Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201174 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1275 on: October 29, 2013, 08:11:49 am »

Never on repeat, the script does not run if set on repeat.
Once a season should be fine. Just see if they are hunry or not.
Yes, you make a pasture.
No seeds, but they haycrate has a 66% chance of being preserved. You can use it multiple times.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mr. Orange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: October 29, 2013, 08:15:59 am »

So in terms of assign and forget, it's better to puncture the first cavern early on and have a large internal grazing spot?

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: October 29, 2013, 09:32:09 am »

Never on repeat, the script does not run if set on repeat.
Once a season should be fine. Just see if they are hunry or not.
Yes, you make a pasture.
No seeds, but they haycrate has a 66% chance of being preserved. You can use it multiple times.

Thats the reason I don´t even try to get grazers, even the stables helps a lot about the grazing underground livestock, I find it not of my tastes checking all the time about grazing manually, and I have a chance to lose all my seeds (66% to keep the create is pretty cool).

Even with the possibility to store a lot of seed from my booze and cooking, in some point you don´t go cooking or do more booze (I use workflow management as a lot of people), but when my first try of use the stable I get disappointed when I lose all my seeds (because I was assuming than make hay give you seeds).

If someone knows how to create a "timer" like way to feed grazers without getting risk to lose all your seeds. Share with us please.

The only way I can think right now is using tons of science:

1. take time when the grazers needs food.
2. Create a complicated timing system by using computing.  http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Mechanical_logic
3. The computer is linked to a closed room with "Feed Grazers with Hay" on repeat. (No one can enter because the computer keeps the door closed)
4. The door will be opened when the grazers are hungry, because the computer has the timing in memory.
5. The computer will have a unkeep till the doors get closed again and the cycles continues.

This is the theory, but in practice have a lot of posible issues, like:

The science involved here, is overwhelming, just try to create a computer by reading the Wiki article, creating logical circuits.

If you are not careful for all possible thing than could make this system fails because of the variables like:
 -If you have a lot of grazer pastures, your workers should do this task in the time the doors are open, if they don´t the grazers will   starve to death.

-The workers can be hindered to haul the hay in some cases like, tantrums, a mob than sneak inside the fortress, sleeping, parties, eating, resting time, your worker is a lazy bum, your worker feels like a jackass and he don´t want to work in that moment.

And other possible fun you can get in those moments, make this option like a bit unpractical.

RandomName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: October 29, 2013, 12:21:08 pm »

So, I have a "Lifemancer" (migrant) and an "Enlightened Altar". The manual says this:

(Normal Dwarf =>Arcane Dwarf => *-Kin => *-Mancer => *-Mage)

Does that mean my "Lifemancer" can be upgraded to an even better healer (a "LifeMage")? The altar only gives me the options "Witchhunter", "Cleric Healer" and "Arcane Protector", none of which fits with what the manual says.

Edit:
Can I make a regular dwarf a "Cleric Healer" directly or I do I first need to make him an "Arcane" dwarf?

Edit2:

Read more in the manual, apparently "lifemancers" shouldn't exist as white/black magic doesn't have levels like elemental magic. So what is my "lifemancer"? The description ingame basically calls her a healer who can resurrect dwarves.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 12:38:09 pm by RandomName »

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: October 29, 2013, 12:22:24 pm »

The science involved here, is overwhelming, just try to create a computer by reading the Wiki article, creating logical circuits.

Someone (I forgot who :( ) figured out a very simple way to open the door every season:
Get a werecreature and station it on a pressure plate. When they transform they became trapavoid for 3 days, which will let the plate reset, and boom you have a signal every month. You can use this signal to create a logic circuit that moves one step every month, and resets to ground state every 3rd month. Now you have a system that opens the door every season, install a pressure plate that closes the door upon the first dwarf entering the stable, and the only thing you need to figure out is how to let this dwarf out. I'll let you come up with a solution for that, okay? :)

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: October 29, 2013, 01:12:21 pm »

Good idea, never even think about it, because I normally atomsmash werecreatures :p

You already use this method for "automate" stable grazing?

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: October 29, 2013, 06:01:35 pm »

I'm building some stuff in the scriptorium (to build some combat library of some sort).

I have a few jobs that are blue, but when I go to build them, I never see a dwarf actively working on them.

I have 8 scribes.

Any ideas?

I'm wondering if my multiple burrows have anything to do with it (but... these are not "red" entries in the workshop, as in, I CAN select them and choose to pursue their construction).

Basically, they are not getting built, and no my scriptorium is not cluttered, and I do have a quantum goods stockpile.

Update:
appears a dwarf is running items to the scriptorium.  Such as paper (library supplies) and jugs with tsk's next to them when I view the building using the t command...  but nothing is being produced, nor do I see a task next to the item to be researched

Checking inventory screen, I have 3 books in tools...

the problem was I was seeing old jobs queued that were not researchable because I didn't have supplies.  They weren't cancelling out of the workshop in other words when I didn't have supplies
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 12:41:49 am by thistleknot »

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: October 30, 2013, 07:35:40 am »

Did you have workflow on? That will do that.

RandomName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: October 30, 2013, 12:33:33 pm »

What does "Make a warpstone experiment (FB)" in the Warpstone Pool do? I could just click on it and see, but....

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1284 on: October 30, 2013, 02:07:22 pm »

it makes FBs. tame ones.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: October 30, 2013, 02:39:59 pm »

What Meph said. :D

RandomName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: October 30, 2013, 02:50:41 pm »

it makes FBs. tame ones.

Ok, thanks.

I'm still confused about the "lifemancer" I got as a migrant (asked about it a bit further up on page 86), could you explain it? He doesn't seem to fit with the explanation of white magic in the manual.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: October 30, 2013, 02:55:07 pm »

Is it just me or simple minerals seem to reduce the absolute number of ores that appear in a given area? My evidence is mostly anecdotal at the moment, but I've been getting this feeling for a while now.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

serriffe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: October 31, 2013, 02:30:39 am »

What exactly are witch hunters supposed to do? I have a child who was born a witch hunter, and now he's just standing around outside raising the dead siege mounts, which in turn is scaring everyone and making post-siege cleanup nigh impossible. Is this the intended effect of the "corpse explosion" ability?

As a related side note - I have yet to have a positive experience with arcane dwarfs save crushing them to nothingness.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1289 on: October 31, 2013, 07:12:11 am »

Witch Hunters should destroy all the corpses they see, among other things... they animate them into a instantly dying creature that leaves no corpse. That might scare civilians nearby.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 165