Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201814 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2175 on: March 05, 2014, 03:02:54 pm »

You can butcher living stone at the slaughterhouse for meat

How do I go about doing that? After I mine it, nothing seems to be left behind except blood.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: March 05, 2014, 03:13:12 pm »

Living Stone is bugged, just dig around it.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: March 05, 2014, 03:18:56 pm »

Did something happen to the zoom keybindings during the last few versions?  I used to could use my mouse's scroll wheel, but it seems that no longer functions -- neither does the vanilla [ and ].

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: March 05, 2014, 03:21:29 pm »

Did something happen to the zoom keybindings during the last few versions?  I used to could use my mouse's scroll wheel, but it seems that no longer functions -- neither does the vanilla [ and ].
press ESC, then you can reconfigure it under 'key bindings'

AxisKiller

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that could happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: March 05, 2014, 04:36:34 pm »

Some ammo-related questions that have probably come up before, but I can't find them with searching.

A) Is there a way to have multiple ranged weapon types in one squad? I keep ending up with crossbowdwarves carrying around javelins, javelin dwarves carrying bolts, and so on, because you can only set ammo on a squad-level basis. Unless I'm blind or something.

B) And a similar situation with hunters. Hunter A will want to use an axe thrower, but keeps claiming crossbow bolts. He'll pick up the bolts, immediately drop them, pick them back up and stow them in a bin, and then claim them again ad infinitum. I've found no solution other than disabling hunting.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: March 06, 2014, 02:04:28 am »

Hey, I didn't notice this gameplay questions thread, so I made my own: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136857.0
You should sticky this thread so people don't miss it.
Should I move my questions here?

Cheers
Probably should move it, in any case, I'll answer your questions here.
1. No comment on workflow or hotkey, I don't use those commands. Mousequery, however, works as intended for every version of Masterwork, as far as I know.

2. Again, I've never had problems using SoundSense with Masterwork.

3. Bone-dry products are not finished goods. They are the ultimate product of the Potter's Workshop, but this is just dried unfired clay objects. It works like this:

-1. Create a valid Clay collection activity zone.
-2. Collect Clay task at Clay Oven.
-3. Shape <item> from (collected) clay at Potter's Workshop. Produces Greenware <item>.
-4. Dry Greenware clay object two more times into leather-hard and then bone-dry states.
Note that NONE of these are useful, except for the raw clay, which could be used as a buildmat.
-5. Fire the clay object at the Clay Oven. This task produces a useable Earthenware/Stoneware/Porcelain good with value to it, and also determines the overall object quality.
-6. Earthenware or Stoneware objects still need to be glazed at the Kiln before they can safely hold liquids.

This long and complicated process is offset by clay never running out.

4. Orichalcum is at least as good as steel, and also more valuable. I'm guessing your other reagents must've been pretty worthless, because I once had a freaking chain worth more than a quarter of a million dwarfbucks. In particular, I think there's some mechanic that makes moody metalsmiths certain, or at least more likely, to choose orichalcum for their artifact, unless maybe they have a metal for their material preference. However, orichalcum is also the 'holy metal' of dwarves, and is a reagent for a few religious/arcane reactions, so make sure at the very least that you never use it up completely. Keep in mind, too, that your supply will most likely bottleneck when you stop digging/smelting raw ores. Melting goblinite/useless tradegoods/et cetera will never get more orichalcum. Besides, welded mithril is better for edged weapons and armor, and welded wolfram is better for blunts.

5. I already covered this, but there's a somewhat major thing I forgot. USE AN ORE PROCESSOR! Not only is smelting raw ore really inefficient in terms of the metal you want (it also produces a lot of slag) but the refining process produces significant amounts of blocks and flux stones. More importantly, though, the refined ore when it's smelted has DOUBLE the orichalcum yield compared to the freshly mined stuff.

6. You'll probably get warlocks. They will try to kill you. That happens to everyone, though. Your fort name/civ name has no effect on gameplay, although that is a pretty evil sounding one for dwarves . . .

