Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201911 times)

Kikuto

• Bay Watcher
  • Missing being an escaped lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2325 on: April 03, 2014, 09:29:56 pm »

There’s also basic information in the Dwarf Manual but the quickguide is much more detailed.   
Lol

Ah! okay, found the hyperlink to the ranged weapons before but now that you point out that they're quickguides found the ammo one. Interesting read through, might have to do a little dwarf science myself to figure out how penetration and contact area affect force and damage and all that. So is there a ranged increment for these weapons? Is it based on maxed velocity? Or is it just all the same.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: April 04, 2014, 02:24:31 am »

Lol
... might have to do a little dwarf science myself to figure out how penetration and contact area affect force and damage and all that.

Lol indeed. 

And good luck with that: penetration is one of the most complicated systems to optimize.  The Wiki pages are living documents and many of the best references for that are no longer active (Shenziril, etc.)  The armor page used to have a link to the penetration flowchart algorithm but no longer does; "somewhere on Wiki," it’s a best-guess flowchart for vanilla and so of limited use for MW in any case, just points out that penetration isn’t as straightforward as some of the others.   

Someday, somebody will maybe put it all together with Zagibu's chart,
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53571.0
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

RavenZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: April 06, 2014, 09:05:12 am »

Hi guys, i have a question about Masterwork. If i in Civilizations tab in Masterwork deactivate Dwarfs but will leave them still playable do I get migration waves?
I read somewhere that first three migration waves are kinda "hardcoded" but the others depend on something (3 migration waves is ok for me). I would like to do a small outpost from the starting 7 dwarfs (think of hunters outpost, living on animals and wood - no mining/masonry - only carpentry, hunting and leatherworking).
Im asking because im not so coldbloodied to leave outside dwarfs and let them starve... That is not ok...

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: April 06, 2014, 09:23:11 am »

If you "deactivate" dwarves in the sense that you remove them from worldgen, distinct from leaving them in world gen but removing the playable tag, I don't think you'll be able to embark with that race because they won't exist as a civ.

I think if you set the pop cap to 1 or 0 you'll still get the first two waves and should not get any more; however, I forget if births respect the pop cap.

RavenZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: April 06, 2014, 09:57:36 am »

So if i set pop cap to lets say 10 and child cap to 5 i will be migration waves free? I must test that... If so... Hell yeah?! I guess...

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: April 06, 2014, 10:41:32 am »

Like I said, I'm not sure if births respect the pop cap. Like, you might keep the baby/child setting to the default meaningless 100:1000 but with a cap of 0 dwarves may simply not breed anyway. (You can still potentially get children as migrants; I don't think I've ever seen a baby arrive with its mother on a migrant wave.)

Also, the pop cap setting is somewhat misunderstood/buggy. AFAIK the only way to absolutely-kind-of ensure that you don't get extra migrant waves beyond the first two is to set it to 0. In my reading about it, players seem to misunderstand how it works; they treat it as purely a performance feature independent of any gameplay mechanics, when what appears to be the case is that it still has to go through the "communication" simulated between your fort and the mountainhome by the liaison. So you get a wave in summer, fall, and possibly the next spring depending on how long the liaison took to finish his meeting.

Also remember that while the first two waves are guaranteed, the size of them varies and could still result in a total of 40 dwarves or more.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:43:50 am by Niveras »

Delta_02_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: April 06, 2014, 06:00:44 pm »

I remember that Kobold thief's dropped bags of loot on their death, was this changed? They don't seem to drop them anymore :(

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: April 06, 2014, 06:18:46 pm »

No, they still do.  Shiny things: amulets, figurines and the like.  (4i, anyways)
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: April 07, 2014, 06:40:24 am »

um...is there any way to specify unoccupied cages for building and reactions? *giggles at the megabeast workshop built with 2 caged undead forest spiders*
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: April 07, 2014, 07:07:13 am »

With buildings, press x to expand the list of building materials. With reactions, use an animal stockpile that only accepts empty cages.

Is there a way to grow farmed nethercaps? I think I read some where else related to featherwood farming that the sawmill doesn't count as 'discovering' new seeds so it doesn't show up in the farm plot. I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:14:18 am by blapnk »

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: April 07, 2014, 08:40:50 am »

Use the following script to allow your new seeds to be grown in your tree farm.

Save to dfhack.scripts folders as knowplant.lua
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For the future perhaps various reactions to run this script could be added to the herbalist (E.g. Research Featherwood Farming)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:51:09 am by drayath »
Drayath's Gem Splitting Workshop - Split large gems and gem trinkets into numbers of small gems.
Drayath's Seed Brewery - Convert bags of spare seeds into useful booze.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2336 on: April 07, 2014, 10:23:55 am »

Use the following script to allow your new seeds to be grown in your tree farm.

Save to dfhack.scripts folders as knowplant.lua
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For the future perhaps various reactions to run this script could be added to the herbalist (E.g. Research Featherwood Farming)
This adds the name of a specific plant to the farm menu? Does it work with plants that otherwise dont grow, because of biomes, for example on glaciers?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: April 07, 2014, 12:33:35 pm »

Just tried adding FEATHER_SMALL and GLOMPRONG_SMALL to a Savage embark and they are appearing on the farm plot list. So it appears evil/good restrictions are ignored.

Tested on a glacier; tiletypes to create some soil, create farm; Does NOT allow added plants to grow.

Looks as if generic location restictions are ignored ([DRY][WET][EVIL]) but specific ones, incluing above/below ground are still checked ([BIOME:NOT_FREEZING][BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER][BIOME:GRASSLAND_TEMPERATE] etc)
Drayath's Gem Splitting Workshop - Split large gems and gem trinkets into numbers of small gems.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2338 on: April 07, 2014, 12:37:01 pm »

Neat, I will certainly add this, to run automatically when you create the specific seeds.

Any way to make farms ignore the biomes? I mean i can simulate it with workshops, but high-tier farmers or herbalists should be able to grow crops outside of their biomes...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: April 07, 2014, 01:06:07 pm »

The only way i could think of would be to use dfhack to edit the plant raw to remove the biome tags. Had a quick look and seems simpe to do, but it is a global world change so any changes would affect all future forts in that world (and potentially living world civ changes after the next df update)

On the previous script, if you are going to use it a one off research reaction may be better than using it for every seed production reaction, just to keep the number of dfhack script calls down. Could go it either one per plant or group them (e.g. all trees, all good plants etc)

Edit: A possibility though a bit hacky; Create a new plant type than can't be used for anything (Glacial Moss) that can grow in freezing environment (like kobulb bulb). Have a cultivator building [Grows traditional crops on a rich bed of moss], it has a set of reactions that take 5 units of moss and 5 seeds of type xxx to produce 5 plants of xxx & some glacial moss seeds.
Get all the farm benifits/restrictions (grow time, skill effects, fertilization) and you can control exactly the quantity of food produced (moss is not edible, can vary the amount of moss needed for 5 plants. E.g. Tree sapling might take 25 moss.)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:24:36 pm by drayath »
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 165