Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201300 times)

AxisKiller

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that could happen?
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1095 on: October 04, 2013, 05:57:37 pm »

Guild hall transformations still seem weird, dwarves who are already in a guild can switch guilds fine (which happens even if I cancel the action, which is mildly annoying), but peasants are rarely if ever transformed into guild dwarves and it's a little bit annoying with a bunch of useless peasants idling around my fort not working. Anyone have a surefire way to get the guild transformations to fire properly?

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: October 04, 2013, 06:45:44 pm »

Derp. Thanks.  I pressed b>e>f and built a finishing forge instead of b>w>f to build the metalsmith.
The crafts you're used to are unchanged.
Craftsdwarf's Workshop> select material> select craft.
Metalsmith's Forge>furniture>material>chain

cainiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: October 04, 2013, 10:40:13 pm »

Guild hall transformations still seem weird, dwarves who are already in a guild can switch guilds fine (which happens even if I cancel the action, which is mildly annoying), but peasants are rarely if ever transformed into guild dwarves and it's a little bit annoying with a bunch of useless peasants idling around my fort not working. Anyone have a surefire way to get the guild transformations to fire properly?
use workshop profiles maybe?

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: October 04, 2013, 11:53:59 pm »

Also don't put the reaction in the guild hall on repeat.  Apparently that's borked right now.

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: October 05, 2013, 02:00:00 am »

Remember, you need a manager noble to access the workshop profiles. Quite a few workshops work on this profile feature to operate properly, chief among them is when you go to sacrifice a dwarf to Armok.... :o

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: October 05, 2013, 03:18:49 am »

Not specifically for dwarves but I figure as the default race it should fit, I don't see a generic thread unless I'm blind right now.

Now some mods are like this some aren't, you're supposed to use the advanced world gen presets the mod maker specifically made to allow all of the pieces in the mod to work. However that seems silly to me in this mod as I don't want a world that is all evil, or all desert, or etc etc etc. Now especially with these new UI settings to allow us to set the worldgen parameters, at least the big ones and apply them to most templates, can I just use the large region gen and get a regular world and still have everything in the mod work?

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: October 05, 2013, 03:55:45 am »

Not specifically for dwarves but I figure as the default race it should fit, I don't see a generic thread unless I'm blind right now.

Now some mods are like this some aren't, you're supposed to use the advanced world gen presets the mod maker specifically made to allow all of the pieces in the mod to work. However that seems silly to me in this mod as I don't want a world that is all evil, or all desert, or etc etc etc. Now especially with these new UI settings to allow us to set the worldgen parameters, at least the big ones and apply them to most templates, can I just use the large region gen and get a regular world and still have everything in the mod work?

Yes.
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: October 05, 2013, 04:00:44 am »

Yes.

This is delicious.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: October 05, 2013, 04:44:17 am »

Did something change about the manager labor? My manager has 0 skill, and all requested jobs in j->m screen are instantly sent to workshops.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: October 05, 2013, 05:36:14 am »

Yes.

This is delicious.

Last I checked, the starting civ number was generally 40 to make room for all the additional races masterwork is able to add.

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: October 05, 2013, 08:29:42 am »

In case it's any use, this is the Worldgen I use. It does a decent job of giving me a balanced world with plenty of megabeasts and secrets.:

Code: [Select]
[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:ARKWORLD]
[DIM:129:129]
[EMBARK_POINTS:1324]
[END_YEAR:150]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:100:65]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
[ELEVATION:1:400:800:800]
[RAINFALL:0:100:400:400]
[TEMPERATURE:25:75:800:800]
[DRAINAGE:0:100:600:600]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:800:800]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:800:800]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:2:2:2:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:2:2]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:2]
[MINERAL_SCARCITY:100]
[MEGABEAST_CAP:90]
[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:140]
[TITAN_NUMBER:40]
[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:250000]
[DEMON_NUMBER:60]
[NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:0]
[BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:0]
[VAMPIRE_NUMBER:80]
[WEREBEAST_NUMBER:80]
[SECRET_NUMBER:150]
[REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER:30]
[DISTURBANCE_INTERACTION_NUMBER:60]
[EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER:14]
[EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER:14]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:25:251:50]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:25:251:50]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:18]
[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:1]
[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[VOLCANO_MIN:10]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:260:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:260:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:1040:6:3]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:2080:5:2]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:2080:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:2080:3:3]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:2080:4:3]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
[RIVER_MINS:100:100]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:5000]
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:20]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:10]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:5]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:5]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:5]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:100]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:120]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:1]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:60]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:20000]
[SITE_CAP:1100]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:2080:4160:2080]
[RAIN_RANGES:2080:4160:2080]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:2080:4160:2080]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:2080:4160:2080]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:2080:4160:2080]

In addition, I modify the entity files for the races that are usually very successful, to reduce their number of starting civs to 1 or 2, to leave more room for the civs that have trouble surviving worldgen.

AxisKiller

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that could happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: October 05, 2013, 01:09:53 pm »

Workshop profiles do work, except the peasant selected will, 90% of the time, simply go to the guild and run the reaction, but not transform. This fortress' supply of gold is rather limited and it seems like a waste to blow it trying to find a solution if someone here has a better one. It's also not on repeat, I know not to repeat a lot of MDF's reactions.

sharix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: October 05, 2013, 07:21:27 pm »

I am using V2.f (mac version).
Two questions:
Can brewers use clay pots or just barrels?
Why is no job assigned at the furniture workshop ever completed?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: October 05, 2013, 07:43:53 pm »

What building uses "clay loam" and "silty clay loam"? I could only make bricks in the Brick Oven from them.

I have Brick Oven, Kiln, Pottery and Clay Oven and some fuel. All reactions are red.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: October 06, 2013, 01:06:37 am »

Did something change about the manager labor? My manager has 0 skill, and all requested jobs in j->m screen are instantly sent to workshops.
It depends on your population.  I forget the trigger number (10 or 20).  Once your population hits that number, then the manager will have to actually approve the orders.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 165