Thanks for the replies!
1. Well mousequery doesn't seem to work scrolling-wise for me, at least not as vanilla DF does. Must be different settings.

2. Seems only the Soundsense that comes with MW works after redownloading everything.

3. the jobs keep getting cancelled unfortunately for some reason. So I always have some dry-bone or greenware stuff around that doesn't get turned into earthware.

4. Actually the orichalum mace was made out of one bar of orichalum and 1 bone. The bone was used just for some picture of a forgotten beast.

5. Oh I never smelt unprocessed ore, I don't have that much ore on the map so I can't afford to waste it. Any advice on the best way to equip infantry with little resources?

6. Hmm, they might be chaos dwarfs or something, at least in the creature list there's something called "chaos dwarf" and I did enable "evil dwarfs" in the MW menu :D . But yes, evil name. Calls for a magma weapon against sieges :D

QUESTION: Any way to use magma to generate power? I'm not very skilled at making water generators and I want to make a fort that uses magma for EVERYTHING. I know about the steam engine, but I don't have the materials for brass on the map...

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 02:42:09 am by MerkerBenson »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: March 06, 2014, 05:42:07 am »

The only methods of generating power are waterwheels, windmills, and the steam engine (and maybe a couple others that Meph added that I don't remember?). I forget if pumps can transmit energy when a dwarf works them, but probably not. In any case, the steam engine is currently the only way to generate power from magma; you can always try ordering brass from the dwarven (and maybe human?) caravan.

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: March 06, 2014, 07:20:57 am »

Some ammo-related questions that have probably come up before, but I can't find them with searching.

A) Is there a way to have multiple ranged weapon types in one squad? I keep ending up with crossbowdwarves carrying around javelins, javelin dwarves carrying bolts, and so on, because you can only set ammo on a squad-level basis. Unless I'm blind or something.

B) And a similar situation with hunters. Hunter A will want to use an axe thrower, but keeps claiming crossbow bolts. He'll pick up the bolts, immediately drop them, pick them back up and stow them in a bin, and then claim them again ad infinitum. I've found no solution other than disabling hunting.

No, the vanilla game isn't set up to support mixed range squads. Best I do is to pick a weapon type and stick to it across hunters and squads.
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: March 06, 2014, 09:38:37 am »

I have a questin, I had a miner with the scrizo effect on him but he was fine for a bit. Intill I looked in the battle reports to which I see "Miner caught In boiling gem." which for some odd reason made him say that hes sorry to armok but the insane dorf has to die! Later when digging in living stone my miner again thought that some one was crazy causing him to attack everybody. WTF is going on with my double crazy dorfs?

AxisKiller

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that could happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: March 06, 2014, 10:33:56 am »

No, the vanilla game isn't set up to support mixed range squads. Best I do is to pick a weapon type and stick to it across hunters and squads.

Damn, that's what I thought. Thanks though.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: March 06, 2014, 11:06:02 am »

Hey, I didn't notice this gameplay questions thread, so I made my own: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136857.0
You should sticky this thread so people don't miss it.
Should I move my questions here?

Cheers
Probably should move it, in any case, I'll answer your questions here.
1. No comment on workflow or hotkey, I don't use those commands. Mousequery, however, works as intended for every version of Masterwork, as far as I know.

2. Again, I've never had problems using SoundSense with Masterwork.

3. Bone-dry products are not finished goods. They are the ultimate product of the Potter's Workshop, but this is just dried unfired clay objects. It works like this:

-1. Create a valid Clay collection activity zone.
-2. Collect Clay task at Clay Oven.
-3. Shape <item> from (collected) clay at Potter's Workshop. Produces Greenware <item>.
-4. Dry Greenware clay object two more times into leather-hard and then bone-dry states.
Note that NONE of these are useful, except for the raw clay, which could be used as a buildmat.
-5. Fire the clay object at the Clay Oven. This task produces a useable Earthenware/Stoneware/Porcelain good with value to it, and also determines the overall object quality.
-6. Earthenware or Stoneware objects still need to be glazed at the Kiln before they can safely hold liquids.

