Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201320 times)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1515 on: December 16, 2013, 06:17:04 pm »

Gamerlord: I was going to point out that later versions have a new subdirectory, Quick-Guides, with the HTML files on weapons giving details.  Marksman training at the Garrison is for “all ranged weapons” while giving better eyesight.  Then I thought, wait, he wanted an answer from Meph …   :)
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: December 16, 2013, 07:40:38 pm »

Could someone post a list of what research topics produce what discoveries? It's really annoying to have to guess, not for the reagents, but just because devoting the time to research makes me want to build the resulting shop/furnace, even if it isn't what I wanted.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

khanjackalmoreau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: December 16, 2013, 07:44:59 pm »

Hello!  I'm newly back to DF and decided to try out Masterwork.

I've been playing with it for about 2 weeks, and I have most of it kinda figured out.

I have 2 questions.

When I started this fortress, I toggled every invader switch off so I could learn in peace.  Even if I turn them back on, they won't start invading due to their absence during world-gen, right?

Secondly, I can't seem to figure out the guildhall.  I have plenty of coins from the mint, but all the options at the guildhall are redded out.

Can one of you walk me through how you use the guildhall to put specific dwarves into specific guilds?

I love this mod, thanks for all the great work!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: December 16, 2013, 07:50:28 pm »

1. Yes, they won't start invading.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: December 16, 2013, 07:54:07 pm »

2. before people start screaming burrows.. some buildings don't like their stockpiles far away, my vault is generally behind the guildhall.

obvious questions. they're gold coins right? not in barrels or bins ?, and near the shop in question?

walkthrough: mint gold coins. store coins in stockpile with no bins, near the guild hall. Open the manager window on the guildhall to restrict access to the dwarf you desire to become what your about to pay for it to become. Run reaction. Dwarf runs up emits smoke enjoy popup telling you the dwarf joined a guild and is in training for a little while.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:06:16 pm by Fairin »

khanjackalmoreau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: December 16, 2013, 07:58:22 pm »

Yes, sovereigns.

Can the coins be stockpiled?  They are about 40 squares apart, I can move the guildhall to within 6 squares of the mint if that will help.

I was able to process one "join guild" action, making a farmer a member of the mining guild by accident, and since then nothing.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: December 16, 2013, 08:04:40 pm »

Yes, sovereigns.

Can the coins be stockpiled?  They are about 40 squares apart, I can move the guildhall to within 6 squares of the mint if that will help.

I was able to process one "join guild" action, making a farmer a member of the mining guild by accident, and since then nothing.

40 squares doesn't sound bad.  Just make sure the coins are not in bins. Delete the old stockpile and make a new stockpile with coins but no bins allowed.  For some reason they can't find the reaction to use the coins if they are in bins.

khanjackalmoreau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: December 16, 2013, 08:14:13 pm »

They're actually still in the mint.  I just put them all in a stockpile with no bins.  No luck.

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: December 16, 2013, 08:15:35 pm »

Could someone post a list of what research topics produce what discoveries? It's really annoying to have to guess, not for the reagents, but just because devoting the time to research makes me want to build the resulting shop/furnace, even if it isn't what I wanted.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Researcher%27s_study

khanjackalmoreau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: December 16, 2013, 11:50:23 pm »

I have the Guildhall built directly under my dining room.  Is it possible that too many idle dwarves one Z level above is confusing it?

I will go test that.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: December 17, 2013, 01:12:02 am »

In the manual, click the link that says Researcher's_Study_Reactions.txt.  This works for almost every buidling in the manual.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: December 17, 2013, 01:17:30 am »

I just built the Gemforge, and have cranked out about 10 Gem Great Axes.  I want to give one to a dwarf in my fort (Meph in Umgankor, self promotion for the win!).  But I've run into a problem.  As soon as the Great Axes are finished, some random dwarf comes and claims it and carries it around.  None of these dwarves are in the militia.  Any thoughts?

While typing this I thought "Maybe Lumberjacks are taking them."  But then I realized my Ambassador, who does not have lumberjack enabled, took the very first damn Gem Great Axe.  None of them have made it to the stockpile, as normal weapons/armor not in use by militia dwarves do.  Is there something about the weapons made in new workshops that I am missing?

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: December 17, 2013, 02:18:49 am »

They're actually still in the mint.  I just put them all in a stockpile with no bins.  No luck.

