Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 166

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ (44.12) - DF2019 Updated 24th Nov 2021  (Read 931871 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ (42.06) - DF2016 - Newest version!
« Reply #645 on: May 06, 2016, 09:17:06 am »

I'll think about it. Althought the blood/bone related metals would be much more suited to Succubi, Necromancers, maybe Orc Shamans... but not dwarves (?). Its one of the reasons I restart the mod, to avoid feature-creep.

I think it would be more interesting and/or balancy if the bone "metals" had some unique properties to reflect it being organic.  Like tough to cut, highly deformable, not as sharp & maybe lighter in weight but not quite as strong as regular metals.  Kind of the opposite of how the weapon grade glasses were less ductile than metals.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #646 on: May 06, 2016, 09:26:46 am »

How do i change the tileset?
I set it to ascii but it didn't change.
The game uses two tilesets, one for graphics one for text. You probably changed the graphic one, but were still in the menu.

In the GUI you have "tileset" for the graphical one, and "TWBT" for the text one. Change both, try again. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

lunaman22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 06, 2016, 11:16:29 am »

How do i change the tileset?
I set it to ascii but it didn't change.
The game uses two tilesets, one for graphics one for text. You probably changed the graphic one, but were still in the menu.

In the GUI you have "tileset" for the graphical one, and "TWBT" for the text one. Change both, try again. :)
Thanks famzilla.

Mirrond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 06, 2016, 11:46:07 am »

So... when can we (the same bug as Molay) expect a fixed version? You know, the part with Fortress Defense races. I really liked them in the "old" Masterwork, so now I can't start the game as I would have to start it again after the fix :P

I also noticed a bug with the option to modify the number of embark points. By "the bug" I mean that it doesn't work. I prefer to give myself much more points for a better preparation (sorry for being a filthy casual), and no matter what I choose, I get the basic 1274 points.

I also noticed a... bug? I think? I launched the game and embarked on a wonderful place at the side of a major river. The problem is - dwarf aren't doing anything. Literally. I designated them an area to chop down trees, and a plae to mine a stairs... and they aren't doing it. This doesn't even show on a job list. The pen/pasture order shows there, but the dwarfs still don't do anything. No Job everywhere.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 03:05:31 pm by Mirrond »

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 06, 2016, 12:52:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Found some stuff while fooling around with MW. Not sure if they're bugs, intended, or something else. I'm just curious.

A, B, C, D: Are yarn, silk, blood and cheese going to be standardized?

E: I can't seem to get their name and price to not overlap. Not a huge deal since it's just the embark screen. I changed the fonts and it still overlap.

F: There doesn't seem to be any SpaceFox dwarf graphics for SpaceFox tileset. It just uses Pheobus. Other tileset, like Ironhand and MayDay, has their own dwarf graphics.

I can't wait for the madness that is FB sieges! Wooooooooo!

Golbolco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 06, 2016, 04:03:02 pm »

Are brownie miners able to use picks? I've made a few picks for a couple I picked up from a caravan and they don't go mining.

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 06, 2016, 06:50:46 pm »

Do all civilizations send guests to your locations? Could I even get necromancer visitors....? That's really scary stuff! Perhaps there's something in the raws that allows races to visit other race's locations, if so, it should probably be removed for certain races, like kill-everything werebeasts that enrage, or necromancers that raise the dead, things like that.
That might be their LARGE_PREDATOR token... I
'll have to ask around, I'm unsure about visitors, libraries and taverns myself. Remember, I've been away for a while. ;)

Bloodsteel, Ironbone, Bloodwine... got it.

Silver => Mithril too easy. got it too.

I'll think about it. Althought the blood/bone related metals would be much more suited to Succubi, Necromancers, maybe Orc Shamans... but not dwarves (?). Its one of the reasons I restart the mod, to avoid feature-creep.

