Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201897 times)

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2295 on: March 28, 2014, 06:14:15 pm »

In the hall? As in: Both happen to stand ON the workshop? that would explain it.

Yes - the guildhall is right next to the dining room, hospital, and prepared food / drink piles.  I like that aesthetic.  The entire level is my siege burrow, and a good chunk of it is defined as "Meeting Hall".  There's beards loitering on top of the workshop all the time.

DaSwayza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: March 28, 2014, 07:35:00 pm »

Maybe I can ask you guys, how do I actually play Orc Fortress? every time I try to do it, it gives me a default dwarven embark, I can't get to an Orcish embark.

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: March 28, 2014, 11:33:27 pm »

So uh. Was my question ever answered?

How do i go about seeing what items are needed for a reaction? Only reactions in red that i cant do already will show me the reagents needed. I want to see whats needed for each reaction that is white text and doable.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: March 29, 2014, 12:36:13 am »

Repulsion. Military dwarves do not train untill they have reached above level 1 rank of skill. to proove / test this make a boot camp with beds food and drink

stuff the untrained dwarves in there so the ONLY thing they can do is train (example is a group of 10) no one in this group will train at all untill they indiviually combat drill themselves / get shown by the squadleader how to use their weapon. they follow the rule of NO DWARF LEFT BEHIND (in skill) or, the squad is only as strong as its weakest link. and they all progress (slowly) at the same rate.

to combat this problem. use smaller groups of dwarves, 2~4 they train much faster in this example.

(10 squad) 1 dwarf will lead showing them how to use something, 1 or 2 dwarves will watch, 2~4 dwarves will spar, 3~6 dwarves will be NO-JOB

(4 squad) 1 dwarf will demonstrate. 1 dwarf will watch, 2~4 dwarves will spawn.

this works the same with marksdwarves, as they do -not- train archery till they are above lv 1 in the ranged weapon you choose.

DaSwayza
to play as other races, first enable their option on the opening GUI, then you must create a world with that setting in place. then before you embark, you tab to the civilization tab and pick the one you want.

if you still cant manage that, then disable all other playable races and only let orcs be the playable race. then gen a new world.

moisesjns:
i do it from memory, some entries are on the wiki, some are in the manual, some are trial and error. but the most accurate way is to browse the raws.

(now if there really is a way to do what you said without the above, i'd like to know)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 12:51:02 am by Fairin »

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: March 29, 2014, 04:24:38 am »

there is some hotkey to see the reagents of available reactions, sadly i only got it by chance a few time, but never managed o remember it...

in any way, the simplest way without it is a quick stockpilelink to an empty stockpile ^^ then all reactions are red, and you can do it the usual way :D

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: March 29, 2014, 09:54:35 am »

Ah, so I should either sic my dwarves on some wildlife to get their skill up, or use the library system? alright, makes sense.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: March 29, 2014, 10:07:02 am »

Ah, so I should either sic my dwarves on some wildlife to get their skill up, or use the library system? alright, makes sense.

stick them in boot camp they will eventually learn to fight without the danger, of course if you got a library use it, abuse it!.

DaSwayza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: March 29, 2014, 12:01:20 pm »

Thank you, I was unaware of the Civ Screen thing, that solves my problem, thanks a lot

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: March 30, 2014, 09:51:34 am »

I am planning on embarking on a site within reach of 5 towers. (world with 5000 years of history). Any suggestions on how to approach the situation? I am not really experienced with necromancers at all.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: March 30, 2014, 12:01:35 pm »

I am planning on embarking on a site within reach of 5 towers. (world with 5000 years of history). Any suggestions on how to approach the situation? I am not really experienced with necromancers at all.
Holy carp, that's a really long worldgen! Besides a high probability of near-ceaseless undead sieges, I'd be thinking about what civs were still in existence by that point. What's the Age?

In the Settings GUI, will changing a race's Good/Evil setting change their trading/hostility status? I want to get rid of friendly drow, I don't get why they're good by default in the first place. It makes no sense.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: March 30, 2014, 12:10:42 pm »

In the Settings GUI, will changing a race's Good/Evil setting change their trading/hostility status? I want to get rid of friendly drow, I don't get why they're good by default in the first place. It makes no sense.

Remove the Drow Activ, add the Evil Drow in the GUI. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: March 30, 2014, 02:21:34 pm »

Holy carp, that's a really long worldgen! Besides a high probability of near-ceaseless undead sieges, I'd be thinking about what civs were still in existence by that point. What's the Age?

It's so long that LegendsViewer crashes when trying to open the 1.5 GB xml. Which is annoying, because going through the history is the only reason I genned this world.

It's still only Age of Legends, because I put 1000 titans, megabeasts and semimegabeasts. In a pocket region. I salivate at imagining the slaughter.

Civ still existing are Kobolds, Orcs, Frost Giants and War Elephants (fortress defense). For some reason, the good races also survived, aside for the Elves (heh).

So what's the best way of dealing with undead? Warhammers? How do I dispose of the bodyparts?

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: March 30, 2014, 03:41:15 pm »

@Stormbuilder: wow, neat world, what MW version is it? Can I have the file please? Did you make it for dwarfs or orcs/whatever?
As for approaching the situation, just wall yourself in ASAP and don't let any bones/bodies in your fort, act as if you're in a haunted/terrifying biome.
Body parts disposal: dump them all in a deep empty pit/a pit of lava works best and rids you of any future problems. Watch "Single pick challenge, Furnanceclans", it's on the Dwarf mode forum and has several youtube videos of a dude showing a tutorial of how to survive with 7 unskilled dwarfs, no food/drinks and only 1 pick on an evil glacier biome with a 2 level aquifer. He explains how to do everything.

Cheers

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: March 30, 2014, 06:18:22 pm »

sounds like overkill for a few necros... just some regular LOS blocking is enough to deal with them... No need to take many measures inside your fortress.... Use less open designs, not too long straight pathes/ stairways and let your militia hide behind corners and things are quite easy. Also having some ranged weaponry and a good spotting network can be a very good help.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: March 30, 2014, 06:39:18 pm »

Remove the Drow Activ, add the Evil Drow in the GUI.
I wanted to avoid that, and switching the Good/Evil flag seems to have worked anyway.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 165