Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201575 times)

Gilith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #780 on: August 31, 2013, 01:25:17 pm »

I'm still learning the game, so maybe I've missed something obvious, but how do I use the boxes of feathers, library supplies etc? I took some on my embark, now the boxes are listed under the 'bars' section in stocks, and I can use them as building material (obviously that's not what I want ;) How can I 'unpack' the boxes?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #781 on: August 31, 2013, 01:30:00 pm »

Trade Storehouse. The reactions start automatically. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 31, 2013, 02:09:15 pm »

Heh, I'm imaging a ramshackle hobotown, floors and walls built of looted trade supplies.

Kane Minehunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 31, 2013, 02:40:26 pm »

Hello, not too sure if I'm missing something here but when i write books in the scriptorium, how do I choose which dwarf I want  to read it? All I've been trying is making a burrow next to it with only the specific dwarf in, any other way? Cheers.

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 31, 2013, 02:42:27 pm »

If you have a manager, you can set a workshop profile to allow only the dwarf in question.

Kane Minehunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 31, 2013, 03:04:23 pm »

Thank you very much sir.

Gilith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 31, 2013, 05:51:46 pm »

Thanks a lot!
Some more questions:
1. Speaker's podium: I have 2 dwarves with diplomacy skill, and I've queued 'Hold a speech' job, but somehow it's inactive. 'Hold a speech' is free, right? Or do I need a printing press first?
2. Golem: I got one with a migrant, but it's his pet. I'd like to use it in my non-existent military. Is there a way to assign a pet golem to someone else? What if the owner has an 'accident'? :>

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 31, 2013, 06:17:35 pm »

I've not used the speaker's podium, but the manual states the hold a speech job shouldn't require anything. Are you sure your dwarves aren't busy doing other jobs?

As for golems, there is no way to do that. You can only put a golem in your military if you create it yourself, in which case you put the dwarf who will transform into the golem in a squad before beginning the transformation. I'll also let you know that, due to a modding limitation, golems can't leave burrows if your civs are restricted to them by an alert, which does reduce the military effectiveness somewhat if you use burrows to protect your civs when under threat.

Gilith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 31, 2013, 06:47:57 pm »

I've just checked, no other job at the moment, and it's been several months since adding the task.
Edit: new migrant has finally performed the job. Strange thing is, he's got no diplomacy skill. Oh well...

Pastured the golem at the entrance, maybe it'll be of some use there

How to convert steeloak to steel bars? I've seen timberyard mentioned, but I can't find it in buildings menu. Sawmill only cuts it into steeloak logs
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:07:20 pm by Gilith »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #789 on: August 31, 2013, 09:48:46 pm »

Herbalists Lab.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

blazing glory

« Reply #790 on: September 01, 2013, 04:26:26 am »

how hard is it to get steel oak? i hate making steel by the time i have what i need i get bored and start another fortress

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: September 01, 2013, 04:47:02 am »

Never used steeloak, but I think you just need to farm the trees and then cut them down in the timber yard. Trees take a year to grow though, so you might want to set up a few farms in different seasons so that you always have a harvest available.

Personally, I prefer to just use steel (and maybe bloodsteel if I have a lot of dead enemies). It isn't too difficult to get steel production if you have good resources in your embark and access to magma, plus you can use steel in the creation of mithril and volcanic metals.

blazing glory

« Reply #792 on: September 01, 2013, 04:52:05 am »

Never used steeloak, but I think you just need to farm the trees and then cut them down in the timber yard. Trees take a year to grow though, so you might want to set up a few farms in different seasons so that you always have a harvest available.

Personally, I prefer to just use steel (and maybe bloodsteel if I have a lot of dead enemies). It isn't too difficult to get steel production if you have good resources in your embark and access to magma, plus you can use steel in the creation of mithril and volcanic metals.

i DON'T have acess to magma and what do you good resources?

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: September 01, 2013, 05:14:53 am »

I mean that if you have an abundance of the required materials, it's not too difficult.

Iron ore and flux are generally not difficult to find with entire layers often being a flux stone. You can also use bonemeal as a flux.

Lignite, bituminous coal, (compact) peat or anthracite make it much easier to build up your coal supplies. You could take stones of bituminous coal with you on embark and a single bar of charcoal to get a lot of coal at the smelter.

Also, the crucible and blast furnace allow for more efficient smelting of steel although you have to research them first.

Other than that, you can always just order steal and mithril bars (and crates of bars) from trade caravans.

blazing glory

« Reply #794 on: September 01, 2013, 05:27:10 am »

I mean that if you have an abundance of the required materials, it's not too difficult.

Iron ore and flux are generally not difficult to find with entire layers often being a flux stone. You can also use bonemeal as a flux.

Lignite, bituminous coal, (compact) peat or anthracite make it much easier to build up your coal supplies. You could take stones of bituminous coal with you on embark and a single bar of charcoal to get a lot of coal at the smelter.

Also, the crucible and blast furnace allow for more efficient smelting of steel although you have to research them first.

Other than that, you can always just order steal and mithril bars (and crates of bars) from trade caravans.

okay marble check (pretty sure the wiki says marble is flux)

bituminous coal check (half my entire work shop level was composed of the stuff! so plenty there)

iron check (well more iron ore havint gotten around to mass smelting yet)

crucible no check :(
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 165