Don't you worry Meph, I know you went to travel the world and didn't have time to play around with those new goodies like taverns and such :) Just making sure you're aware of certain odd behaviors so you have an easier time fixing them, eventually^^

As to the topic of bloodmetals and feature creep... I do need to say, I liked my cannibalistic dwarves with their thatch huts and all their things made out of blood and bone... But now that you put it this way, I might have to agree with you. I realize that those dwarves I tend to play are not what dwarves ought to be, so it would in fact be _better_ not to include bloodsteel etc for dwarves... Ah damn, a depressing thought but not having crazy feature creep is very important, so you're absolutely right here!

However, I think bloodwine might still be on the table? I don't see why dwarves would refuse any kind of booze; they drink things called sewer brew after all, how bad could bloodwine possibly be compared to that :D
And to make blood barrels not a one-produt only intermediary (for wine), how about the following idea:
Blood contains iron (hemoglobin). What if there was a way to extract that iron and use blood to start an iron industry? That's like, science and stuff, very dwarfy. Perhaps the blood would have to be boiled (smelter? some sort of cauldron specific to this task?) which would then yield iron dust(?needs a bag) which can be melted into pure iron bearing stone (like pure magnetite, hematite etc...).
So: Animal -> Butcher:Meat -> Kitchen:Blood(Barrel) -> Cauldron/Smelter:Irondust(Bag) -> Smelter:Pure Iron Ore -> Smelter/BlastFurnace: Iron Bars

It's a long process, but it's essentially infinite iron without ever having to dig something out the ground, all can be done via husbandry and with some fuel. It would result in you being able to make iron out of the meat industry like before, but more dwarfy and less "savage sounding" than bloodiron :D Just a thought.
Edit: I realize that this is still bordering on feature creep upon proofreading >.< But at least it would stay lore-friendlier than bloodsteel, no?^^
Edit2: Thinking some more, this would essentially make it possible to create steel on any map once again. Perhaps Mithril could then again be given steel as an ingredient? I'm not sure about this, but it might be worth a consideration. My Mithril Swords are pretty badass, they should be harder to make for sure :D
Edit3: Obviously values need to be balanced. It would make sense to either need multiple barrels of blood to create a bag of iron dust (my favorite) or multiple bags of iron dust to make pure iron ore. Perhaps it would also require multiple pieces of meat to make a blood barrel in the first place!
Edit4: The metallurgist needs 2 iron cauldrons. It would be perfect if that's the place you boil the blood I believe. It would be a situation where you could possibly require to embark with 2 iron cauldrons to enable that industry, which sounds fine to me honestly. And if the whole production chain has become too ungodly long, perhaps the metallurgist can turn 5 or so barrels of blood straight into iron bars? That would remove the bonus from pure iron ore, which sounds okay for infinite iron.

I've ran into another "issue" of sorts when designing my military, the uniforms specifically.
I've noticed that upon selecting the (M)aterial for my equipment, notably cloak but applicable to all armor, there is a huge amount of non-generic leather, silk, yarn and stuff like that. There's so much of it that I can't even find the improved leather (can't remember the name now; the one you upgrade with tallow in the tanner's!) in the list, as it's ungodly long and it must be somewhere in the middle, so I have to stick to either normal leather for now, or let the dwarves pick for themselves.

Will those materials be made generic? If not, perhaps you can do some magickery so that all the materials a fort supposedly can produce are somewhere on top of the list, with normal leather, iron and such? If all that fails, perhaps DFhack might allow for a search function when selecting materials for uniforms? (Although I don't think you do extend DFhack that way yourself?)

Anyway, just create a new uniform and select a material for a cloak and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Edit4: Okay that was the final edit, I promise. Back to slaughtering stuff.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 07:08:35 pm by Molay »
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 06, 2016, 07:16:22 pm »

Now that it is 42.06, I think I plan on having a Kobold Camp designed around a big aboveground tavern with walls and such,like the Friendly Arm in from Baldur's Gate. Very excited for this, thanks Meph. Also, how was the bike trip this time?
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 07, 2016, 12:08:41 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Found some stuff while fooling around with MW. Not sure if they're bugs, intended, or something else. I'm just curious.

