Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201442 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1635 on: December 28, 2013, 10:56:50 pm »

Same tileset. Ironhand. I just tried changing it, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Doesn't matter now, this fort has fallen. I'm going to do a re-install and gen a new world.
I compared the files, the nether-cap sapling entry is literally the same.

Out of curiosity: How did the fort fall? It must have been a bigger one, if you dug into the third cavern already.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: December 29, 2013, 07:55:41 pm »

A legendary +5 lich just migrated to my fort in the first migration wave.  Uh, how do I use this guy effectively?  Or should I just crush him under a drawbridge?

Can I just make him a military dwarf until I can make magic weapons and just rely on his "can't die" ability to hold off goblin armies or is he legit dangerous?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 09:01:15 pm by Verviticus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1637 on: December 29, 2013, 09:02:14 pm »

edit: a legendary +5 lich just migrated to my fort in the first migration wave.  Uh, how do I use this guy effectively?  Or should I just crush him under a drawbridge?
You should be careful which corpses and bodyparts you let him near. Bring him dead pets and civ members, that will help your fort a lot. He also makes a good bookkeeper, you can just wall him in. He shouldnt eat, drink or age.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: December 29, 2013, 09:12:21 pm »

Is he just going to raise an army of whatever dead things he gets near?  I wouldn't mind actually turning him into a murdermachine (looking at other stuff in his bio I don't think he's a vampire or some other subversive) if he's not going to turn on me and kill my fort.

I don't really want to waste a superhero of his talents (hes actually level 26 lich/weapon user/thrower/archer) as a bookkeeper, haha

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1639 on: December 29, 2013, 09:26:43 pm »

Then use him. ;)

The undead he raises keep their alliance... civ-members are friendly, pets are tame, wildlife is wild, invaders hostile... so if he kills the enemy army, and then raises hostile undeads... thats for you to solve. :P

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: December 29, 2013, 09:30:36 pm »

Would anyone mind explaining more concretely the difference between Armory/Weaponry upgraded items and items of a more useful material? In other words, In other words, is Urist McAxedwarf better off using a ☼Mithril Greataxe☼ over a =Legendary Steel Greataxe=, and, if so, by how much? Are upgrades more important than quality or material, or are they incomparable?
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: December 29, 2013, 09:36:06 pm »

Then use him. ;)

The undead he raises keep their alliance... civ-members are friendly, pets are tame, wildlife is wild, invaders hostile... so if he kills the enemy army, and then raises hostile undeads... thats for you to solve. :P

Does that mean I could put him in a pit with a bunch of goblin corpses, lock it up and they'd have a ForeverBrawl or am I misreading it?  Or are they at least friendly to him?

Because that might be more entertaining.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1642 on: December 29, 2013, 09:53:34 pm »

Would anyone mind explaining more concretely the difference between Armory/Weaponry upgraded items and items of a more useful material? In other words, In other words, is Urist McAxedwarf better off using a ☼Mithril Greataxe☼ over a =Legendary Steel Greataxe=, and, if so, by how much? Are upgrades more important than quality or material, or are they incomparable?
They can be combined. A ☼Mithril Greataxe☼ might became a ☼Legendary Mithril Greataxe☼, if the skill is high enough. The upgrades are actually new weapons, with different stats, the legendary ones have very fancy combat logs as well. A =Legendary Mithril Greataxe= is certainly better then a ☼Mithril Greataxe☼. Its difficult to be precise with this, but since the updated weapons also have a quality, you might get both boni.

Does that mean I could put him in a pit with a bunch of goblin corpses, lock it up and they'd have a ForeverBrawl or am I misreading it?  Or are they at least friendly to him?
Yeah, that might happen. He actually transforms the resurrected creature into a bone golem, so in theory it should only work once per creature. Bone golems have natural weapons attached (sharpened bones at the end of the arms), which makes them quite fearsome.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: December 29, 2013, 10:05:57 pm »

But, if I can't have both, which should be highest priority? After all, seeing as currently there isn't a "Upgrade <insert metal name> <insert weapon name>" reaction, the only way to really choose what gets done is by forbidding everything but what gets the upgrade.

Also, corpse reagents don't generate miasma; did you classify them as tools instead of refuse just to make it so that the purple gunk isn't generated? I'm not saying that was a bad decision, though, it would be much more realistic if you didn't get "Nako FitzAim-for-ya-throat's hand/head/torso/foot" AND "mutilated goblin corpse" for the same kill.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1644 on: December 29, 2013, 10:08:29 pm »

The itemscorpses will be gone next update.

But, if I can't have both
Read me post again. You can have both.

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: December 29, 2013, 11:56:36 pm »

They can be combined. A ☼Mithril Greataxe☼ might became a ☼Legendary Mithril Greataxe☼, if the skill is high enough. The upgrades are actually new weapons, with different stats, the legendary ones have very fancy combat logs as well. A =Legendary Mithril Greataxe= is certainly better then a ☼Mithril Greataxe☼. Its difficult to be precise with this, but since the updated weapons also have a quality, you might get both boni.

Yeah, that might happen. He actually transforms the resurrected creature into a bone golem, so in theory it should only work once per creature. Bone golems have natural weapons attached (sharpened bones at the end of the arms), which makes them quite fearsome.

Im curious - if a Lich always involves raising enemies as much stronger, scarier, and hostile enemies - other than training the Best Damn Bookkeeper, how would you go about using it strategically?  Can I control what corpses he raises by forbidding corpses on death and unforbidding them when he's around or...?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1646 on: December 30, 2013, 12:17:05 am »

How about only allowing him access to pet/civ-member corpses, but keeping the others away?  ;) They wont attack him, but the rest of your fort. This means: If you control your lich right, he is a valueable resource. If you control him badly, he will usurp your fort by killing your dwarves with his bone golems.

You can also make him his own little fort, and let all the invaders through there. The undead invaders attack pretty much everything, but the lich. At least thats how its designed. (recent tests with warlocks and undeads show weird stuff), so you could funnel ambushes and invaders into him.

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: December 30, 2013, 12:22:37 am »

Yeah, that makes sense.  Lets hope for the best!

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: December 30, 2013, 01:16:09 am »

I think he's about to starve to death.  Oh well!

Yup.  Perhaps something got screwed up in the latest build?  I'm using the studded with patches version, for what its worth.  I'll post it to the bugs thread too.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 01:22:00 am by Verviticus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1649 on: December 30, 2013, 01:53:55 am »

Mh... curiously enough, the lich has this entry: [NOFEAR]-NO_EAT-[NO_DRINK][NO_SLEEP]. I commented the NO_EAT out. On purpose. There must have been some kind of bug with not-eating-castes, because otherwise I wouldnt have done so.   :-[
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 165