Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201213 times)

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1380 on: November 13, 2013, 05:25:07 am »

When you assign a key to z-up, roll the mouse wheel in the desired direction.  Then do the opposite for the other direction.

For zoom I hold down control and roll the mouse wheel to control the zoom.

I forget who did it, but one of the LNP videos has it all.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: November 13, 2013, 07:37:23 am »

Does anyone have any experience tree farming?  It seems whenever I do it I don't get very much and can't sustain it.  Do we get more seeds for the trees by using the sawmill or just the herbalist workstation?  Or do the seeds come when the plant is harvested from the farm plot?  Trying to figure out if it's necessary for me to do "only farmers harvest" in order to get the highest yield. Also should I have it set to plant in each season or only in one season?  I'm not sure if farmers clear any ungrown crops every season that passes by or not.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: November 13, 2013, 11:17:59 am »

Tree farming can be extremely successful.

I will dedicate a plot to farming each type of tree that I want. After the initial rush to get the steeloaks and ironbarks planted in the first spring, I'll set them to only plant in Autumn / Winter. That way my farmers aren't delaying planting surface crops in Spring / Summer. But let the farmer plant all of the initial crops first in order to further increase their level.  That way the planted acorn is more likely to produce multiple saplings, thereby generating more seeds after processing.

The sawmill generates the seeds (beyond the generic wood ones) and I've never had a problem with the tree farm output increasing when starting with only a limited number of acorns. Usually only 4 is what I start with.  Unless I am in a tree scarce area, I don't bring normal tree acorns and will get them from creating the smooth wood at the chopping block or sawmill. There is only a 10% chance that a seed will be generated per sapling.

In my last fort, I had a few hundred steeloak saplings waiting to be processed, but no need to do so since I had a 100+ steel bars laying around already.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:25:28 am by Billy Jack »
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

RandomName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: November 13, 2013, 04:15:51 pm »

What does the "philosoper" noble do?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1384 on: November 13, 2013, 06:03:04 pm »

What does the "philosoper" noble do?
Absolutely nothing. Its the same noble as the vanilla DF Philosopher in the 20D version, which is quite old. I simply enabled it back in.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MightyPaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: November 13, 2013, 07:20:08 pm »

you mean he doesn't coalesce the vapors of dwarfy experience into a viable and logical comprehension?  :D
in times of peace nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blasts of war ring in your ears, then imitate the actions of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: November 13, 2013, 07:20:18 pm »

20D? How many futures are you from?

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: November 13, 2013, 09:30:55 pm »

So I got a migrant that was cursed to be a geomancer.  DfHack identified him as a necromancer but therapist is showing geomancer.  No caste at all.  I have other mage castes like a wavekin in my fort.  Is this dwarf dangerous to me?  He hasn't done any of the "inspects the refuse stockpile" or anything I'd expect from a secret fun.  No random undead rising either.  Looked in the manual and it looks like Stonemancer is supposed to be the tier 2 Earth mage.  If this geomancer is actually one of those I certainly want to keep him around.

Thank you for the info Billy Jack.  I will definitely do some tree farming in my next fort.

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: November 14, 2013, 01:15:25 am »

Just keep close an Armok ward, in the refuse stockpile-meeting area. If he feels the necro-itchiness, the ward will slap him.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: November 14, 2013, 04:16:36 am »

So I got a migrant that was cursed to be a geomancer.  DfHack identified him as a necromancer but therapist is showing geomancer.  No caste at all.  I have other mage castes like a wavekin in my fort.  Is this dwarf dangerous to me?  He hasn't done any of the "inspects the refuse stockpile" or anything I'd expect from a secret fun.  No random undead rising either.  Looked in the manual and it looks like Stonemancer is supposed to be the tier 2 Earth mage.  If this geomancer is actually one of those I certainly want to keep him around.

Thank you for the info Billy Jack.  I will definitely do some tree farming in my next fort.

And I have one dwarf that shows the caste of "farmdwarf", has "geomancer" in his name and is also secretly a vampire. I strongly suspect that he is really "(farmdwarf dwarf) vampire" and pretends to be geomancer as part of his fake identity, but I am only sure about the vampire part.

Do vampire curses apply to dwarves in special castes? Firemancer vampire, anyone? How can stuff like geomancer interact with curses/possessions?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1390 on: November 14, 2013, 08:31:28 am »

A firemancer geomancer vampire is perfectly possible. Its a dwarf who was cursed, then found a geomancing slab in worldgen, then migrated to your fort and became a firemancer. Or was born as one. It would be super rare though, but probably quite badass.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: November 14, 2013, 10:32:39 am »

badass till the vampire part. For sure I never gonna accept lose a daily dorf for feed him, no matter what powerful he is. Unless, I am now ignorant if today in MW, they can drink bloodwine or drink blood flasks or whatever.

All my vampires works in the Magma Chamber.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: November 14, 2013, 11:55:31 am »

Hmm yea I think I might just have to put him in the magma cleansing chamber.  While I've never had a geomancer show up the fact that DFhack says he's a necromancer troubles me.  I already have the plague running through my entire fort and have no idea how to counter it.  Last thing I need is some hidden necro suddenly raising the body of the first dwarf that succumbs to the plague.  The whole military is in bed with fever so that would be a fort killer.  My geomancer does have the plague though so that leads me to believe at least he's not a vampire.

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: November 14, 2013, 12:10:35 pm »

Oh cool is not a vampire, but is he the plague host... and no way to cure him... ( you already tried pray to Armok for a cure?)

Purge it with Magma.

RandomName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: November 14, 2013, 12:24:28 pm »

How can I persuade my "lifemancer" to resurrect my soldiers? I put him in a squad and stationed him near the corpses, but he isn't doing anything (though the corpses might be too old).

He once resurrected a fallen caravan guard all on his own, which was nice as the guard became part of my fort, but I'd like to be able to take advantage of his skills properly.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 165