This long and complicated process is offset by clay never running out.

4. Orichalcum is at least as good as steel, and also more valuable. I'm guessing your other reagents must've been pretty worthless, because I once had a freaking chain worth more than a quarter of a million dwarfbucks. In particular, I think there's some mechanic that makes moody metalsmiths certain, or at least more likely, to choose orichalcum for their artifact, unless maybe they have a metal for their material preference. However, orichalcum is also the 'holy metal' of dwarves, and is a reagent for a few religious/arcane reactions, so make sure at the very least that you never use it up completely. Keep in mind, too, that your supply will most likely bottleneck when you stop digging/smelting raw ores. Melting goblinite/useless tradegoods/et cetera will never get more orichalcum. Besides, welded mithril is better for edged weapons and armor, and welded wolfram is better for blunts.

5. I already covered this, but there's a somewhat major thing I forgot. USE AN ORE PROCESSOR! Not only is smelting raw ore really inefficient in terms of the metal you want (it also produces a lot of slag) but the refining process produces significant amounts of blocks and flux stones. More importantly, though, the refined ore when it's smelted has DOUBLE the orichalcum yield compared to the freshly mined stuff.

6. You'll probably get warlocks. They will try to kill you. That happens to everyone, though. Your fort name/civ name has no effect on gameplay, although that is a pretty evil sounding one for dwarves . . .

Thanks for the replies!
1. Well mousequery doesn't seem to work scrolling-wise for me, at least not as vanilla DF does. Must be different settings.

2. Seems only the Soundsense that comes with MW works after redownloading everything.

3. the jobs keep getting cancelled unfortunately for some reason. So I always have some dry-bone or greenware stuff around that doesn't get turned into earthware.

4. Actually the orichalum mace was made out of one bar of orichalum and 1 bone. The bone was used just for some picture of a forgotten beast.

5. Oh I never smelt unprocessed ore, I don't have that much ore on the map so I can't afford to waste it. Any advice on the best way to equip infantry with little resources?

6. Hmm, they might be chaos dwarfs or something, at least in the creature list there's something called "chaos dwarf" and I did enable "evil dwarfs" in the MW menu :D . But yes, evil name. Calls for a magma weapon against sieges :D

QUESTION: Any way to use magma to generate power? I'm not very skilled at making water generators and I want to make a fort that uses magma for EVERYTHING. I know about the steam engine, but I don't have the materials for brass on the map...

Cheers
As I said, greenware objects are not a valid target for firing. Perhaps you're forgetting what kind of clay you're using? There's no way to tell what kind of clay an object is made of between shaping and firing it, this can be confusing. If that's not the problem, then it's probably either not having enough charcoal, or putting the oven in a different burrow.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: March 06, 2014, 11:30:08 am »

All the other reactions are redded out. I only activated the white ones

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: March 06, 2014, 07:11:46 pm »

Hmm...something weird is going on.

My squad of two soldiers, armed with a ridiculous overpowered equipment*  ... is just sitting around and not training. The squad is active, with order to train (min 2, tried 1 too), there are barracks set for them to train.

No clue what's going. Ideas?

* = (mithril platearmor with runes, orichalcum mail set, legendary welded mithril battle axes with runes)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:11:33 pm by Stormbuilder »

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: March 07, 2014, 04:06:23 am »

Okay, suggestion for whatever workshops for all races:
Make a reaction, that removes hunting/ambusher skill....
Seriously, I'm tired of my dwarves sneaking around while carrying boulders to the construction site...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2189 on: March 07, 2014, 10:20:07 am »

Okay, suggestion for whatever workshops for all races:
Make a reaction, that removes hunting/ambusher skill....
Seriously, I'm tired of my dwarves sneaking around while carrying boulders to the construction site...
I am sorry mahrgell, I am afraid I can not do that.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 165