Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201271 times)

YuriRuler90

• Bay Watcher
  • We will bury you!
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1110 on: October 06, 2013, 11:31:50 am »

Quick question: how the hell am I supposed to make a blast furnace or any other high-tech furnaces if they require blueprints? I saw that blueprints are gone with the newer versions. I'm running on V4A.

[BUILD_ITEM:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BLUEPRINT_STEP10:INORGANIC:BLANK_ARCHITECT]

CuriousCreativity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: October 06, 2013, 11:39:41 am »

In addition, I modify the entity files for the races that are usually very successful, to reduce their number of starting civs to 1 or 2, to leave more room for the civs that have trouble surviving worldgen.

You should solidify this into some !!SCIENCE!!.  I know that getting all of this balanced is an issue.  Do a worldgen with an extended period of history and see if you can get the settings to cause all of the added civs to survive, i.e. balanced. 

I think that kind of data would be a big help for Meph, as in the Playable Race Poll he mentioned some issues getting everything balanced...

JodGap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: October 06, 2013, 02:55:56 pm »

Where are the Large Serrated Discs?

I can not build them anymore from the Manager menu.
I can not find then on the Magma GlassForge

So...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: October 06, 2013, 03:15:39 pm »

They're removed?

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: October 06, 2013, 03:44:04 pm »

The blueprints requirement is a bug, they still ask for those even you toggle the option in the Settings.

I not sure, but the trap components are nerfed, then,I suppose, some components only appear when you investigate some buildings.

Again, I canīt confirm, just assuming by the info in the manual.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: October 06, 2013, 06:35:12 pm »

the same as the old weaker traps button I think.  Haven't figured out what the option is to disable it yet, probably the Engineer option in furnaces.

You can make saw blades, then after you research and build the Engineer's Forge you can upgrade the saw blades to serrated saw blades.
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: October 06, 2013, 06:54:25 pm »

Do guild dwarfs learn other skills slower, or do they just get a bonus to their favored ones?

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: October 06, 2013, 07:14:39 pm »

In addition, I modify the entity files for the races that are usually very successful, to reduce their number of starting civs to 1 or 2, to leave more room for the civs that have trouble surviving worldgen.

You should solidify this into some !!SCIENCE!!.  I know that getting all of this balanced is an issue.  Do a worldgen with an extended period of history and see if you can get the settings to cause all of the added civs to survive, i.e. balanced. 

I think that kind of data would be a big help for Meph, as in the Playable Race Poll he mentioned some issues getting everything balanced...

There's very little point in attempting an extended history. 150 years is about as far as you can go if you're concerned with keeping all the civs alive, certainly if you're using some of the Fortress Defence folks. Even that takes me quite a number of attempts.

Increasing the slots left for the weaker races gives them more chances of survival, but is far from fool-proof in the random rough and tumble  (and general weirdness) of worldgen.

Meph's already aware of the setting as he reduced the Dwarven Legion folks to 1 civ a while ago. Being very grim, they have no problem surviving.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 08:38:07 pm by Arkenor »

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: October 06, 2013, 07:50:55 pm »

Do guild dwarfs learn other skills slower, or do they just get a bonus to their favored ones?

They learn at double the rate. Also, there's no mention of the others raising more slowly so I'd say no. :x

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: October 07, 2013, 04:41:10 am »

The guilds replace the old castes system where'd you have savants that learned a few skills very quickly but they learned everything else very slowly. So I don't think the guilded dwarves (which are handled by DF's caste system but aren't labelled as such in the Masterwork system to avoid confusion) suffer any weakness in that regard.

Annon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: October 07, 2013, 03:44:50 pm »

Question: it seems like the armor created by the Stone Forge is essentially worthless?  From what I can gather from the RAWs, the armor produced has the ROCKTIP template, and none of the stone definitions (except slade, hoo boy would that be interesting...) overwrite the template.  ROCKTIP has a listed shear strength of 15000.  That's less than the strength for skin, so I think that means stone armor is just as bad as being naked?

I wanted a squad of hammerdwarfs smacking gobs around like badasses in obsidian plate mail.  If I mod inorganic_stone_layer.txt for obsidian to include:

Code: [Select]
[SHEAR_YIELD:400000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:700000]

To make it slightly worse than steel, would that make it worthwhile as an armor material?  Do I need to regenerate a new world to do that?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: October 07, 2013, 04:00:04 pm »

Material changes shouldn't require a regen. Note that you have to edit the save's raws for it to take effect in the save.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: October 07, 2013, 04:22:36 pm »

They learn at double the rate. Also, there's no mention of the others raising more slowly so I'd say no. :x

Unless its been changed, its actually 4 times faster, as normal dwarves have a 50% penalty, while guilders have a 200% modifier.

Annon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: October 07, 2013, 07:10:34 pm »

Material changes shouldn't require a regen. Note that you have to edit the save's raws for it to take effect in the save.

Thank you for the answer.  Am I reading the raws right?  Do I need to mod stone to make it useful for armor? 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1124 on: October 09, 2013, 06:18:01 am »

Quick question: how the hell am I supposed to make a blast furnace or any other high-tech furnaces if they require blueprints? I saw that blueprints are gone with the newer versions. I'm running on V4A.

[BUILD_ITEM:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BLUEPRINT_STEP10:INORGANIC:BLANK_ARCHITECT]
I check my raws, the entry isnt there in 4a. Do you have any idea how that happened?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 165