Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201829 times)

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2160 on: March 04, 2014, 08:01:29 am »

I was wondering is there a way to see what the creatures are when you random generate them?
check the creature_random_rc.txt and the entity_random_rc.txt in your raw/objects folder

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: March 04, 2014, 09:26:37 am »

I was wondering is there a way to see what the creatures are when you random generate them?
check the creature_random_rc.txt and the entity_random_rc.txt in your raw/objects folder
Thanks dude I got a bunch of random little crawling guys except for one little purple 4 toed thing that has can-learn tag. :P

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: March 04, 2014, 10:23:07 am »

Hey guys, how is titanium for weapons?
Pretty sure it's subpar. You should be using it for welded mithril, anyway.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: March 04, 2014, 05:21:08 pm »

I genned the perfect world -- everyone survived, except the automatons, but they never survive past year 80 anyway.  It was pretty, and variable, and there were lots of cool structures.

But then I noticed the dwarf civ -- the Slothy Coals -- had a peculiar history.  A history that started off with strong dwarf kings and magnificent halls and glorious conquests -- that is, until the elf kings came along.  Yes, elf kings, who ruled for all but a single, horrific decade.  That's when things started to turn bad, because after that point my civ was entirely ruled for over 90 years by.... kobolds.

KOBOLDS.

I kind of want to restore glory to my dwarves, but I've heard that if a king were to have an "accident" in your fort, you can't actually replace him.  Does anyone know if a dfhack command or other such tool is available with Masterwork that would allow you to appoint a king in the event of anothers' untimely (and merciful) demise?

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: March 04, 2014, 05:25:33 pm »

I think there's a make-monarch.lua script that does just that.

EDIT: yes, there is
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:30:21 pm by palu »
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: March 04, 2014, 05:36:00 pm »

Hey, I didn't notice this gameplay questions thread, so I made my own: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136857.0
You should sticky this thread so people don't miss it.
Should I move my questions here?

Cheers

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: March 04, 2014, 06:43:54 pm »

Hey, I didn't notice this gameplay questions thread, so I made my own: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136857.0
You should sticky this thread so people don't miss it.
Should I move my questions here?

Cheers
Probably should move it, in any case, I'll answer your questions here.
1. No comment on workflow or hotkey, I don't use those commands. Mousequery, however, works as intended for every version of Masterwork, as far as I know.

2. Again, I've never had problems using SoundSense with Masterwork.

3. Bone-dry products are not finished goods. They are the ultimate product of the Potter's Workshop, but this is just dried unfired clay objects. It works like this:

-1. Create a valid Clay collection activity zone.
-2. Collect Clay task at Clay Oven.
-3. Shape <item> from (collected) clay at Potter's Workshop. Produces Greenware <item>.
-4. Dry Greenware clay object two more times into leather-hard and then bone-dry states.
Note that NONE of these are useful, except for the raw clay, which could be used as a buildmat.
-5. Fire the clay object at the Clay Oven. This task produces a useable Earthenware/Stoneware/Porcelain good with value to it, and also determines the overall object quality.
-6. Earthenware or Stoneware objects still need to be glazed at the Kiln before they can safely hold liquids.

This long and complicated process is offset by clay never running out.

4. Orichalcum is at least as good as steel, and also more valuable. I'm guessing your other reagents must've been pretty worthless, because I once had a freaking chain worth more than a quarter of a million dwarfbucks. In particular, I think there's some mechanic that makes moody metalsmiths certain, or at least more likely, to choose orichalcum for their artifact, unless maybe they have a metal for their material preference. However, orichalcum is also the 'holy metal' of dwarves, and is a reagent for a few religious/arcane reactions, so make sure at the very least that you never use it up completely. Keep in mind, too, that your supply will most likely bottleneck when you stop digging/smelting raw ores. Melting goblinite/useless tradegoods/et cetera will never get more orichalcum. Besides, welded mithril is better for edged weapons and armor, and welded wolfram is better for blunts.

5. I already covered this, but there's a somewhat major thing I forgot. USE AN ORE PROCESSOR! Not only is smelting raw ore really inefficient in terms of the metal you want (it also produces a lot of slag) but the refining process produces significant amounts of blocks and flux stones. More importantly, though, the refined ore when it's smelted has DOUBLE the orichalcum yield compared to the freshly mined stuff.

6. You'll probably get warlocks. They will try to kill you. That happens to everyone, though. Your fort name/civ name has no effect on gameplay, although that is a pretty evil sounding one for dwarves . . .

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: March 04, 2014, 06:46:23 pm »

Warlocks attack anyone after the were introduced as playabe race? I don't think so

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: March 04, 2014, 07:26:15 pm »

Warlocks attack anyone after the were introduced as playabe race? I don't think so
They're certainly hostile to dwarves, and site finder says warlocks are hostile to everyone but themselves.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: March 04, 2014, 08:02:47 pm »

They're certainly hostile to dwarves, and site finder says warlocks are hostile to everyone but themselves.
Never said anything else...
Still... I doubt they attack anything

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: March 05, 2014, 01:17:55 am »

Plump Helmet Men:

As a particularly Dwarven alternative on how to handle them, could we wall them in a room (probably using a few bridge based airlocks), and whenever we want to kill them and use them as resources, flood the room, drown them and butcher the carcasses? Or maybe upright spike traps instead? Or even some false floor falling traps?

So, feasible? Dorf? Unpractical? Needs magma? Duh, of course it needs magma, but sadly magma won't leave usable corpses.

"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: March 05, 2014, 02:35:05 am »

Plump Helmet Men:

As a particularly Dwarven alternative on how to handle them, could we wall them in a room (probably using a few bridge based airlocks), and whenever we want to kill them and use them as resources, flood the room, drown them and butcher the carcasses? Or maybe upright spike traps instead? Or even some false floor falling traps?

So, feasible? Dorf? Unpractical? Needs magma? Duh, of course it needs magma, but sadly magma won't leave usable corpses.

Not really possible, livestock can't be butchered if they die for any reason other than the slaughter job. You'd have to somehow acquire wild PHM for that to work.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: March 05, 2014, 07:35:04 am »

Plump Helmet Men:

Not really possible, livestock can't be butchered if they die for any reason other than the slaughter job. You'd have to somehow acquire wild PHM for that to work.
I don't think that's right, and also, I'm pretty sure that there ARE no wild PHM.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: March 05, 2014, 11:04:10 am »

I'm back to MW after missing a couple updates, so I'm confused by a couple things:
- What is a spring-reactive shield, and why are all the bad guys armed with them?  Every shield-wielding enemy has had them.
- Is there any way to use living stone for anything useful?

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: March 05, 2014, 02:58:03 pm »

You can butcher living stone at the slaughterhouse for meat
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 165