Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201655 times)

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #660 on: August 10, 2013, 08:31:23 am »

Steelclad raptors are a separate creature. I believe there is an arena name token or something like that. If they don't have that maybe they don't show up in the arena?
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 10, 2013, 08:35:45 am »

It is possible to get migrants even if your population exceeds the cap, but based on the Mantis discussion in relation to this "bug" it looks like there's a difference in how the setting is expected to work and how it actually works. [clip/liaison] ... even if you're down one below the cap when he last left, you could get as many as three or four waves (the sizes of which are dependent only on wealth, not the pop cap setting) until the next time a liaison/caravan comes by and returns to the mountainhome to report on the fort.

50; counting only ADULT dwarves?  Because children aren’t counted in the cap.  (Why only 50 dwarves?  Never mind, doesn’t matter.)  One work-around is, Save, Exit, re-start with a pop cap below the existing number of adults.  Has worked for me so far, I keep a cap at 150 or so just for FPS, moving up step-wise from 60 each time the fortress stabilizes. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #662 on: August 10, 2013, 08:45:26 am »

You will get 7 starting dwarves (or however many you like), +2 migrant waves, +children, +n migrant waves till your pop-cap is filled. But yes, if you have 57 dwarves, pop-cap 60, a full migrant wave will appear.

Jimboo, I simply couldnt find the time to make a steel and ironclad version of each creature. :P They are seperate creatures in the file creature_pet_armored.txt and you can find them in the arena just like any other creature.

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: August 10, 2013, 09:20:27 am »

No real reason for 50 just easing myself in not played for awhile so getting to grips, harder farming nearly caught me out with only 40 of the little buggers thank god for trade!

Found a tear of armok i presume I need to build the liquid spawner in a hole to create a nice little pool of water upon deconstruct?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #664 on: August 10, 2013, 09:47:18 am »

Correct. It would be easier though to build a track to the alchemist, fill tanker-carts with water, and assign them an automatic route to the nearest pit, so that they get dumped as soon as they are full. Thats way more efficient.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 10, 2013, 10:19:45 am »

It is possible to get migrants even if your population exceeds the cap, but based on the Mantis discussion in relation to this "bug" it looks like there's a difference in how the setting is expected to work and how it actually works. [clip/liaison] ... even if you're down one below the cap when he last left, you could get as many as three or four waves (the sizes of which are dependent only on wealth, not the pop cap setting) until the next time a liaison/caravan comes by and returns to the mountainhome to report on the fort.

50; counting only ADULT dwarves?  Because children aren’t counted in the cap.  (Why only 50 dwarves?  Never mind, doesn’t matter.)  One work-around is, Save, Exit, re-start with a pop cap below the existing number of adults.  Has worked for me so far, I keep a cap at 150 or so just for FPS, moving up step-wise from 60 each time the fortress stabilizes.

I always set my cap at 80 so I still get seiges, otherwise I find every fort turns into a 40 FPS lagfest with 60+ idlers.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 10, 2013, 10:38:47 am »

Correct. It would be easier though to build a track to the alchemist, fill tanker-carts with water, and assign them an automatic route to the nearest pit, so that they get dumped as soon as they are full. Thats way more efficient.

That indeed does sound more efficient plus playing the scorching embark so water needed especially as a fire elemental just burnt all my poor mountain goats, some mastiffs and a couple dwarfs!

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #667 on: August 10, 2013, 03:11:18 pm »

Jimboo, I simply couldnt find the time to make a steel and ironclad version of each creature. :P They are seperate creatures in the file creature_pet_armored.txt and you can find them in the arena just like any other creature.

If you can find the time, I would really, really like to have a steelclad giant drowspider. Those buggers are amazingly good pets for ranged units, both in military and just hunting.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 10, 2013, 05:28:39 pm »

Hi everyone   just a quick one is the pop cap still bugged ?

This has nothing to do with Masterwork and there's nothing Meph can do about it.

blazing glory

« Reply #669 on: August 10, 2013, 10:56:01 pm »

my ork miner just fell over dead because he can't breathe what gives? EDIT i found out that i had harder mining on and ork got black lung because there was bitmunious coal
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:12:25 pm by blazing glory »

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 11, 2013, 05:25:11 pm »

Got a guildhall and garrison up 5000 coins sitting pretty guildhall options are fine garrison ones all red done a search looked at manual but guess i missed something?
Any help would be great as I need the extra training as the orcs and warlocks are starting to siege thanks!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #671 on: August 11, 2013, 10:26:09 pm »

Known Bugs Section of the Manual, see "Burrows". Thats my best guess.

blazing glory

« Reply #672 on: August 11, 2013, 11:06:43 pm »

can orks use mithril?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #673 on: August 12, 2013, 12:37:08 am »

can orks use mithril?

While I usually dont mind much... Could you please tell me the title of this thread? And why you opened a seperate thread, with exactly the same question, instead of posting in the "ORC - Gameplay Questions" thread?

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 12, 2013, 03:27:17 am »

Known Bugs Section of the Manual, see "Burrows". Thats my best guess.

Sorted thanks!

I will now be off to re read all the manual lol
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 165