Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: [KOBOLD] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 17729 times)

hiphop38

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [KOBOLD] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2014, 09:51:08 pm »

Question about picks,
I started a new world for my new bolds with no shovels and raided dwarfs with the second tier tunnel around 10 to 20 times and no luck with a pick of any sorts. I did a lot more with the first tier tunnel and still nothing. Is this to be expected? I thought a 10% chance meant that 1 in 10 sorties results in a pick. Anyone have any luck with getting picks?

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2014, 09:58:37 pm »

Have you been getting loot and unpacking it? I havent really done the stealing stuff much, but im pretty sure you get loot crates and need to open them. I assume you have been. You could just be really unlucky. Have you tried stealing from the troglodytes instead? I think those are the other race that give you picks.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2014, 10:24:18 pm »

Question about picks,
I started a new world for my new bolds with no shovels and raided dwarfs with the second tier tunnel around 10 to 20 times and no luck with a pick of any sorts. I did a lot more with the first tier tunnel and still nothing. Is this to be expected? I thought a 10% chance meant that 1 in 10 sorties results in a pick. Anyone have any luck with getting picks?

I usually have 1-2 picks by the end of the first year. 10% means that it is probable that 1 in 10 bags you open will have a pick. Its really more like 5% with the super secret thieves tunnel or less with the tier 2 tunnel. The unpack loot bag reaction runs automaticly. Usually, I just make 50 cloaks and 50 bags and raid nonexistant chaos dwarves til I have a pick.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 24, 2014, 08:00:56 pm »

This is ridiculous. Ive got a big wooden fort going on the surface because i forgot to generate the world with show caves on yes, and i have seventeen bolds and im in my second year, but i already have a war marshal with mithril gear and two war badger dogs assigned to him, a war ogre and ogress, an forge and a ton of different rare metals like steel, mithril, cobalt, etc. All of this from trading the constant stream of caravans some lavish meals. And I can keep making lavish meals forever, because of my low population and my huge pile of food. The kobold caravans shouldn't have stuff like mithril bars to trade away, they're kobolds! It makes it way too easy to get a ton of advanced stuff really early.
I realised armor doesn't help 'bolds as much as most races, as I had a squad of 'bolds in full iron get taken down by a moose before. Well, almost the who squad, 1 of the 5 took down the moose, but he kinda stayed in the hospital for a whole year. I believe kobolds rely on luck more than metal.

Size is a pretty big part of combat calculations ATM, giving bolds a rather large disadvantage in melee combat, even decently good equipment can only offset that big factor so much. Kobolds do require a decent amount of luck or better yet, high dodging skill for melee combat. The other big combat statistic ATM is speed, which is reduced by unskilled soldiers wearing heavy armor. And heavy armor combined with poor armor user level and naturally low bold strength means that iron or steel armor reduces bold speed by a lot.  Lammallar leather is far superior to iron in terms of lightness, making it a better armor material then heavy iron for weak unskiled bolds. Since bolds breed so fast and have so much tantrum resistance, lemming squads are also reasonably effective as sheer numbers is another good way of turning the tides of combat.
Yea, I learned that a squad of dodgey bolds in Lammallar armor and some sort of pointy stick usually outclasses any squad of bolds in heavier armor. sometimes I do fool around and give them strange equipment on purpose to see how far they go(bold with stone sword and shield, bold in all leather with dual jade butterfly knives, etc.) most of the wierd equip ones strangely become super lucky and become heroes in the eyes of the camp(for me, 'specially the dual knives guy) but I would stick with whatever works for you.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:03:38 pm by dirkdragonslayer »
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

hiphop38

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 27, 2014, 08:19:13 pm »

Why are my druids starving to death? I am quite confused. They dont eat, sleep or eat or drink. What is going on?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2014, 09:35:02 pm »

Why are my druids starving to death? I am quite confused. They dont eat, sleep or eat or drink. What is going on?
By druids do you mean Meditating kobolds or the fully transformed druids? The former do not require food, sleep or drink while they meditate. They shouldn't starve to death. If its fully transformed druids, then I have no idea why they're not eating.
Spooky Signature

hiphop38

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2014, 09:57:52 pm »

Ya it's the Druids post meditation. It seems like they don't experience hunger or thirst. They are just happily starving to death. Not moving. Not working. Not doing anything. Super confused.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 27, 2014, 11:19:20 pm »

Ya it's the Druids post meditation. It seems like they don't experience hunger or thirst. They are just happily starving to death. Not moving. Not working. Not doing anything. Super confused.

Druids are supposed to be weak after they've transformed into bears and then back for about a week. That might have something to do with it?  I never really used druids for defense that much because of how tedious it is to keep 200+ thirsty bolds from drinking the juice you want to use to make druids. I never had a druid transform and then survive afterwards. Try putting them in a squad and ordering them somewhere? Or use the fullheal dfhack script on them? Or failing that, try running the siren script? Or any script that seems helpful really. I'm about as confused as you are.
Spooky Signature

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2014, 08:10:27 am »

Can you even sustain a fort of 200+ bolds? With their preference of only eating meat, how on earth do you produce enough? You must have 100s of Jack Rats or something.

hiphop38

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 01, 2014, 01:36:54 pm »

Ya pretty much, I only once got a kobold fortress up over 100, but honestly didnt have a problem with food. If anything I had a problem with TOO MANY jackrats

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 01, 2014, 03:55:09 pm »

Can you even sustain a fort of 200+ bolds? With their preference of only eating meat, how on earth do you produce enough? You must have 100s of Jack Rats or something.

I just embark with 25ish female jack rats and one male one. Every two seasons, each female jack rat will have on average 3 or 4 babies(sometimes more). That's maybe 100 baby jackrats. I butcher all of them. Every two seasons. That plus an indoor well = Never worrying about meat, drink, leather, bones again.
Spooky Signature

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 04, 2014, 04:26:12 pm »

Teellox changes had drastically increased the chance of retaliation on the Orcish expeditions... How is it for Kobolds?
Do their tunnels spawn enough fun? Or is it also lackluster? (Hey, the sieges are as important as the loot is!!!)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2014, 06:07:38 pm »

Teellox changes had drastically increased the chance of retaliation on the Orcish expeditions... How is it for Kobolds?
Do their tunnels spawn enough fun? Or is it also lackluster? (Hey, the sieges are as important as the loot is!!!)

Unless the percentages have been adjusted since last V4G, pretty much every dedicated effort on my part,(Around 10 cloaks and bags and then stealing on repeat) has led to a siege bag appearing. I usually just raid chaos dwarves in the start, so no sieges from them as they don't usually exist in my worlds. And unless you only raid goblins and other kobolds, even one siege from the higher races can be pretty nasty for your puny kobolds. Especially if they are drow ninjas. Don't mess with the drow. I'd say the siege chance is well-balanced, maybe a little high. If you use 3-4 of your trademark 2-man squads and have steel weapons and lamallar armor, you'll be fine. The sieges are usually just a 10-man squad, although in my largest fort with super-expensive masterwork upgraded mithral sawblades everywhre I've seen up to 30 enemies.

TL;DR: Sieges hapen a fair bit with the fully upgraded tunnel and are usually pretty small at first, more like an ambush.
Spooky Signature

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 06, 2014, 06:42:06 pm »

Is there any difference between the "Craft candle (tallow)" and the "Craft tallow candle" reactions in the craftsbolds?

Also, does the arena use the new spawning system?

Edit: What does the breeding warren do?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:47:10 pm by palu »
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12