Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201717 times)

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2070 on: February 17, 2014, 02:45:18 am »

Yes, its gone. All animals leave multiple stacks when being butchered.
Even with the change, though, at most one-half of bones get used. That gets annoying if you're relying on bones as construction material.

I have to agree here:
Since 4.h bones and butchery are massively bugged. If there was any bone simplification planned, it didn't work at all, about 50% of the bones still carry creature type or creature name in their item name, and those clean 'bone' type items do not stack as construction material in menus... so it looks like:
bone table 4
bone table 2
frog men bone table 3
bone table 1
frog men bone table 1
when trying to construct a table.
But that is not even the main issue. As other have reported before, butchery ends in almost eternal loops, rebutchering it's own products, massively stalling everything. Hexxedgarish (4g) had 3 butcher workshops for most of the times, endless dead creatures and still the butchers somehow kept up. Becordorbar now has way less kills per season, 4 butcher workshops, but the stockpile is completely overflowing with skeletons etc, as the butchers are more busy reprocessing their own products...
Also true. Not only will bone objects (and this is only sometimes, mind you, making it all the more annoying) show the species they come from, but sometimes there will be different strings based on what sort of bone was used to make it! While species can sometimes add flavor, having "spine chests" along with "bone chests" is doubleplusungood.
And as mahrgell alludes to, particularly when you're processing named creatures, butchery usually results in Urist McCarnivore constantly trying to get more bones out of random kobold partial skeletons that weigh 1 Γ, that is until you forbid them.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2071 on: February 17, 2014, 05:28:09 am »

I dont know why things get butchered several times.  :-\

The several outcomes of "bone item" and "bone item" and "bone item", even if its all just bone, is a sideeffect of the multiple bone stacks. No way around it I think, if the stacks are separate, the items will be as well. -.-
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: February 17, 2014, 12:28:08 pm »

Not sure if I should report this as a bug in the bugreports or just an awsome thing in the "what is happening..."-thread. So I will just ask here if this is a bug or intended.

As you may have seen in other threads I have a fortress born LICH child running around causing trouble. This far he has resurrected 7 bone golems with seemingly different alignments.

3 have been enemies from the start causing fights (these may have been from thieves and the like and just kept their allegiances.

One I just found in my meeting hall and is a STRAY WAR BONE GOLEM but I am not able to assign it to a dwarf. I can however pasture it. This is the only one with the WAR-thing. It must have been made out of either a dead dwarf or one of my animals since I found it in the meeting hall.

I also have 3 bonegolems sitting in my refuse stockpile. These are not my properties but are listed as "Friendlies" and thus I cannot use them at all.

Is this all intended? are ressurected bone golem personalities random or do they keep some parts of what they are made of?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2073 on: February 17, 2014, 01:15:48 pm »

Intended. They keep their alliance. Its made to keep liches balanced. If you handle them incorrectly, they will raise undeads that attack you. If you handle liches correctly, they will breed you an army.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: February 17, 2014, 01:37:08 pm »

Awsome. Good thing I now have friendly guards in my refuse stockpile because it is now full of troglodyte corpses :D

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: February 19, 2014, 07:44:33 am »

I was feeling bored, so I decided to try making some exploding ammunition at the Chemist. However, my Urist-sense tells me that any attempt to use them will result in much !!FUN!! coming my way. A few questions to confirm whether or not they could be used with a reasonable expectation of everyone dying:

-How big is the explosion? If placed in the right spot, how many units can a single shot kill?
-How bad is the resulting combustion likely to be?
-Given that marksdwarves are pretty bad at distinguishing between combat and training ammo, is restricting the dynamite to combat only going to stop them from training if I make more?

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: February 19, 2014, 12:24:13 pm »

Would it be possible to get the basic stats for the Inventor's forge armors in the manual somewhere?  I have no idea if it's worth it or not to use metal bars inventing and copying indestructible armor and Asgardian armor, as I have no idea what is special about them, or how much cover they provide.
You can find the various armor stats in Masterwork here:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Armor

I believe it is still current.  Any changes would likely just be in the Size and Permit values.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: February 19, 2014, 02:00:15 pm »

For something very strange and flavored, it's still necessary to look it up individually in the raws.  But in the last couple of releases, Masterwork has much of this sort of thing in the new directory, Quickquides. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Borshch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: February 19, 2014, 02:33:13 pm »

Hi,guys,i have a question.How does the magic system work?I trained my firemage in altar,but now he is more like a pet,doing nothing and i cannot run the "Continue in school of Fire Magic" reaction though i have all the reagents.Help would be more than nice.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: February 19, 2014, 02:37:12 pm »

training takes 3 month
then he will be available again for further service

as written in the manual and in the dwarfs description

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: February 19, 2014, 08:52:38 pm »

I've been reading about steel oaks being refined into bars through a timber-yard, though that workshop has been replaced with the saw-mill. So how do i refine these logs into steel now?

Also, can boulder crabs ever lay eggs? Cause mine don't seem to.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:57:36 pm by Steforian »

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: February 19, 2014, 10:32:08 pm »

I've been reading about steel oaks being refined into bars through a timber-yard, though that workshop has been replaced with the saw-mill. So how do i refine these logs into steel now?

Also, can boulder crabs ever lay eggs? Cause mine don't seem to.
This happens at the Herbalist's Laboratory.
As far as the crabs, I'm not sure. Do you have a breeding pair?

Borshch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: February 20, 2014, 03:54:48 am »

training takes 3 month
then he will be available again for further service

as written in the manual and in the dwarfs description
The problem is,i got the transformation message and he got transformed into firemage adept,went out the altar and he just stands there doing nothing.And i still can`t run the firemage lvl2 reaction.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2083 on: February 20, 2014, 06:46:04 am »

Like he said, it takes 3 months.

Borshch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: February 20, 2014, 10:41:01 am »

So after 3 months he`ll become a member of my civilisation again?
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 165