :P

Imagine being able to put out 3 or so volleys of those crystalsilk bombs out in the span of less than a second. You can already put out a 4 material one and a weaker crystalsilk+dig more or less simultaneously, heh.

---

'Course, part of the fun is experimenting with the spells, not just clearing everything out. I did manage to wreck my way through initially with a dot bomb (AoE/poison/poison/alchemist), but have already spent more time than it took to do that just screwing around with spells. The question stops being "Do I have to change this spell to win" and starts becoming "Can I change this spell and still win"... and then seeing just how much fits in that latter category, heh. That the game's still pretty enjoyable while experimenting is a good sign, methinks.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 03, 2013, 01:24:58 am »

Chaos Butterfly + Philosopher's Stone + Seashell + Slime Heart = Shrapnel Omega, my current wand spell. Tests on the dummy have revealed single hits of nearly 200 damage. If I could somehow combine a Diamond with this...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 03, 2013, 01:31:30 am »

The entire point of 5+ spell slots would be to break things horribly, I don't think they would really improve the game too much (since they would make it entirely ridiculous), but they would be be exceedingly fun, especially as a unlock option once you beat the game.

For instance a ten slot 5xlaser+rock+3xlaser length extender would just be awesome, just shooting a giant anime beam a quarter the width of the screen across, or a bounce+3x multishot+3x splitshot+gravity+silk, just filling the entire screen with bouncing (but weak) attacks.
The possibilities get much more increasingly awesome as you go above 4 slots (just as 4 slots is much awesomer then 3).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16