Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: [KOBOLD] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 18090 times)

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [KOBOLD] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2013, 05:25:03 pm »

One thing is making fighting hard, another is making it pointless.
It's not entirely an armor issue. I'm sure you know that even dorfs die quite easily from blows to the head. Sure, they can wear helmets to compensate but it isn't much help.

I do agree though, about the artificial 'you can't wear this' aspect. Even with modern materials, we couldn't improve much upon medieval armoring tech to protect against melee attacks. Their lives depended on their armor and it was developed in an 'evolutionary' fashion. !FUN! is one thing, being faced with attacks you can't hope to defend against is just frustrating.

I have kinda felt the same way about ALL combat in DF, to the point of ragequit and not playing for a couple years at least once. The 'game' should not be in trying to master the GUI and its quirks. The 'game' should be the game; the interface as effortless as breathing - or as nearly as possible.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2013, 07:46:23 am »

Where is the reaction to split bone stacks? I can't find it. :-\
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2013, 07:49:15 am »

craftsbolds
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2013, 08:46:11 am »

What's its name and where is it?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2013, 09:18:09 am »

It's in the 'bone' subsection and it's called 'make bone stack' I think.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2013, 08:21:17 am »

One thing not clear (to me, at least) from the various docs and posts on Kobold Fortress... How do I configure Settings compared to Dwarves?

Do I set it up the same way as I would for Dwarves and it just ignores the non-relevant options? (Aside from choosing the Kobold race as playable, of course.) I am wondering because I can't seem to predict what friendly races I will get based on my trials so far. Ditto for enemies.

It might be a good idea to explain this a bit more in the quick-start guide.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2013, 02:33:24 am »

Its for fun? Its more or less atmosphere, having friendly animalmen hang around your camp. :)

I have a bunch of Nith i trained to make my meeting hall look less empty. That and shalswar, tons of shalswar. On another note, why can't i grow any bitter root? I brought bitter seeds and wood, so I could have a wall off, poison palace of hurt. The camp itself is doing fine now, but is there any way to plant them?
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2013, 09:33:00 pm »

One thing not clear (to me, at least) from the various docs and posts on Kobold Fortress... How do I configure Settings compared to Dwarves?

Do I set it up the same way as I would for Dwarves and it just ignores the non-relevant options? (Aside from choosing the Kobold race as playable, of course.) I am wondering because I can't seem to predict what friendly races I will get based on my trials so far. Ditto for enemies.

It might be a good idea to explain this a bit more in the quick-start guide.
I would turn of kobold theives,(unless you want competing bolds) and sorcerers(they usually come by the second year as snatchers, and screw up your camp royally.) i've had sorcerers come into my camp, get caught, then burn it to the ground and run. I kept it on for challenge, but i can imagine that having your wooden camp that took years to build being burnt to the ground from a frightened snatchers.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2013, 07:24:34 am »

Warlocks will be rebalanced, MAYBE the next version.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2013, 05:23:25 pm »

Forget this post ever existed. Everything I was talking about was in V3.a, while the newest one is V3.h. Surprisingly huge difference, like the newest version is a completely new mod. Great work to the modders, and sorry for the stupid questions.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 07:20:57 pm by dirkdragonslayer »
TAIL SHOOOOES!

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2013, 04:19:36 pm »

Do Bolds get Ironbone/blood steel reactions?  If so, where am I not looking to find them? :) thanks!
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2013, 07:49:29 am »

No. :(

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2013, 06:23:59 am »

Secret Thieves Tunnel:

In the manual it says:
"You can run these reactions every time, regardless of the civ actually being present in worldgen or not."

Thats easy to understand, but i am wondering if i could get ambushed or invaded by a non-present civ if i steal to often from them...  ::)

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2013, 08:17:13 am »

Nope. In fact, in the quickstart guide it suggests to steal from them as they cannot retaliate.
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2013, 08:51:48 am »

Ah, thank you!

Next question:
I'm trying really hard to outfit my bolds with previously from elves stolen mithril bows.
despite dwarf therapist is telling me they would be able to wield them with 2 hands they refuse to :/

When i assign "bows (foreign)" nothing happens, assigning specific weapons shows me the green field in the right but the bolds won't get the bows either.

Is there anything i could have missed or been doing wrong?

Edit:
I managed to steal the elven fletcher blueprints
trying now the short bows...
but there is more confusion:
df therapist clearly says composite bows are unwieldable for kobolds... so why is there a reaction?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:45:01 am by razorback »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12