Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: [KOBOLD] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 17732 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: [KOBOLD] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2014, 04:29:12 pm »

Or you can embark with dirt. Its free. Best buildmat there is. :P

Last time I checked embarking with dirt was bugged. Right after dirt was introduced, I embarked with a bunch of it. It wouldn't let me build anything with it. Dunno if thats been fixed since.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2014, 04:32:02 pm »

Apani did the clay update and (accidently?) added a low melting point to it, so you get mud puddles instead of dirt on most embarks. I fixed it in my dev version, I noticed that just a few days ago.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2014, 04:36:14 pm »

Apani did the clay update and (accidently?) added a low melting point to it, so you get mud puddles instead of dirt on most embarks. I fixed it in my dev version, I noticed that just a few days ago.

Mud puddles? It sort of evaporated for me. I only embark in hot biomes with bolds(Turns out temperate is more like Canadian weather then anything else),so that might have something to do with it. I'm not actually sure that bug SHOULD be fixed. Starting with hundreds of boulders of buildmats for free might be a bit unbalanced.
Spooky Signature

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2014, 04:40:23 pm »

No, its designed like that. Dirt is free, but you cant use it in the mason or anything like that. Its only for floor/wall. Thats it. Even if it werent free, you can collect unlimited amounts of it, like clay anyway.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2014, 04:49:57 pm »

No, its designed like that. Dirt is free, but you cant use it in the mason or anything like that. Its only for floor/wall. Thats it. Even if it werent free, you can collect unlimited amounts of it, like clay anyway.

Yeah you can collect unlimited amounts of it, but you can also START with unlimited amounts of it which is another matter. And I'm not sure that it only being floor/wall is exactly much help. Normally when I build large outside buildings, I use blocks of bone or leather or stone or wood with maybe a bit of peat or clay. It is built over many seasons and is a huge investment of materials. Bringing hundreds of dirt boulders and making one of those for free seems sort of cheaty. Plus it doesn't seem quite right to have that in a wagon. If I'm a dwarf, I'm going to doubt the sanity of one who stuffs multiple wagons with dirt and mud.
TL;DR: Dirt is fine, but there should be no way to embark with it for free. Maybe add the [SPECIAL] tag to it? That would also keep caravans from bringing it to trade, if I understand the tag correctly.
Spooky Signature

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2014, 05:07:23 pm »

No, its designed like that.
If you dont think Dirt should be free, dont buy it. ^^

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2014, 05:46:39 pm »

I agree with Arcvasti. Being able to Embark with an unlimited amount of Dirt Boulders does not seem very balanced. So far ive only built my Fort out of Clay, which is unlimited. But i need to invest a lot of time and man(Kobold)power into gathering it first. Starting with all that Dirt kills some of the challenge in my opinion. But in the end it is the individual players choice, so its not a big deal.

Snallac

• Bay Watcher
  • King of ze Snails
    • View Profile
    • The Blight
« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2014, 07:11:59 am »

This is ridiculous. Ive got a big wooden fort going on the surface because i forgot to generate the world with show caves on yes, and i have seventeen bolds and im in my second year, but i already have a war marshal with mithril gear and two war badger dogs assigned to him, a war ogre and ogress, an forge and a ton of different rare metals like steel, mithril, cobalt, etc. All of this from trading the constant stream of caravans some lavish meals. And I can keep making lavish meals forever, because of my low population and my huge pile of food. The kobold caravans shouldn't have stuff like mithril bars to trade away, they're kobolds! It makes it way too easy to get a ton of advanced stuff really early.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2014, 11:31:22 am »

This is ridiculous. Ive got a big wooden fort going on the surface because i forgot to generate the world with show caves on yes, and i have seventeen bolds and im in my second year, but i already have a war marshal with mithril gear and two war badger dogs assigned to him, a war ogre and ogress, an forge and a ton of different rare metals like steel, mithril, cobalt, etc. All of this from trading the constant stream of caravans some lavish meals. And I can keep making lavish meals forever, because of my low population and my huge pile of food. The kobold caravans shouldn't have stuff like mithril bars to trade away, they're kobolds! It makes it way too easy to get a ton of advanced stuff really early.

