Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201675 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #645 on: August 08, 2013, 01:34:20 am »

Yeah, mead has been overlooked because its not made of plants... can be added.

Mh... manual about it seems outdated, you can spawn it in the temple, but you need a sprite (a pet creatures) to animate it. its a friendly iron colossus. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 08, 2013, 05:06:29 am »

Hello there!

for my first post i chose two questions that might be often asked but i didn't find any pleasing answers yet...

#1 armor/weapons:
is there any difference between greaves and mailgreaves (metal/leather)?
apart from that it would be nice to know the benefits or rather a slight comparrison between foreign items like paladin armor, spike greaves or bladed shields

#2 metals:
does weight have any influence on sharp weapons or is shear yield the only important factor?

what is more important for blunt weapons: impact yield or solid density?

unfortunatly english is not my native language so the wiki is sometimes a little bit confusing to me...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #647 on: August 08, 2013, 05:13:21 am »

What is your native language then?

Greaves are shaped, like a breastplate.
Mailgreaves are not-shaped, like a mailshirt.

All the other items you will have to wait for Maklaks script to be done. Or check the raws yourself.

Weight influences sharp weapons, because they heavier their are, the slower they hit, because the weight slows down the dwarf. It might also influence combat, but mithril/candy are very good for edged weapons, so no problem with light weaponry.

Density is the most important factor for blunt weapons.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 08, 2013, 05:59:11 am »

Greaves are shaped, like a breastplate.
Mailgreaves are not-shaped, like a mailshirt.

ok... i guessed that but apparently my dorfs refused to wear both...

All the other items you will have to wait for Maklaks script to be done. Or check the raws yourself.

Weight influences sharp weapons, because they heavier their are, the slower they hit, because the weight slows down the dwarf. It might also influence combat, but mithril/candy are very good for edged weapons, so no problem with light weaponry.

Density is the most important factor for blunt weapons.

ok thank you very much!
just one question regarding armor:

apart from the specific weight of the material, shear and impact yield should be the significant values of blunt and sharp resistance...

so in comparison an orichalcum armor would be way better against blunt damage than an mithril armor but inferior against sharp attacks?

What is your native language then?

it's german ;)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #649 on: August 08, 2013, 06:05:58 am »

Schwierig zu sagen. Nur Toady kennt den Code dahinter, aber Tests haben gezeigt, dass du richtig liegen könntest.

Versuchs mal mit specific armor für die greaves. Und übrigens ist es sehr seltsam hier Deutsch zu sprechen. ;)

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 08, 2013, 06:58:19 am »

Ok, werd ich ausprobieren und mich fürs erste mal damit begnügen ;)

Seltsam? Möglicherweise - aber praktisch^^

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #651 on: August 08, 2013, 07:57:59 am »

Speaking of armor, I was reading the armor tokens and found something I don't understand. Why don't the enemy armors have LBSTEP in MW? Unless I am misunderstanding something, that would provide them leg protection without adding any additional items to clog up the game.

apart from that it would be nice to know the benefits or rather a slight comparrison between foreign items like paladin armor, spike greaves or bladed shields

The vast majority of the armors are exactly the same, just with different names.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

gazoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 08, 2013, 12:39:12 pm »

Could someone tell me how tobacco works? I'd like to make a large plantation fort but cannot for the life of me find any mention of 'tobacco' crops in the raws. Raw searching only yields that I must dry leaves in a kiln. Is there no tobacco plant, and if not, which crops should I be growing to give me tobacco?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #653 on: August 08, 2013, 01:37:43 pm »

All plants with leaves can be used for tobacco. Farm Plant (for example shadowleaf or quarry bush) => Process plant leaves to bag (in farmworkshop) => dry leaves to tobacco (in klin).

gazoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 08, 2013, 03:29:19 pm »

Thank you my good sir.
Plantation fort, HO!

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 10, 2013, 06:30:02 am »

Hi everyone   just a quick one is the pop cap still bugged ? 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #656 on: August 10, 2013, 07:36:51 am »

Pop Cap is not bugged and never was.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: August 10, 2013, 07:40:43 am »

Depends on whether you think it is actually bugged or not. It is possible to get migrants even if your population exceeds the cap, but based on the Mantis discussion in relation to this "bug" it looks like there's a difference in how the setting is expected to work and how it actually works. The expectation is that it is purely a performance feature independent on gameplay, but in reality it seems that it still has to go through the "communication" that's simulated between your fort and the mountainhome via the liaison. That means that even if you're down one below the cap when he last left, you could get as many as three or four waves (the sizes of which are dependent only on wealth, not the pop cap setting) until the next time a liaison/caravan comes by and returns to the mountainhome to report on the fort.

Someone had suggested setting the cap to 0 and it seemed to work, but take it with a grain of salt since there was no mention of rigorous testing. You'll start with your initial 7 and, baring any other bugs, maybe won't get any more.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 10, 2013, 08:07:17 am »

Thanks waiting for the caravan now so hopefully not end up to much past my intended cap.

Just annoying when you set it to 50 and at 55 you get 25 more of the buggers  :P

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 10, 2013, 08:23:00 am »

The frequency in which spiders shoot webs will be nerfed for the next release.
Not a bug... the reaction does say "Raptor", not "Dragon Raptor". Its two different creatures. Like Elephant and Giant Elephant.

Oh.  Darn.  Raptors are OK but Dragon Raptors in addition to the joint locks have that cool, disemboweling, Kung-fu spinning back kick.  My Raptors never seem to do that.  I like the image of “the torso goes sailing off in an arc.”   :)

Q: What is the proper way to test a steelclad animal in the Object Test Area?  A keyword “clad” only brings up leather armor made from the steelclad whatever (?).  Outfitting a Raptor in full steel armor + armor skill, the Dragon Raptor still wins every time: an immobilizing joint lock followed by a bite leading to fatal blood loss.  Maybe Meph thinks a steelclad Dragon Raptor would be too BA for the mod.  But how to properly test?
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 165