Hmm that is strange.  Are you using burrows at all?  Could be an issue with the guildhall and coins being in different burrows.  I'd also look at the setting for the guildhall and stockpile in terms of "giving to workshop" or "taking from stockpile" or whatever else there is for options there.  Could be that the guildhall is only accepting from linked stockpiles right now.  In the guildhall is the option for "leave a guild" white or red?  I figure that one should be white no matter what if it's not bugged somehow since it doesn't require coins. 

Now I'm not sure about this one at all since I build my guildhall in a room that is 1x1 larger than the guild but it could be there is no entrance to the guildhall? Just like how with kitchens you can accidentally lock them off since part of the building is impassable.  Like I said I have no idea if it's like this with the guildhall since I always put mine in larger rooms.  Try expanding the room your guildhall is in to see if that helps.

khanjackalmoreau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: December 17, 2013, 08:48:23 pm »

I rebuilt the guildhall close to the mint and it started allowing Dwarves to join up.

However I have a new problem. I disallowed all of my dwarves save my 4 metalworking dwarves, and set up a "Join Smith's Guild" action.

The dwarves will go, pick up the coins, and go do the action.  It will display the message "A dwarf has joined a guild".  But they don't actually join.

After my 5th try, a dwarf turned into an apprentice dwarf and joined for real.  Nobody else has since.

None of the 4 were part of a guild to begin with.

Is there a chance, based on some stat, that the "join guild" action won't work? 

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: December 17, 2013, 10:57:42 pm »

I rebuilt the guildhall close to the mint and it started allowing Dwarves to join up.

However I have a new problem. I disallowed all of my dwarves save my 4 metalworking dwarves, and set up a "Join Smith's Guild" action.

The dwarves will go, pick up the coins, and go do the action.  It will display the message "A dwarf has joined a guild".  But they don't actually join.

After my 5th try, a dwarf turned into an apprentice dwarf and joined for real.  Nobody else has since.

None of the 4 were part of a guild to begin with.

Is there a chance, based on some stat, that the "join guild" action won't work?

You have to remember that a lot of things in Masterwork are actually scripts running through DFhack.  You need to do one dwarf at a time.  Only one dwarf allowed to "use" the guild and wait for him to become a "dwarf joining a guild" AND turn back into a normal dwarf in a guild.  That's the safest way to do it.  It sounds like you let four dwarves have access and queued up four "join guild" jobs.  Every dwarf that went overwrote the previous reaction just costing you money.  Never use repeat on these reactions or queue up jobs.  I'm guessing your fifth attempt was with one dwarf and thats why it worked.  You just have to be patient with guilds.  It's not meant to be something where you assign all 200 dwarfs to guilds eventually.  It simulates sending a dwarf to specialty training in a skill for several months to become better.  Not every dwarf can go to college.

Now I'm not sure if you can have multiple guild halls and let dwarves use each one to be faster or not.  When the reaction takes place you'll notice a burst cloud of dust.  The combat log will sometimes say "caught in a searing cloud of knowledge" haha.  So if you have a dwarf on the guild hall already running the reaction, then another dwarf uses the guildhall causing another burst of knowledge it will screw things up.  It could be possible to have multiple guild halls so that dwarves don't get caught up in multiple bursts of knowledge.  Maybe experiment with that.

Also remember that the reaction does actually randomly change your dwarf.  Injured dwarfs will magically grow back limbs.  It's a limitation of DFhack scripts.  This also means that their skills will be randomized.  So if you have a high master smith and have him join the smiths guild he might randomly drop down to "dabbling" in that skill.  In that case it would be best just to let one be out of the guild and continue training.  I usually use guilds on lower skilled workers so they will level up faster to catch up with my original legendary 7. You could also rush to get it early on so you don't have to worry too much about randomization.

I see also you're minting gold coins.  This is one good way to do it.  You can also use the trading system.  If you get trade licenses you can build the trader workshops.  At these you can sell things for coins.  I like to sell feather wood logs in good embarks for silver coins.  You can then use the tavern workshop to convert lower value copper and silver coins into gold coins.

So overall just don't use repeat for reactions like the guildhall.  Repeat works for things like the tavern because the script is run instantly.  But guilds are a long script with a timer before the reaction is done and DFhack just does not like this happening.  The same applies for the military garrison and the monastery.  Your patience will be rewarded with powerful legion soldiers, grand master smiths, and unbelievably powerful wizards if you take your time and explore each path.  Masterwork has so much content you can play for hundreds of hours only to find you never scratched the surface of an entire branch of the mod.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:03:12 pm by kamikazi1231 »
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 165