Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201465 times)

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1620 on: December 28, 2013, 10:54:45 am »

How do you guys design your fortress entrance when you use the "wagons forced spawn point" trick?

Let me explain:

This is a new fort, this is the outside I designed:

So, on the left edge of this image I will build a walled, airlocked corridor leading to the edge of the map (using bridges for the last 5-10 tiles) which will force wagons to spawn there and proceed to my fortress unharmed.

All the other creatures will be force to come from the top right ramps, go through Marksdwarf fire coming from the right wall (behind fortifications) and then use the "omg bbq traps" entrance.

All good.

Problem is - I am afraid of thieves and ambushers - hell perhaps even sieges - spawning in those 3 tiles on the edge which are included in the wagon corridor. If I connect the corridor to the "omg wtf" entrance, I risk sieges taking the shortcut, so to say. I'd really love a solution which gives me the least necessary bridge/gate management.

Ideas?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: December 28, 2013, 11:33:10 am »

Have some cats (or masterwork equivalent) chained either in the corridor or on floors one z-level above the corridor. That would help spot ambushers and thieves, though would probably require frequent replacement even from thieves or snatchers. Note that if chaining inside the corridor, I think you'll need one on each "wall" of the corridor in order to maximize spotting. AFAIK something is always spotted if its immediately adjacent to a friendly, but if you chain something up in the middle you run the risk that the stealther will slide along one wall while the spotter just happened to be ambling around on the opposite wall. I can't remember if only dwarves or all creatures now have various stats that would improve their ability to spot sneaking things, to the extent that something could be good enough at it that they can be on an upper floor and spot with high accuracy.

I don't think there's anything you can do to prevent sieges from spawning in the corridor. In that respect you should ensure that the corridor is also a ready killing field as it would be for your other entrance, and simply hope that invaders will more often spawn at all your other borders.

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: December 28, 2013, 11:51:29 am »

I think that the solution I am adopting is having the trade corridor go trough the end piece of my "omg wtf" entrance - the barracks, where all melee soldiers train. It will be more than enough for ambushers.

As for spotting - I already have a solution for that. At the beginning of the trap corridor there will be a channeled tile with a pet inside and a grate over it.

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: December 28, 2013, 12:25:49 pm »

Okay, I have pipes, tobacco, and a brazier.  Why can't I start the smoke pipe reaction?

In fact, all of the possible reactions in my brazier are red.  I can't start a fire, for example, even though I have plenty of logs. 

What am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 12:51:20 pm by Mr. Svinlesha »

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: December 28, 2013, 03:14:29 pm »

What does it take to farm Nether cap? I have the spores from splitting it down into nether leather. Almost 100 seeds. But I can't seem to plant them anywhere. It's not an option for above ground, underground, or even on a farm plot placed in the third cavern. Same with crystal trees.

Using Masterwork 4f. Also, no seeds in bins. No bins allowed in my fort for anything. 
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: December 28, 2013, 04:46:16 pm »

megahelmet:

This might be a stupid question, but do you have a sawmill?  Sawmills are necessary for tree growing.

DerImpresario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: December 28, 2013, 05:15:52 pm »

Apologies if this issue has already been asked/answered elsewhere, search did not pull it up.

With regard to the Farmers & Shepherds embark profile, the manual lists the following:

1 Axe, 1 Pick, 50 Drinks, 25 Food, 50 seeds.

However, in the embark_profiles.txt under that very same profile, it lists the following:

[ITEM:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK:INORGANIC:COPPER]
[ITEM:15:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:BUSH_QUARRY:SEED]
[ITEM:12:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_CUP_DIMPLE:SEED]
[ITEM:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_WOOD:INORGANIC:COPPER]
[ITEM:13:MEAT:NONE:INORGANIC:MUSCLE]
[ITEM:15:WOOD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:ROUGH:WOOD]

Is it possible that some other embark profile accidentally got splattered on this one?

EDIT:
Also, it lists 5 Birds, 2 Cats, 2 Cows, 2 Goats, 2 Sheeps for a total of 13 animals, but the actual animal list is 20, as it includes two each of tusk oxen, moleweasels, boulder crabs, leatherwing bats, dew beetles, badgerdogs, cavernkeets, cragtooth boars, woolly goats and horned cave turtles.

EDIT 2:
Further research indicates that none of the manual's listed builds is accurate to the embark profiles.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 05:48:56 pm by DerImpresario »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1627 on: December 28, 2013, 06:02:56 pm »

DerImpresario: The lists in the manual for embark profiles are 1,5 years old.  :-[ (First time someone reported the differences though)

megahelmet: You need to be in the right biome, but if nethercaps grow on your map, that should be a given... I dont know. They should be in the farm menu on any underground farm.

Svinlesha: Check your burrows and the "known bugs section" in the manual about the burrows bug. Thats my best guess.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DerImpresario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: December 28, 2013, 06:19:25 pm »

DerImpresario: The lists in the manual for embark profiles are 1,5 years old.  :-[ (First time someone reported the differences though)

Hm. So which is more in need of adjustment, the manual or the embark profiles? I could try adjusting the profiles if the manual is still the original intent.

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: December 28, 2013, 06:21:11 pm »

Thanks Meph, you were exactly right.  it was a burrow bug.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: December 28, 2013, 06:55:16 pm »

Okay, I have pipes, tobacco, and a brazier.  Why can't I start the smoke pipe reaction?

In fact, all of the possible reactions in my brazier are red.  I can't start a fire, for example, even though I have plenty of logs. 

What am I doing wrong?

Although this appears to be solved, also keep in mind stockpile feeding to workshops causes a similar problem. If feeding a workshop, all materials for a given reaction need to be fed (whether from the same stockpile or multiple ones all feeding to the same workshop).

I feel like, if there is any FAQ about bugs to troubleshoot unavailable reactions despite all materials being present, burrows and stockpile feeding would be at the top of the list (followed shortly by "materials in container in barrel/bin").

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1631 on: December 28, 2013, 07:03:46 pm »

Hm. So which is more in need of adjustment, the manual or the embark profiles? I could try adjusting the profiles if the manual is still the original intent.
You cant make the embarks like in the manual, because too many items, materials and creatures changed. You would have to fit the text in the manual to the embark. ^^

Niveras: Yeah, I noticed that too... but what can I do more? Its already in the manual, as a bug with a solution/workaround.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: December 28, 2013, 07:52:28 pm »

Yeah. I have 9 sawmills in fact. And I am getting acorns. I have acorns/spawns for all tree types. However, I can't seem to plant any of the underground ones. Not glass, crystal, or netherwood. Ironwood and stealoak are just fine. I have massive plots dedicated to those.

It was working fine in the last release. I tried comparing raws between versions but I couldn't come up with an answer. Joyous wild warm tropical 1x1 embark.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1633 on: December 28, 2013, 08:11:33 pm »

Yeah. I have 9 sawmills in fact. And I am getting acorns. I have acorns/spawns for all tree types. However, I can't seem to plant any of the underground ones. Not glass, crystal, or netherwood. Ironwood and stealoak are just fine. I have massive plots dedicated to those.

It was working fine in the last release. I tried comparing raws between versions but I couldn't come up with an answer. Joyous wild warm tropical 1x1 embark.
Which tileset? Plants are always tileset dependant. And did you use the same tileset in the last version, which, as you said, worked fine?

If there is a bug, I can probably find and fix it, but you have to tell me where. ;)

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: December 28, 2013, 09:40:19 pm »

Same tileset. Ironhand. I just tried changing it, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Doesn't matter now, this fort has fallen. I'm going to do a re-install and gen a new world.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 165