Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201275 times)

hera35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1125 on: October 09, 2013, 03:55:04 pm »

A few questions.

1. In my last two forts (in different worlds) I've had a case of spontaneously rotting dwarves. Most of the victims managed to survive it by having a surgeon remove the rotten tissue but few succumbed to the disease and even the living ones caused a bunch of unhappy thoughts to everyone by spouting miasma everywhere. I think it's not the rotten lung stuff from harder mining since in those cases the miners died in only a few ticks after being exposed to coal dust and in this disease the victims' entire health screens were filled with "minor rot" in multiple body parts, not just the lung and survived for a very long time even without treatment. Plus I think I didn't mine any type of natural coal in those two forts. So, what causes this?

2. After being upgraded to barony I noticed there's a new Philosopher noble that you can appoint, but the manual doesn't mention anything about the position?

3. What type of bolts should I make out of wood and bone? And I assume hammerhead would work best with silver bolts?

4a. Does the used melee skill change when adding bayonets to crossbows or other ranged weapons? F.ex. I accidentally let my marksdwarves level up their hammer skill to great heights by beating ogres with normal wooden xbows. Would they use their sword / spear skills instead if I modified their xbows with bayonets?
4b. Is the bayonet damage modified by the main ranged weapon material or quality in any way? F.ex. would a "-Featherwood crossbow- with iron bayonet" be as deadly in melee as "☼Bronze crossbow☼ with iron bayonet"? Or does only the bayonet's material and quality matter?

5. In vanilla it was completely okay to channel out some land and make outdoor farming plots, then cover them with floors and they would still work properly as "outdoor" farms. Does the new farming in Masterwork change this behavior in any way or can I safely seal off those huge security risks?

6. In what ways are turrets affected by shooting up / down z levels or shooting through fortifications?

Pascale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: October 09, 2013, 04:14:58 pm »

I'll answer what I can, it may or may not be right.
4a. Does the used melee skill change when adding bayonets to crossbows or other ranged weapons? F.ex. I accidentally let my marksdwarves level up their hammer skill to great heights by beating ogres with normal wooden xbows. Would they use their sword / spear skills instead if I modified their xbows with bayonets?
IIRC the skill for bayonets is Knife User.
6. In what ways are turrets affected by shooting up / down z levels or shooting through fortifications?
Should be identical to your marksdwarves.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1127 on: October 09, 2013, 04:26:05 pm »

A few questions.

1. In my last two forts (in different worlds) I've had a case of spontaneously rotting dwarves. Most of the victims managed to survive it by having a surgeon remove the rotten tissue but few succumbed to the disease and even the living ones caused a bunch of unhappy thoughts to everyone by spouting miasma everywhere. I think it's not the rotten lung stuff from harder mining since in those cases the miners died in only a few ticks after being exposed to coal dust and in this disease the victims' entire health screens were filled with "minor rot" in multiple body parts, not just the lung and survived for a very long time even without treatment. Plus I think I didn't mine any type of natural coal in those two forts. So, what causes this?

FBs, maybe a disease (which shows custom combat logs, like "has been falling ill with a horrid disease"), maybe a mummy, maybe some poisonous animal blood... people here cant tell.

2. After being upgraded to barony I noticed there's a new Philosopher noble that you can appoint, but the manual doesn't mention anything about the position?

Philosopher is actually an old vanilla DF noble, a useless noble that walks around all day philosophying. Or however you want to call that. Read it up http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Philosopher on the wiki. Its not in the manual, because its real vanilla DF. Just.. redone. ^^

3. What type of bolts should I make out of wood and bone? And I assume hammerhead would work best with silver bolts?

Normal bolts are fine. The new bolts work like sword, spear, hammer... so it depends on the foe. cutting against normal animals, piercing against big enemies, blunt against armored foes.

4b. Is the bayonet damage modified by the main ranged weapon material or quality in any way? F.ex. would a "-Featherwood crossbow- with iron bayonet" be as deadly in melee as "☼Bronze crossbow☼ with iron bayonet"? Or does only the bayonet's material and quality matter?

The ranged weapon uses the knife OR sword OR spear skill, depending on type. bladed bows use sword, crossbows use dagger, while a bayonetted musket uses the spear skill if I am not wrong. They take on the material of the bayonet, so a wooden crossbow with a adamantine bayonet is as strong as the adamantine.

