Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201610 times)

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2025 on: February 11, 2014, 10:25:51 am »

So I started playing MWDF to ease the wait for the new release.
I started a game with all the enemy races and one of the FD races (minotaur). I play an open door challenge. No doors and no drawbridges. So naturally I want alot of sieges.
The problem is I have only had 2. Both times by the minotaur guys and with no losses in full malee combat.

I have a fully mature 7 or 8 year old fortress with 200 or so dwarfs, 30 legendary military and producing adamantine stuff for alot of worth. Shouldnt I have been sieged by goblins, orc and whatever by now? I have had a bunch of goblin ambushes but the only orc or automatons I have seen have been thieves and snatchers.

They all showed up as neighbors at the embark but could they be extinct or recuced somehow? I guess what I'm asking is if I should just abandon and start a new fort or if I should wait longer? this is way too easy and rather boring.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: February 11, 2014, 01:34:44 pm »

build an embassy, and declare war repeatedly on all other races (it does not technically declare war but it causes ambushes/sieges)
;) This should get you visitors. Best way to do it is by building the embassy right next to the coin stockpile to reduce hauling time between the declarations of war If you do that for 2 seasons and nothing happens, then your game is probably screwed ^^

Rimbinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: February 11, 2014, 02:03:45 pm »

I am using masterwork tile set and It seems I can't start shade thorn tree farms (I do have seeds). Where they removed or do I do something wrong? I remember making one of those in some other older version.
Does anyone know the item values (density/yields) for bloody ingots made melting bloody armok stuff ? Is it better then steel or even mithril ?

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: February 11, 2014, 02:14:41 pm »

build an embassy, and declare war repeatedly on all other races (it does not technically declare war but it causes ambushes/sieges)
;) This should get you visitors. Best way to do it is by building the embassy right next to the coin stockpile to reduce hauling time between the declarations of war If you do that for 2 seasons and nothing happens, then your game is probably screwed ^^
Speaking of coins, my fort's new mayor has banned coin exporting. Can anyone confirm for me whether or not using a trade workshop will violate the ban?
I am using masterwork tile set and It seems I can't start shade thorn tree farms (I do have seeds). Where they removed or do I do something wrong? I remember making one of those in some other older version.
Does anyone know the item values (density/yields) for bloody ingots made melting bloody armok stuff ? Is it better then steel or even mithril ?
I don't think Armok gear can be melted, and even if it could, it'd probably revert to steel or something, seeing as it's ostensibly good only because it's been blessed (or at least, that's what would make sense to me), e.g. smelting it would destroy or invalidate the blessing. As far as how good it is, I think it's roughly on par with volcanic and bifrost, and certainly better than everything else, although candy is still the top dog for non-blunt weapons.

As far as the shade thorn thing, have you breached the cavern they're native to? I don't think you can farm cavern 2/3 plants unless you've breached. I guess it's different for cavern one because it's just more familiar to dwarves or something?
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: February 11, 2014, 03:17:43 pm »

Thanks for the answer! New question: The guide says that I should wartrain my familiar but there is no such option for my Basilisk. What am I missing?

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: February 11, 2014, 03:42:08 pm »

the raws are missing the proper tag for basilisks
If you find the basilisk in the raws you can add the [TRAINABLE]. Or hope it gets fixed in SWP soon.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2031 on: February 11, 2014, 03:50:06 pm »

the raws are missing the proper tag for basilisks
If you find the basilisk in the raws you can add the [TRAINABLE]. Or hope it gets fixed in SWP soon.
are there any others that are missing the tag?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2032 on: February 11, 2014, 03:58:48 pm »

I am still reading everything and noting it down. I will certainly do at least one more update before I leave, but I am short on time atm. But from friday on it should get better.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rimbinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: February 11, 2014, 05:51:40 pm »

As far as the shade thorn thing, have you breached the cavern they're native to? I don't think you can farm cavern 2/3 plants unless you've breached. I guess it's different for cavern one because it's just more familiar to dwarves or something?
Yes I breached these caverns and obtained spores using Herbalist laboratory. I have no problems planting cavern 2 trees, but the strange thing is that even though I have plenty of spores I don.t get the option to plant shade thorns/nether caps in farms (any other cavern 3 plants are farmable). Could anyone confirm of any success of farming shade thorns at all?

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: February 12, 2014, 07:14:03 am »

Is oricalcum good for armor / weapons?

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: February 12, 2014, 08:58:30 am »

Is oricalcum good for armor / weapons?

It's value is in the high level magic system and sacrifices. Also i think it's used in high tier buildings? It would be a waste for armor or weapons since it would take thousands of smelt jobs to get enough bars. Just use mithril plated in steel with runes engraved or poisoned mithril weapons. Wolfamite is good for blunt.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2036 on: February 12, 2014, 09:41:35 am »

But its still a very good material, between mithril and adamantine.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: February 12, 2014, 11:17:30 am »

lol, fun question: Can a bunch of hammerlords actually kill a giant elephant? after 50 pages of reports without managing to kill it I sent in a speardwarf.

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: February 12, 2014, 11:53:01 am »

lol, fun question: Can a bunch of hammerlords actually kill a giant elephant? after 50 pages of reports without managing to kill it I sent in a speardwarf.

Found another giant elephant! Yes they can. Takes a LONG time though :D

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: February 12, 2014, 12:18:07 pm »

I'm new to this masterwork mod. I've been able to figure most of it out myself, but weapon crafting is not explained anywhere. So i made 5 bone sword blades(i think that's what they are called) and 5 bone hilts, but i don't know what workshop to craft them into weapons is. How do i turn them into a weapon?
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 165