Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201299 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1080 on: October 02, 2013, 05:48:15 am »

Code: [Select]
[INTERACTION:FAMILIAR_EARTH]
[I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION]
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
[IT_REQUIRES:SUPERNATURAL]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[SYNDROME]
[glow=red,2,300][SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:CHANGELING:ALL][/glow]
  [CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:0]
          [CE:CREATURE:EARTH_FAMILIAR:MALE]
[CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:200:0:AGILITY:200:0:TOUGHNESS:200:0:START:0]
[CE_ADD_TAG:NO_AGING:STERILE:START:0]

It does target changelings. Its just the creature standard, I changed it once, not on each tileset. Its just the description though, nothing that would break anything. Zach123b, did you have an Earth Mage lvl2 or 3?

RickRollYou2: Possibly, but it would break all the reactions that use them. The biologist, the temple sacrifices, the taking of chitin, bags of loot and bifrost I currently use. DF is forcing me to use items for corpses, its super silly.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: October 02, 2013, 11:12:11 am »

Thank you.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: October 02, 2013, 01:09:53 pm »

Would someone mine explaining material quality for weapons and armor?  I honestly can't tell the difference between steel and bloodsteel and corrupted bloodsteel and mithril and fakebone and wood and orchilium and gem/crystal and wolfram and padded leather and normal leather and bronze and gold (which apparently is a weapons-grade metal in this mod???).  The guide is kinda vague; "this metal is heavy.  So is this one.  This one is sharp.  This one is also sharp.  This is a good metal, so is this one and this one and this one.  Also you can make everything out of bone or wood or gems.  Also this one is hard to find.  Also this one is a good metal."

Just...if someone could simply list in descending order the quality of materials for each Slash/Piercing Weapons, Blunt Weapons, and Armor, I would be all kinds of grateful.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: October 02, 2013, 02:04:03 pm »

Sounds like something that could be added to the manual. :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1084 on: October 02, 2013, 02:09:38 pm »

you mean like those, which are included in the manual?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They are not 100% up to date, a few newer materials are missing, but it should help.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: October 02, 2013, 05:48:46 pm »

therapist has the dwarf as "Earth 3 F"
reading description in game states earth level 3 as well, first time for a mage over level 1 for me
it doesn't bother me, just curious as i haven't gotten any familiars before
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: October 02, 2013, 06:03:36 pm »

The basic issue with that list you posted Meph is that it's in raw form and not at all clear what it all means. It's not like one can take a single aspect and say "hey that's what makes the best armor!" well, outside of what makes a good club...

A case in point brought up recently was mithril vs pattern mithril for armor

It's clear that pattern mithril is a positive increase in the magnitude of its impact/compressive/shear values but that includes elasticity*, a value best kept lower. What effect does this have on that breastplate, does the improved yield value of pattern make up for the worse elasticity it exhibits? Does the game even care about Fracture and Elasticity when the game doesn't track damage to equipment? What the heck do all those numbers mean anyway?!!!!

*Elasticity refers to STRAIN_AT_YIELD; what happens to the material when its Yield strength is exceeded. ;)

As the wiki says,
Keep in mind with how unbelievably complicated this system is nothing should be taken as word of law yet.

It's all so effing confusing looking at those unsortable tables, when all most people want is
Copper < Iron < Steel <=> Bloodsteel < Volcanic in terms of what's best to make that elf chopper out of. :)

Oh and in case anyone is curious, bloodsteel is steel dressed up with non toxic evil flavoring, the two perform identically.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1087 on: October 02, 2013, 06:10:10 pm »

Well, its the same problem for me, I cant say X is better then Y is better then Z, there are so many variables and uses...

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: October 02, 2013, 10:15:20 pm »

You could swap the STRAIN_AT_YIELD values between pattern mithril and normal mithril so pattern is across the board better.

Might also want to make volcanic's elasticity even lower than pattern mithril's modified score is you are at it. Candy and bifrost have 0 for their values, just for reference.

Also, did you really intend for frill lizards to be as slow as a horned cave turtles? Lot of good they are at vermin hunting. :)

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: October 03, 2013, 08:22:50 pm »

I have a few general sort of questions about the development of MWDF.

I was just wondering, do you have some kind of final goal for the development? Is there some point where you will declare it finished at cease work on it?  Or is it an ongoing hobby sort of thing for you, where you add new content as ideas come to you?

Also, with the update to Vanilla DF looming large on the horizon, do you know what the future of Masterwork DF is? I've been playing MWDF since the first version, and it'll be a shame to see it go. It's been tremendous fun to watch the mod grow and change with time.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: October 03, 2013, 08:26:23 pm »

1. Does it look like there's a final goal? ;) I'd give that a no.
2. This next version isn't that big a change. It only changes some personality values--which don't need to be adjusted--adds prepare and recover times to attacks--which have defaults--and adds gaits, which will need to be added to every creature in the game. However, there are creature variations for that. Trees also need to be completely overhauled, and VALUEs need to be added to entities.

blazing glory

« Reply #1091 on: October 04, 2013, 03:34:34 am »

Kurik Amudnil made the fix, and yes, is included.

The difference in the attacks is not much, its just for more interesting combat logs in fort mode. I have to see if I can come up with something for adventure mode, to make them less obnoxious.

or make the interface a bit longer so it's not, sidstp ad atck

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: October 04, 2013, 10:25:46 am »

In terms of Metal, the MWDF wiki has a great page for this that I get a lot of use out of.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Metal

It describes the metals in terms of how good it is for blunt weapons, sharp weapons, and armor.  It's not totally complete but it gets almost all the job done.   The descriptions are pretty much in order of poor < fine < good < very good < excellent < Superior < Best.

It won't answer the question of 'these two metals are both listed as excellent, which is better?' but honestly I think the answer to that is 'The difference is so small it doesn't really matter.'

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: October 04, 2013, 03:43:58 pm »

I just updated to V4 and I'm confused. Where do I make crafts and chains now? At the finishing forge I can only coldforge metals, and then only weapons and armor.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: October 04, 2013, 04:18:58 pm »

The crafts you're used to are unchanged.
Craftsdwarf's Workshop> select material> select craft.
Metalsmith's Forge>furniture>material>chain
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 165