Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201573 times)

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #795 on: September 01, 2013, 05:38:28 am »

Yeah, marble is a flux.

The crucible is a furnace, but you need to research it and design a blueprint first. Use the vanilla smelter until that's done.

The blueprint will require:
    Ink (made in craftsdwarf from blood, graphite or ash. Needs jugs)
    Paper/vellum/papyrus (library supply)
    Architects study

The research will require:
    Steel bar
    Stone
    Coke
    Researcher's study

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: September 01, 2013, 06:34:07 am »

No such material!

Has something changed in v.3h re: DFHack?  I have a layer of black sand that I'd like to change the color.  What's always worked before, doesn't seem to work now.  Just checking and, Limestone to Marble and back, no problem.  Veins, other stone, no problem, only seems to be with sand (any sand). "force" was no help.   
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: September 01, 2013, 07:23:49 am »

Where does blood metal stand in relation to other weapon grade metals?

oneuristtwourists

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: September 01, 2013, 09:27:24 am »

Where does blood metal stand in relation to other weapon grade metals?

afaik same as steel.

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: September 01, 2013, 09:58:57 am »

No such material!

Has something changed in v.3h re: DFHack?  I have a layer of black sand that I'd like to change the color.  What's always worked before, doesn't seem to work now.  Just checking and, Limestone to Marble and back, no problem.  Veins, other stone, no problem, only seems to be with sand (any sand). "force" was no help.

try changelayer SAND_TAN
that gives you the standard yellow sand. Just tested it myself to confirm it still works in this version.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: September 01, 2013, 11:20:13 am »

Huh, who knew.  Seems there are Sand colors still in the raws that no longer apply.  No white sand (SDProject) but, clay is the same color and works.  Thanks. 

Edit: a glitch, I suppose.  Next gen, didn't happen.  Simple Soil was No but, whatever.  Next world, all as expected.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:53:20 am by jimboo »
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 01, 2013, 05:08:06 pm »

Steeloak is pretty nice if you lack flux or iron ores. You can even extract steel from the logs. About how hard it is to get it, as long as you have at least one start seed, you can eventually make many more. If you go with the default 5 steeloak starting seeds, just create a small overland farm plot (make a fence to avoid animals if you are in a wilder biome. Possibly even a downright (square) dome, to avoid pesky flying animals. :P
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

blazing glory

« Reply #802 on: September 01, 2013, 08:20:25 pm »

Steeloak is pretty nice if you lack flux or iron ores. You can even extract steel from the logs. About how hard it is to get it, as long as you have at least one start seed, you can eventually make many more. If you go with the default 5 steeloak starting seeds, just create a small overland farm plot (make a fence to avoid animals if you are in a wilder biome. Possibly even a downright (square) dome, to avoid pesky flying animals. :P

if you are reffering to my question then i will inform you i now have a half decent steel industry
( made with true dwarf method no filthy tree hugging elf hippie steel oak wood )

The_Draf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 02, 2013, 01:47:42 am »

Never used steeloak, but I think you just need to farm the trees and then cut them down in the timber yard. Trees take a year to grow though, so you might want to set up a few farms in different seasons so that you always have a harvest available.

Personally, I prefer to just use steel (and maybe bloodsteel if I have a lot of dead enemies). It isn't too difficult to get steel production if you have good resources in your embark and access to magma, plus you can use steel in the creation of mithril and volcanic metals.

Can you use corpses or are you limited to refuse when creating bloodsteal? If so finaly some use of all those dead bodies my poor haulers had to haul around.

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 02, 2013, 04:15:22 am »

Can you use corpses or are you limited to refuse when creating bloodsteal? If so finaly some use of all those dead bodies my poor haulers had to haul around.

Bloodsteel is created using one bar of ironbone, which requiring ash and bone body parts, and adding blood (extracted from meat at the kitchen) to it. To be honest, the best way to get them is from butchering pets, and wildlife. You can burn non-butcherable corpses to get ash, or offer them at the temple of Armok to (sometimes) get bloody weapons/armour.

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 02, 2013, 07:03:46 pm »

Read the manual about the liquid spawner. Its in the building section. Its not a good system, but the best I could do.

is it supposed to make infinite magma? It only made a little :(

The_Draf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 03, 2013, 01:47:37 am »

So I have a bunch of children wearing corrupted bloodsteel masks. I tried to forbid the items but they refuse to dropp them. I have a feeling these kids wont turn out right if they are going to wear those thier entire childhood. What does corrupted bloodsteel stuff do anyways? I think I am going to haveto arrange somekind of accident... 

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 03, 2013, 02:03:31 am »

So I have a bunch of children wearing corrupted bloodsteel masks. I tried to forbid the items but they refuse to dropp them. I have a feeling these kids wont turn out right if they are going to wear those thier entire childhood. What does corrupted bloodsteel stuff do anyways? I think I am going to haveto arrange somekind of accident...

Set them to dump should work to get them off them as long as you have a garbage dump.  Then melt them down and cleanse the bars in the temple.
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 03, 2013, 05:05:17 am »

If they're wearing them as owned clothing - which is the only way I can see children wearing any kind of items at all, since you can't assign items to civilians, which would include children - then I don't think the dumping designation will work.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 03, 2013, 05:49:47 am »

So, I'm trying to build a candelabra, but I get the message that I need a lit torch. Where would I procure one of those?
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 165