Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201613 times)

The_Draf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #765 on: August 30, 2013, 05:58:06 am »

Are there any creatures hidden in stone which can destroy furniture? Dooring in the central staircase might be a good idea :)

Also are lashers still OP or have they been nerfed? Which of course leads me to the question of weapons, are any of the new weapons superior to the old ones?

I don't know whether they are building destroyers but being able to lock down levels of your fortress is probably a good idea anyway. A door or hatch would allow you to contain other types of enemies that can infiltrate your fortress, such as a necromancer or werewolf; or even a berserk dwarf.

As for weapons, the manual states: "Just use common sense, in most cases the name should give away how useful something is. No Dwarf wants a "rusty iron orc choppa", but a "bloodsteel Dai-Katana" must surely be something of value. If all else fails, ask in the forum. The same counts for armor. A "scratched kettlehelm" will be bad, a "holy Reignplate Armor" or "Demonic Razorplate Armor" will be good."

I checked the raws, Looks like the whip was nerfed.

What I was mostly thinking about when I asked about weapons was if there were any that was superior by design. Like Maul > morningstar > warhammer etc. I guess I will use the heaviest weapon I can from the damage types I plan on using. Does [TWO_HANDED:47500] mean that two hands will be require unless strength > 47500?

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 30, 2013, 07:08:39 am »

Well, generally speaking Two-Handed weapons are superior to one handed, but you sacrifice a shield. Comparing different types of weapon is more difficult, since they're all suited to different situations. In the example you gave, a maul is a two handed blunt weapon but the morningstar is a one-handed cutting weapon, whereas the war hammer is one handed blunt. The maul is great if you wanna break something's bones. I typically end up with a wide variety of different weapons.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #767 on: August 30, 2013, 07:10:51 am »

I usually spam zweihanders, because cutting things apart works well against both normal enemies and enemies that feel no pain or dont need blood or dont need a brain to move. If you cut that arm off, he cant use it anymore, regardless of he feels it or not.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 30, 2013, 07:20:58 am »

Unless it's undead in a resurrecting biome and then the arm hops up itself and keeps fighting *giggle*
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 30, 2013, 11:29:34 am »

If I disable harder mining, do warpstone labs serve any purpose at all? Or can I still find stable warpstone?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #770 on: August 30, 2013, 12:09:36 pm »

If I disable harder mining, do warpstone labs serve any purpose at all? Or can I still find stable warpstone?

It doesn't really serve a purpose with harder mining on. The cost for the blueprint is worth a dozen or so sprites or changelings, I rarely have more than a dozen stable warpstone boulders.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

blazing glory

« Reply #771 on: August 30, 2013, 04:40:46 pm »

right i am now playing dwarfs instead of orcs and i have a question how do you cut gems!? the gem cutter needs three cut gems but you can't cut gem without the gem cutter! is it broken?

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 30, 2013, 04:49:16 pm »

Use the Jeweller's workshop as you would in vanilla df, the gem-cutter is for special gem items I think.

blazing glory

« Reply #773 on: August 30, 2013, 04:59:06 pm »

ah thanks :D for spotting my foolishness

blazing glory

« Reply #774 on: August 30, 2013, 06:15:29 pm »

what skill does the stone cutter use? my masons arnt doing obeying my orders to make a rock anvil

EDIT nevermind figured it out now for another question can you chose what the anvil and blocks are made of?

ANOTHER EDIT forget that too found a loop hole to allow me to chose spesific rocks
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:33:55 pm by blazing glory »

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 30, 2013, 10:06:45 pm »

Sorry, wrong thread. Please delete this.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 02:19:48 am by dirkdragonslayer »
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Fateful Ending

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 30, 2013, 10:25:24 pm »

I've found this pretty good embark spot with prospect (hail dfhack), and have been re-embarking until i find the perfect set of dorfs.
Questions:
A: is there an easier way to customize my dorfs at embark, I'm fine with the seven, but i keep getting guildies that are useless for embark, or i get six legionaries in an serene biome.

B: Has anyone ever gotten a lich on embark? I just got one, an i can't decide if its incredibly epic, or really unfortunate. (Will he hate the other migrants? Will he raise the corpses of his fellows, starting off a spiral?)

C: [EDIT] How do i mint coins? the old vanilla reactions are still there (mint iron coins ETC.) but i can't find the reactions for minting sovereigns ETC.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:36:16 pm by Fateful Ending »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #777 on: August 30, 2013, 11:39:36 pm »

A: no
B: I did. the corpses he raises retain their allies, so dwarves and pets stay friendly corpses.
C: gold coins = sovereins, silver coins = shillings, copper coins = coppers. Its the normal coins from the forge. Or the coin mint, your choice
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 31, 2013, 04:30:33 am »

Quick question before I design a defense using the new Arbalast or Trebuchet: What is the range? Crossbow-range, normal siege-engine range or somewhere in-between?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #779 on: August 31, 2013, 12:03:08 pm »

Dwarven view range.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 165