Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201623 times)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #735 on: August 21, 2013, 04:36:11 pm »

is there any way to stockpile "boiled eggs"? do they rot if I leave them inside my kitchen?

Dwarf-Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 21, 2013, 04:45:11 pm »

are the rocktools no more available in V3f ?
the rockforge is gone. With rockpick, rockwaepons etc.?  stonecutters workshop does not have it

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 21, 2013, 05:10:37 pm »

Is there an effect (beneficial or detrimental) to the 'poof' I see when miners are digging Collapsed Brick? I'd guess it has low percentage to drop an item, and a high percentage to drop a boiling rock.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #738 on: August 21, 2013, 05:20:30 pm »

No, its just the rock that boils away, completely harmless. It just exists to ensure that no boulders are left over. "This is a collapsed brick mechanism" is a bit silly. ;)

Rockforge is in the furnace menu now.

boiled eggs should be stockpiled in any food stockpile.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Spacebat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 21, 2013, 05:27:35 pm »

On the embark screen, I'm hardly seeing any vanilla animals at all. No dogs, no cats, not even turkeys. The embark profiles have a tobn of points to spare because the animals they normally include don't exist anymore. I've tried generating two worlds now and they're both exactly the same, what causes this?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #740 on: August 21, 2013, 05:32:10 pm »

Maybe... reading the changelogs could clear this up? (I removed them a few version ago)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Spacebat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 21, 2013, 05:38:07 pm »

sorry, I couldn't imagine why you would want to remove them, with the familiar animals gone there's none of the old standbys for eggs or vermin hunting.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 21, 2013, 07:47:18 pm »

Several new animals hunt vermin (frill lizards, for example).  In a “what’s your favorite pet?” discussion, someone posted that moleweasels breed quickly, hunt vermin, are fast and until the hardcode is changed, a stack of bones is a stack of bones.  But egglayers – yeah, this was a peeve of Meph’s so he changed it; no more ez “Fortress Omeleteville.”  But he gets his comeuppance – in the succession game ☼Banners of Heart☼, the Commander Meph likes turkeys and has requested one.  He’s SOL unless the fortress gets lucky with a caravan.   :)
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 21, 2013, 09:43:42 pm »

Bearded Keets lay at a decent rate imo, it's not egg city but I did okay with em.

Moleweasels are awesome. Speaking of which, I came to ask about their behavior, it might be vanilla but I can't be sure, I've never seen this before.

I probably have the pop cap of moleweasels, but they're zipping back and forth across my fortress courtyard and wearing a highway right down the middle (from the entrance to the outside gate which is currently open.) I guess that they're going from the Meeting Area to wherever they want to hunt and back, over and over. Any ideas to keep them from zipping around so much? I want them to stay outside mostly, with a couple I can pasture in my stocks. They make great scouts to keep sneaky bastards at bay.

I noticed that when I called the dorfs in with a burrow command, suddenly all the weasels ran inside?! Am I imagining things? I had twenty or more wandering around but when I turned on the burrow they all scampered for cover like the dorfs. o.O Perhaps they obey the [CIV] burrow designation?

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 21, 2013, 11:14:27 pm »

boiled eggs should be stockpiled in any food stockpile.
yes, but where? in the "z" stocks menu they are kept under eggs, but in the stockpile settings there's no option for "boiled eggs" in "eggs" and activating all "eggs" does nothing...

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 21, 2013, 11:34:47 pm »

Could it count as prepared food? I haven't done much with boiling eggs so I haven't run into that problem.

EDIT: Had another question. Does anyone know what the 'proper' name for Rough Wood is? I'm trying to use the alt-A tool to designate only regular rough wood for a reaction, not featherwood, steeloak, fungiwood, et cetera. I can find the other types under their respective trees, but since 'rough wood' is a standardized material, it isn't under the individual trees any more. "Refined Wood Wood" doesn't work in either of its forms, that was my last guess.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 12:41:10 am by masterdiscord »

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #746 on: August 22, 2013, 12:53:16 am »

It will be a blank entry.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 22, 2013, 05:05:52 am »

As far as early food goes, I bring 4 horned turtles (3 female, 1 male) with 3 nest boxes. Slaughter the first two animals I come with, and slaughter any male horned turtles. That gives me plenty of food, more than enough to survive until the first caravan, at which point I can buy all their food and cook it, which sets up a nice cycle of not only food but trading (can use the cooked food to buy out the next caravan's food and cook that, etc). Once trading becomes less reliable, due to sieges or ambushes, you should have more than enough dwarves and the mandatory defensive set up (because you wouldn't survive otherwise) that you should be self sustaining.

Maybe what you're looking for in high production egg layers is just a hands-off method of food production that requires minimal dwarf power, but food is still not any bigger of a deal than it is in vanilla.

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 22, 2013, 09:38:15 am »

Awesome, that did the trick. Thank you.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 22, 2013, 10:25:17 pm »

Not sure if this is a bug or intended behaviour, but there are egg types that can't be boiled:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
cook cancels boil egg: needs unrotten EGG_MAT-producing egg

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 165