Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201203 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1230 on: October 20, 2013, 08:54:25 pm »

At the scriptorum, there should be an entry for "write histories" to make a book specifically set up to function like a history engraving.  Books about histories seem like such an obvious thing - You could have whole libraries of just historic documents.

I'm not sure if that's possible. I guess it could be possible to set up a lua script that gives the book a history-based image, but...

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: October 20, 2013, 09:52:20 pm »

@Putnam, but donīt exist out there a lot of story writer code? My irl bro tell me about that long time ago. Obviously, it need a lot of rewriting for fit DF.

The important,is the documentation and the examples.

Just an idea, sorry if sounds dumb.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: October 20, 2013, 10:32:04 pm »

That's not related to the issue at all, but is very relevant to Dwarf Fortress as a whole; one of the stated end goals of the game is to be able to go into an in-game library and read a person's biography.

No, what they're asking for is books that depict events in history, which is completely impossible in raw modding as far as I know.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: October 21, 2013, 06:36:03 am »

I'm not 100% up to date on current mechanics.  But like mentioned do you have a fire mage?  Could the goblin archer have fire arrows or some sort of fire effect?  Possibly the goblin was on fire when he ran in and the blaze spread to the wood?  If I'm correct braziers are used now for starting fires.  Are you decorating with braziers for lighting effects?  I'm not sure if they can be knocked over or not in a fight and start a fire.  Definitely look through the logs.  If you can find that it is a bug that will be very helpful.  Fire starting bugs are always the most bothersome.

As for those surface fires warlocks are a bit OP in some cases but have a tendency to self destruct.  At least last time I played they would usually start a fire upon entering the map, one would burn to death, then another would raise that warlock from the dead, then the undead warlock would murder all its former compatriots.

That makes sense for the surface fires. But the underground stockpile fire was between a goblin archer and 2 dwarven wrestlers. The terrain layer was sand with some wild cave plants.

Pepsylo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: October 22, 2013, 11:42:41 am »

Hey there

What am i supposed to do with Vanadinite ? I've read in some changelog its reaction moved to the Crucible, however i cant find it :(

What am i missing ?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 12:04:41 pm by Pepsylo »

DwarvesAtWork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: October 22, 2013, 12:01:50 pm »

I'm not 100% up to date on current mechanics.  But like mentioned do you have a fire mage?  Could the goblin archer have fire arrows or some sort of fire effect?  Possibly the goblin was on fire when he ran in and the blaze spread to the wood?  If I'm correct braziers are used now for starting fires.  Are you decorating with braziers for lighting effects?  I'm not sure if they can be knocked over or not in a fight and start a fire.  Definitely look through the logs.  If you can find that it is a bug that will be very helpful.  Fire starting bugs are always the most bothersome.

As for those surface fires warlocks are a bit OP in some cases but have a tendency to self destruct.  At least last time I played they would usually start a fire upon entering the map, one would burn to death, then another would raise that warlock from the dead, then the undead warlock would murder all its former compatriots.

That makes sense for the surface fires. But the underground stockpile fire was between a goblin archer and 2 dwarven wrestlers. The terrain layer was sand with some wild cave plants.

Im new to masterwork so its possible im missing something. However, i had no fire mage. And there was no surface fire at the time so I don't think the goblin was on fire. I have not been using braziers. I've since deleted the save. The fire that started burned through my only wood stockpile on a desert biome. So I ended up loading an autosave instead.

How do I disable warlocks on future maps?
Indie Games to check out:
Dwelvers - Dungeon Management game with 3D digging and economic focus
War for the Overworld - Dungeon Keeper 2 spiritual successor
Dwarf Fortress - the ultimate dwarven simulation engine
Isomer - Mine, Build, and Explore as a squad of aliens crash landed on a foreign world

DwarvesAtWork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: October 22, 2013, 12:08:34 pm »

Nevermind that. I see the option to disable warlocks now.

If I enable other civs like Evil Dwarves or Stranglers will that increase the frequency of sieges or just variery?
Indie Games to check out:
Dwelvers - Dungeon Management game with 3D digging and economic focus
War for the Overworld - Dungeon Keeper 2 spiritual successor
Dwarf Fortress - the ultimate dwarven simulation engine
Isomer - Mine, Build, and Explore as a squad of aliens crash landed on a foreign world

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: October 22, 2013, 11:32:31 pm »

how do I sharpen spikes?