5. In vanilla it was completely okay to channel out some land and make outdoor farming plots, then cover them with floors and they would still work properly as "outdoor" farms. Does the new farming in Masterwork change this behavior in any way or can I safely seal off those huge security risks?

Nope, that all still works like before. Of course flying mounts of invaders are a problem. Orcs on giant blight bats with a ancient vampire general... ah, that siege broke my fort.

Nope. Well, some shots might be caught by the fortification, as usual.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

hera35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: October 09, 2013, 04:53:49 pm »

Big thanks for replies. Haven't battled any FBs or mummies in those forts yet though I've been hunting a lot from the very start, including a bunch of snakes, grimelings, giant insects and warlocks that seem to leave a trail of purple blood. Also trying to keep an eye on the combat log in the future.

And guess I'll start churning out gold crossbows instead of steel bayonets then. Many of my elite marksdwarves are already expert hammer users and it would be waste to not put that skill to use.

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: October 09, 2013, 05:02:48 pm »

is the magma/water from magma/waterlings pressurized like an aquifer?

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: October 09, 2013, 05:50:25 pm »

If you are coming across Warlocks, that is likely the cause of the rot. It's a rather unpleasant spell.

YuriRuler90

• Bay Watcher
  • We will bury you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: October 09, 2013, 07:09:57 pm »

Quick question: how the hell am I supposed to make a blast furnace or any other high-tech furnaces if they require blueprints? I saw that blueprints are gone with the newer versions. I'm running on V4A.

[BUILD_ITEM:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BLUEPRINT_STEP10:INORGANIC:BLANK_ARCHITECT]
I check my raws, the entry isnt there in 4a. Do you have any idea how that happened?

Stock 4A download still packed.

In my running game it was not commented out. The only thing I can think of is that something for some reason took out the --- and activated it, since every time I tried to build a Blast Furnace (after researching it) it told me I needed a blueprint. Also, I have no idea why it has that random "beast lab" in there.  ???

This is from a backup save of my fortress in its 2nd winter. This was a fresh 4A install (only thing I kept was my SoundSense folder).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: October 09, 2013, 10:05:50 pm »

If you are coming across Warlocks, that is likely the cause of the rot. It's a rather unpleasant spell.

This, specifically "necromancer" warlocks. They don't seem to be proper ones though since all they do is sap strength and cause minor rot on bones and exterior tissues.

Now the ones that know about flesh-boiling acids? Those guys are downright scary, since they sue the same acid attacks as acid turrets, which appear to kill by melting/blistering one's lungs (as I found out from friendly fire involving a turret.)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: October 09, 2013, 10:45:15 pm »

will v.4b include humans and antmen as playable races, or just the bugfixes?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: October 09, 2013, 10:48:41 pm »

QUestion, is corrupted bloodsteel a crazy-causer yet or can I rearm my replacement MC with some corrupted bloodsteel platemail?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1135 on: October 10, 2013, 03:00:45 am »

I think corrupted bloodsteel doesnt work with the current itemsyndrome.

will v.4b include humans and antmen as playable races, or just the bugfixes?
If you want to wait 6 months for 4b, then maybe it will include 2 entire playable races. Its just 500h of work or so.

YuriRuler90: Are you sure that the savegame is from 4a as well? There is nothing in the GUI that toggles these lines of code, and they are commented out in the raws I have here...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Szarrukin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: October 10, 2013, 08:52:56 am »

Where I can make thread/cloth out of fleece? Both loom and farmer's workshop won't accept fleece...

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: October 10, 2013, 09:13:05 am »

Where I can make thread/cloth out of fleece? Both loom and farmer's workshop won't accept fleece...
the tanner accepts the fleece
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

RandomName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: October 10, 2013, 09:19:20 am »

Is there some sort of a list of what different research costs and what it gives you? I'm sure it's in the game files, but I'm not clever enough to understand them.

oceasia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: October 10, 2013, 10:17:01 am »

"Quick question: how the hell am I supposed to make a blast furnace or any other high-tech furnaces if they require blueprints? I saw that blueprints are gone with the newer versions. I'm running on V4A."

Same thing happened to me.  You just overwrote the old DF file with the new patch, right? Because the patches post-blueprints, they don't delete the blueprint raw coding from the old DF file you're using, you'll have to either manually delete them from each building's raws, or just do a fresh install, afaik.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:36:30 am by oceasia »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 165