I believe that even with mithral stuff, kobolds still come up short(Armokdamned ninja drow) until they have very high combat skill and a bunch of magical buffs.  For thematic reasons though, bold caravans shouldn't bring mithral. And besides, you can get tons of mithral anyways by raiding chaos dwarves, so it doesn't wreck game balance ALL that much. Also mithral is really valuable, so making high to mid quality weapons with it will attract unwanted attention.
Spooky Signature

Snallac

• Bay Watcher
  • King of ze Snails
    • View Profile
    • The Blight
« Reply #144 on: January 30, 2014, 06:09:52 pm »

Welp, im screwed. Couple of forest spiders came, ordered my warband marshal to kill em, he uses his magma injecting bite to start a fire in the middle of the fortress, which reduces the kobold population to 2 and the animal population to 10.
Edit: And just after all this dwarves attack. They're just camping out at the edge of the map right now, but once they attack for real im doomed. I really hope you get the magma bite glitch fixed soon.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:47:17 am by Snallac »

Merlin4711

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2014, 04:42:23 pm »

I have a dumb question: How am I supposed to get water in a freezing environment?
I settled at at temperate conifer forest or stuff like that. After encountering some problems with bridge-building, the first winter hit me. Unfortunately walling in a pool of water didn't preserve it from getting freezed. I did some emergency builds (distillery and the kobold buildings I had the material for) but somehow my amount of emergency-berries I bought before embarking disapperead, so I can't even brew alcohol and get water out of it.
Now my poor Bold  will all die because of dehydration.  :'(

And I can't even dig a cavern for this. While its a interesting experience building a above-ground-only-fortress, I miss the shovel, which I used some releases before to dig trough soil.

So... what should I do? Embark just at warm location seems... a bit dumb. Oh well, no, it isn't after all, but I tend to settle at a cold location if I can choose.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2014, 05:55:59 pm »

I have a dumb question: How am I supposed to get water in a freezing environment?
I settled at at temperate conifer forest or stuff like that. After encountering some problems with bridge-building, the first winter hit me. Unfortunately walling in a pool of water didn't preserve it from getting freezed. I did some emergency builds (distillery and the kobold buildings I had the material for) but somehow my amount of emergency-berries I bought before embarking disapperead, so I can't even brew alcohol and get water out of it.
Now my poor Bold  will all die because of dehydration.  :'(

And I can't even dig a cavern for this. While its a interesting experience building a above-ground-only-fortress, I miss the shovel, which I used some releases before to dig trough soil.

So... what should I do? Embark just at warm location seems... a bit dumb. Oh well, no, it isn't after all, but I tend to settle at a cold location if I can choose.
You can't get water in cold climates. Best you can do is get a juice bar and send bolds out to gather plants to turn into juice and tea.
Spooky Signature

Merlin4711

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2014, 09:39:18 am »

Gnaaa, thats bad.
But... even the Orks bring some workshops with 'em, that could solve this problem: WaterBarrels and WaterCisterns. Using the "melt Ice to water cistern or barrel", Taiga-Orks don't have that problem. May I ask if there is a design-decision that prevent Goblins form using this kind of workshop too?

EDiT: Nevermind - if Bold could mine out Ice-Blocks, they would be able to dig caverns too.
Too bad you can't collect bags of snow like you do with sand or clay.

Anyway - this day a megabeast walked in (some kind of acid spraying Raptor with wings). He killed most of the Bolds... then he went to the Jack-Rat Pasture and got killed by about two dozend pissed off Jack-Rats hanging at his limbs.  :o
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 10:31:36 am by Merlin4711 »

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2014, 09:18:58 pm »

I realised armor doesn't help 'bolds as much as most races, as I had a squad of 'bolds in full iron get taken down by a moose before. Well, almost the who squad, 1 of the 5 took down the moose, but he kinda stayed in the hospital for a whole year. I believe kobolds rely on luck more than metal.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2014, 09:42:13 pm »

I realised armor doesn't help 'bolds as much as most races, as I had a squad of 'bolds in full iron get taken down by a moose before. Well, almost the who squad, 1 of the 5 took down the moose, but he kinda stayed in the hospital for a whole year. I believe kobolds rely on luck more than metal.

Size is a pretty big part of combat calculations ATM, giving bolds a rather large disadvantage in melee combat, even decently good equipment can only offset that big factor so much. Kobolds do require a decent amount of luck or better yet, high dodging skill for melee combat. The other big combat statistic ATM is speed, which is reduced by unskilled soldiers wearing heavy armor. And heavy armor combined with poor armor user level and naturally low bold strength means that iron or steel armor reduces bold speed by a lot.  Lammallar leather is far superior to iron in terms of lightness, making it a better armor material then heavy iron for weak unskiled bolds. Since bolds breed so fast and have so much tantrum resistance, lemming squads are also reasonably effective as sheer numbers is another good way of turning the tides of combat.
Spooky Signature
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12