I used to recall a trap engineer's workshop

misiekm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: October 23, 2013, 03:49:18 am »

how do I sharpen spikes?

I used to recall a trap engineer's workshop

You can improve traps in the Engineer's Forge now.

Katrinya

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: October 23, 2013, 06:20:28 am »

Apologies if it's been asked before, but I was wondering about the optimal way to layer armor in Masterwork.  As I understand it, I can wear either chain mail or padded leather under a breastplate, but not both.  Neither can you wear padded leather under your chain mail.

My dwarves keep dumping their equipment all over the fortress, and I'm trying to figure out why.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: October 23, 2013, 06:41:58 am »

Apologies if it's been asked before, but I was wondering about the optimal way to layer armor in Masterwork.  As I understand it, I can wear either chain mail or padded leather under a breastplate, but not both.  Neither can you wear padded leather under your chain mail.

My dwarves keep dumping their equipment all over the fortress, and I'm trying to figure out why.

That's basically right, though there may be some bugs hanging around in how the new armors are defined. I think there is some high end "mail" that goes over the top now. That may (haven't tested it personally) mean padded, then shaped (breastplate, greaves, etc.), then the new mail. I usually throw a cloak over it all, lamellar (until I can make woven metal in quantity.) Cloaks are tricky because all the dwarves can grab them. Hard to get them just on your military, but boosts protection for the others too.

Check your game folder for a "Quick Guides" folder. There's an armor guide in that that may help.

Rikbog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: October 23, 2013, 09:14:18 am »

I have a couple questions.

1.  I'm fairly early, but deep enough that my tiny military of three guys can wreck ambushes and hold their own against sieges if I manage to keep the siege from all coming in at once.  Then comes the magic.  My combat log reveals a pile of body parts next to my axedwarf, a pile of broken mangled bodies near my hammerdwarf, and some very perforated bodies near my speardwarf.  Nothing touches these guys except a cloud of acid.  They get that, they move two feet, and they fall over dead.  Is there any defense against this at all, or am I going to have to make a ton of archers and death trap hallways just for them?

2.  One of my guys made a legendary flamethrower of some sort.  Edit:  Found it in the manual.  It's a cannon that uses blowgun/hammer skills.  It looks like it has a ton of shooting force and pretty good max velocity too (though, I imagine max velocity is meaningless if the ammo is a cannonball).  They any good in practical use?  Do exploding cannonballs kill friendlies?

Maybe I'll put it in a weapon trap for the acid guys to stumble into.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyways, thanks.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:40:24 am by Rikbog »

dyllionaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: October 23, 2013, 05:55:21 pm »

I'm playing Masterwork with almost all of the features enabled and for some reason all my Dwarves are puking everywhere... Is there anything I can do to help them?

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: October 23, 2013, 09:40:34 pm »

1.  I'm fairly early, but deep enough that my tiny military of three guys can wreck ambushes and hold their own against sieges if I manage to keep the siege from all coming in at once.  Then comes the magic.  My combat log reveals a pile of body parts next to my axedwarf, a pile of broken mangled bodies near my hammerdwarf, and some very perforated bodies near my speardwarf.  Nothing touches these guys except a cloud of acid.  They get that, they move two feet, and they fall over dead.  Is there any defense against this at all, or am I going to have to make a ton of archers and death trap hallways just for them?

If there is, I've never found it.  I read once long ago that high levels of shield block skill can block things like magic and fire breath, but I haven't done the science to prove it.   

I believe the way most people deal with this is to turn off warlocks (ambushing, invisible spells casters suck) and if you see any FB or Titan with an elemental breath, kill it from range, trap it, or hide from it.

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: October 23, 2013, 11:12:49 pm »

I'm playing Masterwork with almost all of the features enabled and for some reason all my Dwarves are puking everywhere... Is there anything I can do to help them?

read their profiles, if it say "Nauseated by sun" is where you vomit comes from. Probably some disease than meps introduce in the game.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 165