Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201207 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1245 on: October 23, 2013, 11:14:17 pm »

That's vanilla; it's called cave adaptation. In fact, the fact that the game keeps track of cave adaptation is the only reason that would be moddable in the first place.

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: October 24, 2013, 12:05:25 am »

The only way they stop vomit from Cave Adaptation is, making your meet area open to the sky or some hallways open to the sky, or donīt let they go outside at all.

Is pretty nasty when they prefer drink vomit than water when your booze are running low...

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: October 24, 2013, 02:37:18 am »

I make a statue garden up top.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: October 24, 2013, 04:56:25 am »

Cave Adaptation takes a while to appear, though. If you only just started it's probably something else. I had a similar issue with a minor syndrome that I contracted, I believe, from a caravan guard. It ran through my fort for about a month and then everyone was immune and generally wasn't a problem anymore except cosmetically for all the vomit everywhere that dwarves don't always clean (or clean promptly) but cleanmap or whatever command in dfhack can handle that.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: October 24, 2013, 05:43:38 am »

Like the others said, probably cave adaption, or one of the MASTERWORK diseases. If the fort is old, and you've kept everyone inside for a while, cave adaption. If it's new, or doesn't seem to be because of the sun, probably a disease, and should run through the fort after a bit.

If it is one of the diseases you'll want to try and figure out who the carrier is if you are going to have more immigrants, unless you don't mind any new dwarves getting sick and painting your floors green for a few months until they are immune like the rest.

The puking disease isn't all that bad really. The last time I ran into one it was year 1, and the disease put all of my dwarves to sleep before I could set up any real defenses. They didn't seem to enjoy waking up to half the fort dead from a few thieves and some wildlife...

Pepsylo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: October 24, 2013, 08:28:50 pm »

Hi again

3 questions this time :

What am i supposed to do with Vanadinite ? I've read in some changelog its reaction moved to the Crucible, however i cant find it :(
What am i missing ?
Anyone ?

Apologies if it's been asked before, but I was wondering about the optimal way to layer armor in Masterwork.  As I understand it, I can wear either chain mail or padded leather under a breastplate, but not both.  Neither can you wear padded leather under your chain mail.

My dwarves keep dumping their equipment all over the fortress, and I'm trying to figure out why.
Yeah i'd really like to know that too, i mean in vanilla i used to do :
Body
 - 1x Breastplate
 - 3x Mailshirt
 - 6x Cloak
Legs
 - 2x Trousers
 - 1x Greaves
Gloves
 - 1x Gauntlet
 - 1x Mittens
Boots
 - 1x Socks
 - 1x High Boots
Head
 - 1x Helm
 - 6x Hood

So what would be the ideal layering in Masterwork considering we want the best objects available of course !

And the last question : i am using 4a, and i cant find the reaction to convert mithril to strands in the craftdwarf... Again am i missing something ? Should i update to 4b and replace reaction files in my savegame ?

Thanks for your help :)

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: October 24, 2013, 10:38:18 pm »

Hi again

3 questions this time :

What am i supposed to do with Vanadinite ? I've read in some changelog its reaction moved to the Crucible, however i cant find it :(
What am i missing ?
Anyone ?
You extract vanadium from it at the Crucible.

But it looks like VANADIUM doesn't have any [ITEMS_XXXX] tokens, so I don't think you can actually use the bars for anything.  I haven't come across it so I don't know.

Apologies if it's been asked before, but I was wondering about the optimal way to layer armor in Masterwork.  As I understand it, I can wear either chain mail or padded leather under a breastplate, but not both.  Neither can you wear padded leather under your chain mail.

My dwarves keep dumping their equipment all over the fortress, and I'm trying to figure out why.
Yeah i'd really like to know that too, i mean in vanilla i used to do :
Body
 - 1x Breastplate
 - 3x Mailshirt
 - 6x Cloak
Legs
 - 2x Trousers
 - 1x Greaves
Gloves
 - 1x Gauntlet
 - 1x Mittens
Boots
 - 1x Socks
 - 1x High Boots
Head
 - 1x Helm
 - 6x Hood

So what would be the ideal layering in Masterwork considering we want the best objects available of course !

And the last question : i am using 4a, and i cant find the reaction to convert mithril to strands in the craftdwarf... Again am i missing something ? Should i update to 4b and replace reaction files in my savegame ?

Thanks for your help :)
Armor layering should allow you to put padded, mail, then armors.  You can still do some "cheating" on the layering though. and some of the mail parts have [ARMORLEVEL:3] and [METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS] so they would result in [ARMORLEVEL:4] (if the game can handle such a thing).

The current layering specs, with [LAYER_PERMIT:49] is:
  Padded [LAYER_SIZE:10]
  Mail [LAYER_SIZE:15]
  Armor [LAYER_SIZE:25] and [SHAPED]
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: October 25, 2013, 08:34:50 pm »

what happened to the rockforge?

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: October 25, 2013, 09:12:00 pm »

You need to research it first.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: October 25, 2013, 09:28:06 pm »

what's it's new name?

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: October 25, 2013, 10:02:35 pm »

Oh, that's what you meant.  The new name is 'Rockforge'.  :P

But, seriously, I'm guessing you can't find it because it moved to the Furnaces menu.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: October 26, 2013, 11:33:05 am »

thx

where do I build abbacus?  I tried searching the raws, and couldn't find any entry for it.

and what happened to war kennels?  The industry changes between versions is very jarring
moved to furnaces as well
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:34:56 am by thistleknot »

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: October 26, 2013, 12:09:56 pm »

thx

where do I build abbacus?  I tried searching the raws, and couldn't find any entry for it.

and what happened to war kennels?  The industry changes between versions is very jarring
moved to furnaces as well

Craftdwarf workshop. Either make crafts to get one randomly or make them individually further down the menu.

hera35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: October 26, 2013, 01:13:22 pm »

The puking could also be because of the workshop adjustments. IIRC the manual mentions that seeing a butcher or tanner do his slaughtery work can cause nausea / vomiting in the nearby dwarves witnessing the act and I also noticed one Oven Operator getting nauseous from burning vermin remains in the Crematory.

If that's the case you could try isolating those workshops by making separate rooms for them or use that one bard song which supposedly makes everyone immune to nausea.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: October 26, 2013, 01:26:58 pm »

this new research concept is quite daunting.  I'm having problems with the researcher's study.  I have anvils, tanned hides, and metal bars, but can't build the "conduct research in the field of forging"

raws
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 165