Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Magicmaker Alpha 0.9 Update(2013.11.25)  (Read 25445 times)

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magicmaker 0.7.4
« Reply #210 on: June 06, 2013, 03:30:19 am »

I am losing saves too.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 06, 2013, 06:14:14 am »

To clarify, my inventory and spell setup stays the same, it's just the quests that are reset.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 08, 2013, 07:52:41 am »

So, I have this thread to thank for showing me a game with a concept that I had been looking for since ages ago. Saves me having to develop one myself.

There are some balancing issues, though. For example (and others have found overly potent spell combos too), right now, you can make short work of a boss of any level, even up to Doctorate (I presume; I'm on Master's and they're laughably easy) with a specific combination that I found:

Spell 1: Phil. Stone - Fire Crystal - Execution - Any
Spell 2, Enchantment: Caustic (I forget the name; that thing that boosts attacks) - Phil. Stone - Phil. Stone
Wand: Seashell - Rock - Ectoplasm - Optics

Even with C or D level stuff, you can get the Caustic bonus in Spell 2 to be in the range of 600-800%. Casting that immediately before casting the damaging Spell 1 can get you a preposterous amount of damage; 1500-2500 damage, which can kill a weaker boss in one stroke and stronger ones in a couple more, in exchange for most of your mana bar. Note that this is still with just the D level materials I have access to - I can't even begin to imagine what the A level combo would generate.

But with the sapping wand, that's no obstacle. The branching Seashell essentially makes it as many times faster to sap mana as there are branches, so you can refill your mana bar again in a few seconds and deal a surprising amount of damage. The Rock lets you disregard obstacles and makes the Wand a great weapon for smaller critters, especially when it's a Seashell A.

The result? You get to deal damage not in the hundreds per second, but in the thousands. That's so high it's not even funny. If the enemies had more health it'd be fine, but they don't - and as it stands ~1000dps makes short work of, well, everything. Either the developers need to boost creature difficulty or nerf materials further.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 07:54:33 am by lordnincompoop »

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 08, 2013, 08:50:09 am »

That's the problem with a system like this, I suppose- it's hard to fully balance. But then, I don't believe that's the only overpowered combo around. Experiment! :P

EDIT: Also one of the many reasons this will never have multiplayer.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:52:07 am by Twi »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 08, 2013, 10:15:43 am »

No, there are many more. The thread is full of them.

Adversaries often aren't very difficult to begin with, either.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 08, 2013, 03:34:45 pm »

There are 36 spell component types(counting empty). The upgraded wand can hold 4 components. That's over 1.6 million combinations. but that includes duplicates with the components just in a different order. So actually that's.. um.. I'm not at all familiar with this problem... {3 hours later} Ok, so after much scribbling, Lego building, and programming I have reached a result of 82251 unique spell types. I now realize that the reason I disregarded the result of nCr as incorrect is the reason why it is more correct than my answer. So the correct answer is really 58905 unique spells.

So, 58905 unique spells. I don't recall why I was finding this out. dammit.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 08, 2013, 06:05:20 pm »

Did you allow for repetition in that calculation? It's entirely possible and pretty useful to have, say 4 rift crystals in a wand.

Disregarding order but allowing repetition gives the formula ((n+r-1)!)/(r!(n-1)!) for n = total and r = choices, as high-school probability classes will have taught us. That gives 82250 possible combinations, removing the one combination where all slots are empty.

The nCr option on a graphical calculator, for example, only does the combination sans repetition stuff. Not applicable here.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 08, 2013, 07:27:18 pm »

Did you allow for repetition in that calculation? It's entirely possible and pretty useful to have, say 4 rift crystals in a wand.

Disregarding order but allowing repetition gives the formula ((n+r-1)!)/(r!(n-1)!) for n = total and r = choices, as high-school probability classes will have taught us. That gives 82250 possible combinations, removing the one combination where all slots are empty.

The nCr option on a graphical calculator, for example, only does the combination sans repetition stuff. Not applicable here.

Yes, my calculation allowed for repetition, that's why I disregarded nCr originally. That's also why my answer was the same as yours, well one higher because I allowed for an empty wand.

cibo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magicmaker Alpha 0.8 Update(2013.07.26)
« Reply #218 on: July 29, 2013, 07:05:29 pm »

New customization items & The robe can now be upgraded to four slots ~
Time to test new magic? :D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:16:56 pm by cibo »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 29, 2013, 07:13:51 pm »

And for even more eyeball melting, framerate killing fun, don't forget that you can (or could) modify your save in your text editor of choice to give like, 20 upgrades on your wand at once...
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 29, 2013, 07:16:25 pm »

Reading the changelogs.
Chaos Butterfly got a nerf.  :'(
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 31, 2013, 10:37:55 pm »

Anybody know how to do the quest in the Cavern where you put the gems on pedestals? I'm stuck there, the temple is always in an enclosed space.

cibo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magicmaker Alpha 0.9 Update(2013.11.25)
« Reply #222 on: November 25, 2013, 01:38:16 am »

Game updated few days ago.

There are new materials this time.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 25, 2013, 02:01:35 am »

Did they ever nerf flaming ball of fast instakilling everything?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 18, 2014, 09:52:46 pm »

Jeez, near year necro. Well, that's okay. Don't... really feel like making and moderating a new thread, but there's news to be had!

Namely the game hits steam on the 22nd.

I'd also like to point out the OST is available for purchase, if you don't feel like nabbing the .oggs out of the alpha version. I really can't recommend it enough, actually -- their composer is kinda' incredible.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16