Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201532 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1950 on: January 26, 2014, 11:20:28 am »

It's to say that if I survive long enough that I can give the caravans millions in profit, it's probably because I'm safe and well-established, so there isn't much left to do goal-wise except "get bigger/more efficient" which isn't much of a goal for me. This applies mostly to vanilla; there's still plenty for me to learn in Masterwork, which is why my current forts are just huge rooms of haphazard workshops (because I don't want to go through the trouble of trying to design themed areas that I end up having to redesign later).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1951 on: January 26, 2014, 04:49:37 pm »

It's to say that if I survive long enough that I can give the caravans millions in profit, it's probably because I'm safe and well-established, so there isn't much left to do goal-wise except "get bigger/more efficient" which isn't much of a goal for me. This applies mostly to vanilla; there's still plenty for me to learn in Masterwork, which is why my current forts are just huge rooms of haphazard workshops (because I don't want to go through the trouble of trying to design themed areas that I end up having to redesign later).
Hope you will have fun with the other races, if you feel bored with dwarves.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: January 26, 2014, 06:35:27 pm »

So should i play under the assumption that the Disease mod is active? I have very little idea of what to expect, or how to combat the Diseases. What about other options? Like the Secret !FUN! or animal invaders...

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: January 26, 2014, 06:47:56 pm »

So should i play under the assumption that the Disease mod is active? I have very little idea of what to expect, or how to combat the Diseases. What about other options? Like the Secret !FUN! or animal invaders...

It depends on how you want to play. In terms of diseases I find they still wipe out my forts after I know all the masterwork systems.  I'd say to learn the mod play with them off at first.  You'll have enough of a time learning the new systems without worrying about schizophrenic plaguebearing dwarves immigrating.  Diseases have to be prepared for in advance with a seperate burrow for new immigrants and massive medicine stockpiles.

If you have questions about what Secret Fun or animal invaders are definitely look through the manual.  Look through the whole manual.  Masterwork makes many of the tedious parts of vanilla much better but also adds new challenges.  It's very well rounded and fun to play, but can be tough if you don't take the time to look at all the new workshops.  You'll kick yourself later if you don't for example read up on the ore processor, trade system, religious system(for secret Fun), or the research system.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: January 26, 2014, 07:20:51 pm »

How can I get to the military screen? Just had a bunch of flying nightmares show up with my first migrant wave and when i hit 'm' to try and get to the alerts I am instead getting a 'Dwarf Preferences' screen.  Its happened before and I've fixed it by waiting a few weeks in game and trying again but waiting at this point will likely be the end of my fortress.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1955 on: January 26, 2014, 07:27:36 pm »

Your Alt key is stuck. press alt once to unstick it. ^^ (it got stuck when you alt-tabbed out of the game, and now it thinks you press alt-m all the time)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: January 26, 2014, 07:29:15 pm »

Thanks for the fast response Meph.

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: January 27, 2014, 12:34:33 am »

What's the best way to find a mithril or better sword in Adventure mode?

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: January 27, 2014, 02:40:25 am »

What is the main use of the Wrestler guild? It seems like the other military ones are always a better choice.  In forts with too much gold I've been turning all of my haulers into wrestlers but I'm not entirely sure its making them haul better :)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: January 27, 2014, 02:50:37 am »

What is the main use of the Wrestler guild? It seems like the other military ones are always a better choice.  In forts with too much gold I've been turning all of my haulers into wrestlers but I'm not entirely sure its making them haul better :)

My guess would be they make excellent skirmishers/durable meatshields, able to tie the enemy up/slow them down while more heavily armored and slower soldiers dispatch them.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: January 27, 2014, 06:16:28 am »

What is the main use of the Wrestler guild? It seems like the other military ones are always a better choice.  In forts with too much gold I've been turning all of The haulers into wrestlers but I'm not entirely sure its making them haul better :)

In the above ground challenge my dwarf is a legendary wrestler with a great knuckle duster. With training my strength is massive and agility is something like 7600. Pretty much a blur in fights that punches the heads off everything.  They definitely get very fast and are first into the fight. If you invest in armor and training they will knock a whole ambush unconscious quickly and keep them down until your mop up swords squad arrives.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: January 27, 2014, 10:13:26 am »

In my current fort I set a legionnaire and another guy up to train out of the first migrant wave.  They had no weapons or armor.  By late fall, a 20 strong dark strangler siege came and those two wrestlers, not even guilded as such, destroyed the strabglers to man.  With a broken foot from training before hand.  Wrestlers have uses.

I lost two to warlocks ambushes, but my war drakes did a great job on the 'locks.  I am looking forward to setting up new wrestler squads with lamellar armor to go after future ambushes while I train a proper militia.

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: January 27, 2014, 12:53:47 pm »

they can get to like 5000+ agility.  they are insanely fast.  guards and legionaires get to like 2200.

a knocked down/stunned fully trained wrestler is still faster than most things they fight

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: January 27, 2014, 01:02:52 pm »

they can get to like 5000+ agility.  they are insanely fast.  guards and legionaires get to like 2200.

a knocked down/stunned fully trained wrestler is still faster than most things they fight

Damn, I've only ever used legionaries unless other castes showed up as migrants. Guess I'll need to make sure any of my skirmishers are wrestlers from now on!

Ruan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: January 27, 2014, 01:47:24 pm »

I had the opposite way teach me what wrestlers are good for:  I was focusing on making one dwarf godly strong.  I had a Rockmage in full steel plate + mail that had used a megabeast's soul to get up to fighting capability.  Unfortunately, I was focusing on him to the point that I hadn't bothered with any other military.

I made the mistake of giving him a maul - turns out that while they're great at crushing, they're not so good at killing.  An orc siege came up, and I sent him out to deal with them.    The orcs were mounted on spiders.  The enemies couldn't get through his armor... but then the spiders started wrestling him and slowly started breaking his elbow, then his knee...

All the armor in the world isn't going to help you when your joints start going the wrong way.

Then I reloaded the game and gave him a halberd instead of a maul.  He is terrifying now...

I started training some wrestlers after that.  My Duke has a Thing for knuckle dusters anyway, so I might as well get use out of them.

Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 165