Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201873 times)

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2220 on: March 14, 2014, 09:37:29 am »

Ok, after years, my marksdwarfs are NOT training... I set them up properly like in my vanilla fort and they worked there. But in MW they never train, unless I set them up with a barrack in which case they train dodging and stuff, but not archery range practice. My melee dwarfs are fine and kicking, they even turned legendary from all that training :)

Any idea what's wrong? Since my enemies are nightwings I always suffer a lot of annoyance when they attack because my freaking marksdwarfs suck at hitting things...

Cheers

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: March 15, 2014, 12:08:56 pm »

Hey guys, I trained a nun into an Apostle. I believe that was a mistake?

I then tried to turn it into a priest and got the announcement 'Nun of Armok transformed into a Praying Dwarf'.

On the unit list it now reads 'Tame' constantly. Like a pet or something. Can anybody help? It will not pray or do anything, just stands still.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: March 15, 2014, 12:22:41 pm »

The skill for praying is called "apostle/nun of Armok" so it doesn't really influence the status of that dwarf as a priest/ess. There is only the "turn dwarf to priest" reaction so you did the right thing. In the manual it states that the reactions take 1 month for apostle ,3 for priest and 6 for High priest. During that time the dwarf is turned into a creature called "praying dwarf" so you can't influence him/her in any way during the reaction and he/she doesn't need food and drink. After the time period is up you get the dwarf back and they'll only have the praying skill now. Train that skill in the monastery until legendary then assign them to an altar and constantly have them pray for what you need most, such as food, drink, soft metal, hard metal, gems etc. A legendary prayer can get you those things faster than you can mine and smelt them yourself. This is how I get platinum on my platinum devoid map, as well as a LOT of valuable gems.

The priest dwarfs are not exactly 100% bug free, since "They also swear an oath of celibacy, so no kids." yet my nun has a family already(dunno if there's a kid around as well, I have high child fatality rate) even though she came as a nun so could upgrade her to a priestess. And I have some apostle that is an adept metalsmith and keeps gaining skills. Probably after he's a priest he'll be fixed.

Cheers

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: March 15, 2014, 01:01:51 pm »

Thanks for the great reply!

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: March 15, 2014, 02:01:04 pm »

you're welcome!

Can anyone give me some info on magmaling/waterling usage? I don't want to burn down/drown my fort and I want to make a magma chute that drops magma on intruders. I have a junkload of changelings and I know I need tear of armok to turn them into magmalings at the alchemist. Does the reaction target a random changeling or the nearest one to the shop? When I activate the "command magmalings to create magma" at the alchemist do ALL magmalings create magma? What's the production rate, would 2 be enough to fill a 4 Z level magma tank and prevent evaporation?

Also, I have a genie and he claimed a nest. What's the "present" spawn rate and what's the max value/material/quality of the items? Can I get a piece of leather(Actually got one) at the same chance as an adamantine sword?

Is concrete magma-proof?

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: March 15, 2014, 02:46:17 pm »

Hey, anyone know how to fix my dwarves not responding to alerts properly? They refuse to switch to 'military mode' and only train when on Inactive mode. It's annoying as hell.

This is also happening to me!!!! It's completely ruining my game.

When you gives orders to the squad they join the respective military professions. You take em off, they go straight back to civilian. Even when on active orders, I've checked thoroughly. They even have 'Go to training' briefly when being ordered around.

Only inactive works, and the odd dwarf goes off to do Individual Drill.

Can we get a reply? This is incredibly frustrating... ;p

Scrap this, I've just searched the bug report thread. It's well documented. :/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 02:48:30 pm by Mudcrab »

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: March 15, 2014, 07:02:41 pm »

Is concrete magma-proof?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: March 15, 2014, 07:04:31 pm »

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: March 15, 2014, 07:10:12 pm »

woa, thanks, I would have built my magma chute out of that. Phew

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: March 15, 2014, 07:23:15 pm »

Any construction is magmaproof.
Even wood and iceblocks...

(means, everything from the b-C menu, so walls, floors, ramps, fortifications, tracks)

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: March 15, 2014, 07:32:48 pm »

ah, thanks a lot. I guess I just need to make mechanisms and doors then. Concrete is so much easier than regular block making, especially with my "Masterwork" massive slag bars :D .

How fast does a magmaling spawn magma per "command magmaling" reaction?

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: March 15, 2014, 07:36:50 pm »

VERY fast...
They can fill big pools quite fast...

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: March 15, 2014, 07:49:20 pm »

excellent!
Hmm ,any designs for a small size Cart grinder? Preferably without power requirements... Do stops make the cart stop by itself?

Cheers

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: March 15, 2014, 08:07:46 pm »

. =empty space ,
F = Floor,
W = Wall,
1 = Trackramp NS,
2 = Trackramp NW,
3 = Trackramp NE,
4 = Trackramp SW,
5 = Trackramp SE,
H = hatchcover

Lvl1:
enemies enter from north, go to south
Code: [Select]
FWWF
FWWF
F11F
W23W
W23W
-as many as you like-
W23W
W23W
W23W
WFFW
WFFW
lvl2:
Code: [Select]
WWWW
4WW5
4WW5
-as many as you like-
4W44
4W4W
4HHW
53WW
WWWW

Put a minecart on each hatch cover, and open the hatches to start the system and close them to stop it.

Be careful, this design is not buildingdestroyer safe ^^

If you want to achieve that, change one row of:
W23W onto the lower floor into F11F (important that its floors, not ramps)
and the corresponding row above from 4WW5 into .WW.

Better do this close to the southern end of the system.

This prevents any BD to reach the hatches, and the minecarts can jump over the gaps, without issues, if they have enough speed (that's why it should be done close to the southern end)

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: March 16, 2014, 04:27:10 pm »

Thanks a lot! I'll get to it right away. Lvl 2 is z =0 and lvl 1 is z=-1, right?

Cheers
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 165