Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201638 times)

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #720 on: August 19, 2013, 10:23:48 pm »

Get your miners into the Mason's Guild to protect them from the dust.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #721 on: August 20, 2013, 04:16:43 am »

Normal dwarves die from it, but the Masons Guild gives a boost to miners. Masonsguild Miners are immune to coal-dust and are more resistant to Warpstone. I would love to do "dust-masks" and similar items, but the game does not allow me to assign items to miners or woodcutters or hunters... which sucks.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: August 20, 2013, 07:14:16 am »

Anyone ever see an issue where Dwarf Therapist shows dead dwarves as still living?

A while back in my current fort three migrants were killed by an ambush before they could get into the fort, then to be recovered later after the ambush had wandered off. They show up dead just fine in game, but DT for some reason thinks they are still alive and well.

I'm using v 3e if that makes a difference, but I figure this probably isn't anything mod specific.

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: August 20, 2013, 11:23:37 am »

I had one where I resurrected a dwarf using the heal2 script, but he wouldn't show up in Therapist.

The problem I've had with the coal dust is that you need a certain level of tech to get the guilds, at least enough gold to mint coins which may require several years. That's several years subsisting on charcoal and trader-bought fuel before you can safely mine coal? It just doesn't seem possible to me, and I bring 50 pieces of bituminous coal most of the time.  Sure you could build next to a volcano or rush the caverns for magma, but those have their own dangers.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #724 on: August 20, 2013, 11:40:06 am »

Wood and peat does not cause black lung, and it takes a while for a miner to actually die from it. I plan on a simpler immunization done in the Apothecary when I do the diseases-system.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: August 20, 2013, 03:59:01 pm »

I've had several maps with a large peat layer, and never has it dropped for me, is there something I'm missing? That would be a big help with my current map, coal or no. (I have some lignite but a whole layer of peat.)  I could understand if there was a peat cutting job like with sand and clay, or is compressed peat just quite rare?

I ran into another question, regarding the relics and such. I assume that's where I'm getting random mithril items I didn't craft. What is the significance of the items having a standard quality (well-made through masterwork) and also an adjective in the name? I have a superior Superior Mithril Great Axe and a standard quality Legendary Mithril Meteor Hammer. I might have to train up someone to use that, I've heard they're good.  Is there any way that shop could pop an announcement when items are discovered? I end up having to dig through my Stocks screen to see what was obtained.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #726 on: August 20, 2013, 04:03:12 pm »

Next version will have announcements. I already finished writing them.

Improved and legendary items are the same upgraded weapons that you can do yourself in the weaponry. Seems you never used it so far. :P

Peat exists in two forms: Compact peat which drops boulder, or just "peat". This is soil, wont drop any boulders, but can be collected like clay. The collected boulders have to be compressed in the screwpress to compact peat. :) Slow, but unlimited fuel. Only works in the newest version.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: August 20, 2013, 04:17:19 pm »

I have not been able to figure out how to collect the peat. I can collect dirt, just fine (and then throw the dirt boulder into the brick oven to get some valuable bricks for building)

I have several spots of peat on my current embark at z-1. I've marked off a large section of it (covering only peat) with a single zone for clay/dirt/peat collection. The counter for the zone shows 3 squares available for the collecting; so apparently every square of peat is not the same as the next.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 21, 2013, 12:13:05 am »

Since everybody is on mining questions, where can I find the chances of an ore producing a metal bar?

I'm trying a DIY embark, bringing only raw materials and making everything on-site (no picks or axes) I brought 1 bituminous coal, 1 native copper, 1 malachite and 2 cassiterites, when I melted them I got 3 tin bars from the 2 cassiterites and 4 copper bars from the copper ores (1 from the malachite and 2 from the native copper)

Also is the reaction to make bronze from ores directly instead of bars gone? Because of that I miss-calculated on the bituminous coal... :P

I'm using the Smelter by the way.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: August 21, 2013, 12:16:24 am »

I have not been able to figure out how to collect the peat. I can collect dirt, just fine (and then throw the dirt boulder into the brick oven to get some valuable bricks for building)

I have several spots of peat on my current embark at z-1. I've marked off a large section of it (covering only peat) with a single zone for clay/dirt/peat collection. The counter for the zone shows 3 squares available for the collecting; so apparently every square of peat is not the same as the next.
I think that reaction uses "compact peat", it drops as a boulder when mining layers of "compact peat" these usually occur along the soil layers.

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #730 on: August 21, 2013, 02:40:54 am »

Since everybody is on mining questions, where can I find the chances of an ore producing a metal bar?

I'm trying a DIY embark, bringing only raw materials and making everything on-site (no picks or axes) I brought 1 bituminous coal, 1 native copper, 1 malachite and 2 cassiterites, when I melted them I got 3 tin bars from the 2 cassiterites and 4 copper bars from the copper ores (1 from the malachite and 2 from the native copper)

Also is the reaction to make bronze from ores directly instead of bars gone? Because of that I miss-calculated on the bituminous coal... :P

I'm using the Smelter by the way.

Some reactions have been moved. See manual.

Smelting results can be viewed by clicking the reaction if it is red, if it is not red you can look at the ore in the z menu, under stones tab.
If you are playing with harder smelting, it should just be the value on the wiki divided by 2.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: August 21, 2013, 10:59:47 am »

TBH I haven't ever been able to get to even a reasonably advanced military. The closest I got was a fully masterwork steel geared squad. There always seems to be something about the military interface that screws me over eventually. I wish I could just manually manage the idiots' inventories.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #732 on: August 21, 2013, 11:29:20 am »

You can manually control which item they should equip.

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 21, 2013, 12:41:23 pm »

Is there a way to mod races into being friendly and trading? Or better yet, trading yet still ambushing/stealing/snatching?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 21, 2013, 04:11:12 pm »

You can manually control which item they should equip.

Which is made slightly easier with DFhack's window-sensitive "search." At least it offers a search when assigning dwarves to squads, I presume you can also set the search when equipping specific items.

It's still going to be a hassle, though. It'll be a good day when the interface gets an overhaul.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 165