Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201343 times)

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1530 on: December 17, 2013, 11:22:01 pm »

So in summary:

Only queue one reaction at a time, though you can have multiple dwarves assigned to go do it.  Just wait for the first to change before triggering the next.

Multiple Guildhalls are fine.

Stats are randomly rerolled, not the skill levels, so he may become stronger and slower.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: December 17, 2013, 11:37:30 pm »

So in summary:

Only queue one reaction at a time, though you can have multiple dwarves assigned to go do it.  Just wait for the first to change before triggering the next.

Multiple Guildhalls are fine.

Stats are randomly rerolled, not the skill levels, so he may become stronger and slower.

Thanks for the quick summary.  I learn something every day haha.  I just figured since he was having quite a bit of trouble with guilds I'd get as much down as I could.  I don't know why I confused the skill levels and stats for rerolling.  I guess it matters mostly for military garrison guild joining in terms of strenght or speed then.  I didn't realize you could have more than one dwarf running the reaction at a time.  So if a dwarf is in the guild and is in the process of joining the guild it won't be affected by a new reaction dust cloud?

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: December 18, 2013, 06:03:58 am »

So if a dwarf is in the guild and is in the process of joining the guild it won't be affected by a new reaction dust cloud?

That's been my experience and I always go with two at a time.  Maybe this will start a discussion of which skills are most important, and why.
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: December 18, 2013, 07:54:52 am »

As far as I remember reading about DFHack - starting from r4 (as in recent Studded With Patches releases) the "knowledge" clouds should not be generated at all. The system is supposed to delete the boiling pseudo-rock with symptoms before a single time tick passes and it has a chance to boil and apply the associated syndromes directly without need to inhale.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: December 18, 2013, 08:05:49 am »

As far as I remember reading about DFHack - starting from r4 (as in recent Studded With Patches releases) the "knowledge" clouds should not be generated at all. The system is supposed to delete the boiling pseudo-rock with symptoms before a single time tick passes and it has a chance to boil and apply the associated syndromes directly without need to inhale.

That is great to hear. Do you think that this will apply to animal armoring or training as well?  I remember reading that you could pasture a lot of animals and run one reaction to apply it to them all.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1535 on: December 18, 2013, 09:55:30 am »

The stables and animal training use a script called fovcommand, it allows the dwarven worker to affect all in his fov, the field of view. So again, no clouds. (sometimes I add harmless clouds to have the reaction produce something at all, because without product the worker wont get XP. This means you sometimes see a cloud, but it doesnt do anything but give the reaction a product)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: December 18, 2013, 03:05:24 pm »

Is it normal that you can't process tetrahedrite bearing rock in the ore processer?
Because I can't.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: December 18, 2013, 03:16:12 pm »

deactivate simple metals, the launcher has the settings swapped.... tetrahedrite shouldnt be in the game

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: December 19, 2013, 05:36:36 am »

deactivate simple metals, the launcher has the settings swapped.... tetrahedrite shouldnt be in the game

Hi there, I'm some guy from the Internet tracking masterwork bugs. Should tetrahedrite be removed entirely, or should we be adding reactions to allow it to be processed? I have in my notes that new minerals are automatically smeltable when they're added, but if smelting them produces oodles of slag, then obviously we want them to be accessible via the ore processor.

So my current understanding is we either need to fix non-simple minerals to have ore processor reactions, or we need to remove non-simple minerals entirely.

~ T

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: December 19, 2013, 06:33:20 am »

I would vote for removing nonsimple metals entirely. There is no benefit in them imho, and it is not like we would lack variety with all that new stuff the mod offers

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: December 20, 2013, 03:46:27 am »

A couple of quick questions from a beginner, if it's okay:

1) One of my dwarves has acquired the title "Dwarf Miner Giant".  Her mining skill is still only at novice level, I don't see anything else special about her at all.... what gives?

2) I seem to have brought an airmancer with me in my original 7.  How can I best make use of this fortunate turn in affairs?

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: December 20, 2013, 04:08:07 am »

A couple of quick questions from a beginner, if it's okay:

1) One of my dwarves has acquired the title "Dwarf Miner Giant".  Her mining skill is still only at novice level, I don't see anything else special about her at all.... what gives?

2) I seem to have brought an airmancer with me in my original 7.  How can I best make use of this fortunate turn in affairs?

Welcome!  Always good to have more people enjoying the mod.

1) The giant is actually a reference to a mutation that was recently introduced.  Dwarves can have gigantism, dwarfism, and a few other things.  That dwarf would make a good soldier if you put them in a military caste through the military garrison.  I remember there was mention of using different weapons differently too.  Something like a giant dwarf could use foreign tools normally too big for dwarves.  Maybe someone else can fill this in a bit more.

2)Head down the magic line of buildings.  Get 10 platinum and work at creating an air mage stave and some ammo.  Then throw that dwarf in a ranged squad.  You'll then have a good ranged fighter that will web your enemies and suffocate enemies.  Maybe look into getting the dwarf a paralyzing shreaking griffon.  Also I personally will desensitize my magic users so they don't throw tantrums casting terrible spells around.  I'll just drop excess moleweasles 20 stories into their training rooms so they witness so much death they "really don't care about anything anymore."  A bit cruel, but the last thing you need a level 3 fire mage throwing a tantrum in your great hall some day.

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: December 20, 2013, 04:55:44 am »

Great, thx!!

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: December 20, 2013, 08:20:14 am »

Sorry if this is somewhere in FAQ or this question can be easily found on wiki, but how the hell I put candle on desired place ? I spend ten minutes searching trought build menu, I guess I have to use smart stopckpile strategy or how ?

Please help.

EDIT: nevermind partialy found out.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:05:35 pm by Sebastian2203 »

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: December 20, 2013, 04:10:13 pm »

Is the dfhack autobutcher gui plugin by robertintherich included in this masterwork version?

If so, do you have any suggestion as to how I might restore those plugin files?  I just downloaded and installed it as per instructions for the vanilla version, and it doesn't seem to be working.  I get it up the first two lines, but no list of creatures.

I've tried manually adding in the creatures I want to watch -- in particular, moleweasels and leatherwing bats -- but the dfhack autobutcher doesn't recognize the race (is it moleweasel_DDD?  that's all I can find in the raws).*

Thx again, in advance, for the help, anyone!  :)

*Aha! Capitalization is your friend.  I entered MOLEWEASEL_DDD 0 0 2 5 and got the return message:
MOLEWEASEL 5 2 0 0
Race not found: 0

Does that mean it's working?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 04:19:27 pm by Mr. Svinlesha »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 165