E: I can't seem to get their name and price to not overlap. Not a huge deal since it's just the embark screen. I changed the fonts and it still overlap.
I feel the same. The little things like that are what I loved about MWDF. The unnesecary things simplified. When your dwarves March home covered in blood and you can only tell whose it isn't by the injuries. :)
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 07, 2016, 01:29:29 am »

Leatherwing Bat's skin (after shearing) does not seem to be tannable, so they don't allow for leather production sadly. Might just be an oversight? Or do you have to tan it elsewhere than the tanner's workshop?
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #655 on: May 07, 2016, 03:31:00 am »

Leatherwing bat leather currently only works without the "more leather mod". I can fix that.

yes

Use TTF, I cant do anything else, its just the long names.

F: There doesn't seem to be any SpaceFox dwarf graphics for SpaceFox tileset. It just uses Pheobus. Other tileset, like Ironhand and MayDay, has their own dwarf graphics.
I can do tileset-specific creature sprites, but atm it wasnt a high priotity. Once I add GemSet, it will be.

how was the bike trip this time?
2 bike trips. :) First was awesome, the second one a bit strange because I flew a lot and rode a folding bike. but my country-counter went up from 117 to 141, so I'm pretty happy with it. :)

What if there was a way to extract that iron and use blood to start an iron industry?
If you want to use a quadrillion-zillion liters of blood to make one iron bar, yes.

My Mithril Swords are pretty badass, they should be harder to make for sure
noted.

I've ran into another "issue" of sorts when designing my military, the uniforms specifically.
I've noticed that upon selecting the (M)aterial for my equipment, notably cloak but applicable to all armor, there is a huge amount of non-generic leather, silk, yarn and stuff like that. There's so much of it that I can't even find the improved leather (can't remember the name now; the one you upgrade with tallow in the tanner's!) in the list, as it's ungodly long and it must be somewhere in the middle, so I have to stick to either normal leather for now, or let the dwarves pick for themselves.
I had that issue in the old mod too, but a user fixed it. I might do that too, but it will make it harder for the launcher to toggle that.

Are brownie miners able to use picks? I've made a few picks for a couple I picked up from a caravan and they don't go mining.
They can only fish. They are part of the Mythical Monsters Mod, I almost took them out because they might cause confusion, considering their description.

So... when can we (the same bug as Molay) expect a fixed version? You know, the part with Fortress Defense races. I really liked them in the "old" Masterwork, so now I can't start the game as I would have to start it again after the fix :P

I also noticed a bug with the option to modify the number of embark points. By "the bug" I mean that it doesn't work. I prefer to give myself much more points for a better preparation (sorry for being a filthy casual), and no matter what I choose, I get the basic 1274 points.
I'll fix the embark points script, its just not added to the dfhack-init. Thats it, simple thing.

Fortress Defense is fixed in my dev-version, but you have to wait till friday like everyone else. ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mirrond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 07, 2016, 05:31:43 am »

I'll fix the embark points script, its just not added to the dfhack-init. Thats it, simple thing.

Fortress Defense is fixed in my dev-version, but you have to wait till friday like everyone else. ;)

First part - yay!

Second part - ... looks like I'll manage to write this assignment after all :V See you next friday.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #657 on: May 07, 2016, 06:51:47 am »

First part - yay!

Second part - ... looks like I'll manage to write this assignment after all :V See you next friday.
You mean because I cant upload a tiny hotfix for you to copy+paste into your objects folder?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zb4xst0yid4k5oo/objects.rar?dl=0

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 07, 2016, 08:30:47 am »

First part - yay!

You mean because I cant upload a tiny hotfix for you to copy+paste into your objects folder?

Thanks so much! :)

Mirrond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 07, 2016, 10:57:24 am »

... Well, damn it. I have written one page of my assignment, so I deserve a reward, right? :V God bless you, kind man.

btw. I think I noticed another minor bug. In settings, when I hover my mouse over the "animal man frequency" and "giant animal frequency" I get a description that talks about vampire curses... should it be like this?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:05:53 am by Mirrond »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 166