Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201307 times)

VoidedWarranty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1050 on: September 28, 2013, 03:57:45 pm »

Probably really stupid question, but how can I get started making my workshops in kobold mode? I cannot make half of them (including kiln, required to get clay) without blocks, but I cannot bring them or mine rock to make them, and as I said to get clay you need a kiln which needs blocks. Most likely being an idiot, but cannot figure it out. Also, less important, all of the embark presettings seem to have half the items missing without an error message, especially animals. Anyone know why/how to fix?
EDIT: Realized I posted this in the wrong place, sorry.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 04:01:19 pm by VoidedWarranty »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1051 on: September 28, 2013, 04:24:49 pm »

bone blocks are the answer :) Leather upholstery also makes leather blocks if I am not wrong.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

VoidedWarranty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: September 28, 2013, 04:34:11 pm »

Thanks!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: September 28, 2013, 08:06:27 pm »

I was thinking about changing the tileset to Mayday, but I'm a little apprehensive about doing it with this mod. 

Would adding in that tileset flub up the game in any severely detrimental way?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: September 28, 2013, 10:47:50 pm »

Is the Appraisal skill or something supposed to increase the value of goods in trading screen?

I have some items worth 9000 bucks when viewing them, and 19000 when trading. I don't recall seeing something like that in vanilla. My broker has raw level 44 in Appraisal.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: September 29, 2013, 12:09:54 am »

then exclude (library goods) and (books) masterpiece.  If there's no stockpile, then they will stay where they are.

Make a stockpile to move them out of the scriptorium that only accepts items from its links, of which it is only linked to the scriptorium.  Once a dwarf picks it up to go study, it will stay in that study hall (I forgot their names).

Also link it to your archeologist and the Storage thing-a-ma-jig.

That could work :)

What is "(library goods) page" used for, anyway? I have over 1600 of them from somewhere.
I'm no expert on the library system, but it looks like those are produced when you study a book. They should be stored in a textbook.

Check your Scriptorium and run the Store a full notebook (to clean up) reaction to get rid of them.  If they are not stored in a textbook (due to dumping) then you should be able to do an autodump-destroy on them (I think that's the DFHack command.)  At least you'll still have your textbooks ready for the next reaction that needs them. :)

I don't see any other reaction that uses them, so they are meant to be destroyed.

Hmm the Store reaction appears red, and the reagents are:
  • B-containing (library goods) notebook
  • Page

I hope id doesn't want me to make 1600 notebooks to destroy the pages  ???

Turns out that the "Store a full notebook" actually destroys notebooks  ???

The plot thickens. Turns out Notebooks are actually storage devices that contain pages or something  :o

I have no idea what's going on.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: September 29, 2013, 12:34:47 am »

Is the Appraisal skill or something supposed to increase the value of goods in trading screen?

I have some items worth 9000 bucks when viewing them, and 19000 when trading. I don't recall seeing something like that in vanilla. My broker has raw level 44 in Appraisal.

base value and trade value seem to be different, and of course if it's something already valuable that the traders asked for, that'll bost its value to the merchants even more.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: September 29, 2013, 12:40:45 am »

At the Embassy, what does calling a Tradefair do?

Do the Orcs and Goblins have anything worth trading for?

Calling a tradefair calls dwarven, gnomish, human, elven and drowish caravans and liasons all at the same time. Be warned, it can take more than a year to deal with all the liasons if your Exp. Leader is the busy type.

Goblins don't carry much. They carry basic supplies like food and booze, as well as rusty iron equipment. Orcs are better, but not really better than the standard allied races. Still, if you have a crucible and plenty of flux, refining that rusty iron and steel can be a profitable enterprise.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Gilith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: September 29, 2013, 06:50:19 am »

Is there any use for vanadium? Manual mentions it's used to improve steel, but grepping through raws didn't reveal anything other than transmutation and smelting reactions

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1059 on: September 29, 2013, 06:57:46 am »

not yet. I wanted to make more refined alloys, but encountered some problems on the way. I am not entirely sure what to do with it atm.  :-\
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Gilith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: September 29, 2013, 07:20:17 am »

OK, thanks

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: September 29, 2013, 09:58:33 am »

I was thinking about changing the tileset to Mayday, but I'm a little apprehensive about doing it with this mod. 

Would adding in that tileset flub up the game in any severely detrimental way?

I'm wondering on this as well in case I ever decide to play this mod since I like that graphics pack.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1062 on: September 29, 2013, 10:01:09 am »

next version wiull have obsidian soul and spacefox set, but I havent done mayday yet... its a lot of work.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: September 29, 2013, 11:59:30 am »

next version wiull have obsidian soul and spacefox set, but I havent done mayday yet... its a lot of work.

Well, what would need to be done? Maybe you could outsource the work to one of the users?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1064 on: September 29, 2013, 12:05:41 pm »

its simple work, but a lot of it. in masterworkdwarffortress/tilesetname you find a set of files, data/art, data/init, raw/graphics and raw/objects. in raw objects you have all the raws in which tile-numbers must be changed.

So you take one of the sets I already include, open the raws, and change all tilenumbers, which look like [TILE:x] or [ITEM_SYMBOL:x], to whatever fits the tileset. For this you need the originals from the tileset, so you first download mayday raws, and then countercheck the tile numbers with the tile numbers for the same entries in the modded raws, easiest done with win-merge or beyond-compare.

Thats it. The rest I have to do in the GUI sourcecode, adding the new tileset to it.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 165