Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201913 times)

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2310 on: March 30, 2014, 07:32:07 pm »

Been looking around and couldn't find an answer.

How do I get my kobolds to actually use the thieves tunnel? Manual says it train/uses Skill: Sneaking/Hunter but he's not biting and I can't find a sneaking skill to toggle on.

Edit: Nevermind, turned out my existing hunter was a cripple.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:38:12 pm by Azure »

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: April 01, 2014, 07:47:00 am »

Alright same problem as before - I have two two-dwarf squads, they have been given training weapons, 3/4 of them have novice in a weapon skill, I've set them to active/training, switched up their schedules, set a barracks for them, disabled all their labors, tried stationing them inside the barracks... no dice. Why is training just not working? Is it a major bug?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2312 on: April 01, 2014, 08:08:48 am »

Alright same problem as before - I have two two-dwarf squads, they have been given training weapons, 3/4 of them have novice in a weapon skill, I've set them to active/training, switched up their schedules, set a barracks for them, disabled all their labors, tried stationing them inside the barracks... no dice. Why is training just not working? Is it a major bug?
this is with 4j now?

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: April 01, 2014, 10:30:12 am »

switched up their schedules - no changes here are needed except for super scientific things... there is really no need to even look into the schedule menu, unless you have no troubles at all with handling your military (obv not the case) and want to do some cool gimmicks like automatic patrols etc...
disabled all their labors completely irrelevant, once set to active, they are military members and ignore their labors anyway
tried stationing them inside the barracks if you station them, of course they won't train... They will guard the barracks against anyone passing by... so don't do it...

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: April 01, 2014, 11:41:55 am »

I should note I haven't updated to 4j. But I haven't kept them stationed, I temporarily did to see if that would get them to train. It seems that there is a bug with training.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2315 on: April 01, 2014, 01:57:27 pm »

I should note I haven't updated to 4j. But I haven't kept them stationed, I temporarily did to see if that would get them to train. It seems that there is a bug with training.
someone had pointed out in the bug thread that that in 4i there was an issue with one of the gnome scripts messing up the dates and time which seemed to be causing the military problems. so this may already be fixed, i haven't tested it yet on 4j.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: April 01, 2014, 02:12:36 pm »

someone had pointed out in the bug thread that that in 4i there was an issue with one of the gnome scripts messing up the dates and time which seemed to be causing the military problems. so this may already be fixed, i haven't tested it yet on 4j.

someone claimed to have it read in a thread, that only had one guy asking about the date issue and me answering about it
The militia bug was never mentioned in there...
So I would consider this rumor foundationless ;) But of course there may be a connection, due to schedules bugging out... But that is pure speculation

rustyshack1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: April 02, 2014, 01:15:04 am »

Heya, strange question here. There is a dwarf in my fortress with no first name to speak of. He is apparently a 'lumberjack' and his caste is set as the "alchemist's guild." My main concern however, has to deal with the fact that he is apparently 5 years old.

I am able to assign various labors to him and he seems to be working rather steadily on chopping wood and other hauling tasks enabled. I'm willing to let him keep going but I can't help but wonder if he is some child-prodigy/exploding-dwarf hybrid something...is this a bug or an actual phenomena?

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: April 02, 2014, 01:36:20 am »

Meph changed the age that kids grow to adults to be 5. Just so that they are useless booze sponges for a shorter period of time.

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: April 02, 2014, 02:01:33 am »

Meph changed the age that kids grow to adults to be 5. Just so that they are useless booze sponges for a shorter period of time.

I there an easy way to change this back? I never really liked it. 5 year old making weapons and hauling boulders?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: April 02, 2014, 02:04:11 am »

I there an easy way to change this back? I never really liked it. 5 year old making weapons and hauling boulders?

What, you actualluy want them being useless for over a decade?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: April 02, 2014, 04:35:56 am »

You can change the tags in your save's raws so that future children will take 10 (I think the default is actually 12) years to mature from baby to adult, but I'm not 100% sure what would happen to the unit itself. He may end up remaining an adult.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: April 02, 2014, 05:32:24 am »

Question: I got a bone golem killed and I butchered it and got a 'cast'. What's it?

Kikuto

• Bay Watcher
  • Missing being an escaped lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: April 03, 2014, 09:49:03 am »

I was kinda curious about the different ranged weapons.

Looking for sort of a breakdown of the weapons. Went into the manual but the descriptions not huge on differences in combat between them besides hands used, ammo, skill and speed and all of them as fast anyways besides some trade only bows. So whats the difference, is there a range increment? Like crossbow can shoot farther then hammer sling?

The MecAxe throwers look cool and dwarfy but with hammer, piercing and broadhead ammo I can get all damage types with crossbows where as only one with axe thrower so it feels like a handicap if anything?

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: April 03, 2014, 04:51:04 pm »

Check the quickguides (html) in your main MW directory, there’s one for ranged weapons.  It used to be time-consuming to check every single item in the raws but they’ve been collected together for easy reference.  Javelins trump crossbows, btw, for typical dwarves.  If you get a migrant coming in with Archer skill, then look at the flavor bows of other races.  There’s also basic information in the Dwarf Manual but the quickguide is much more detailed.   The mech axe-thrower will come in handy when later invasions start coming with upgraded armor. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 165