Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201641 times)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #615 on: August 03, 2013, 07:01:29 am »

Just turn slagpit off. All that enabling does is a tax on your micro and screwing with the smelting speed. You need like 2 slagpits for every buidilng that creates bars. Remember that if you dont destroy slag, it creates multiple bars and tools, all of which contribute to the eventual fps death.
Unfortunately be aware that you need to remake the world.
Alternatively, you could mass dump every slag piece using dfhack, and then open the raws and remove slag chances from every mineral. Again, beware that this would be quite a taxing task.

Slag doesn’t seem to make much difference on FPS.  After low FPS on the Banners of Heart MWSuccession game, I’m building a v.3d fortress expressly to optimize FPS (and learn magic).  Massive slag bars are magma-safe and can’t be traded away because of the 300,000 Urist weight but they evidently fit into a wheelbarrow because it took only a gametime day or so to move 140 massive bars to my Trade Depot.  There is a Dwarven Atom Smasher Bridge next to it and removing 140 massive bars and 50 or so regular bars gave only a 1 FPS gain. This fortress is metalsmith-oriented because magic takes a lot of time and money (platinum) and most of my slag turns into potash, using the proficient Farmer cascade effect to optimize FPS by maximizing stack yields and minimizing storage and hauling labors.  But even with a chemist working 24/7 on lye, I can’t keep up and simple slag bars seem to be used preferentially to make potash, leaving the massive bars to quantum stack in the slag pits – where they don’t seem to have much of any effect.  After Meph adjusts the tools/☼masterful☼ thing, they won’t need anything else.  I’ll post more on FPS (and feedback on magic) when the fortress is further along.  For now: 123 dorfs, 214 animals and stable FPS at 65 on my old laptop, 4th year.
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #616 on: August 03, 2013, 07:33:46 am »

--- Wrong Thread ---
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 08:00:09 am by silentdeth »
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 03, 2013, 11:15:44 am »

Ok not sure what's going on, and not trying to blame the mod but why is it I have not once made an artifact even though I have the stuff. I can read the games way of saying what they needs and when all else fails, I use showmood to make sure I'm not missing something obvious.

6 moods 6 failures , every time I have the stuff they are in the workshop and show mood shows all clear, as well as the ingame delay on items they want.

Does this issue happen to anyone else in 3e or even vamilla?

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 03, 2013, 11:44:03 am »

Is anyone else having trouble with glue?

My Timberyard stopped making glue from spore-tree resin, dunno why.  It worked for a couple of years and then just stopped and my library system is backlogged for lack of books.  The Caravans can’t keep up and the kitchens can’t boil enough hooves.  There are plenty of spore-trees stockpiled next to the workshop.  The only thing I can think of is, once I Hid all the wood before an Elven caravan; didn’t work, they’re still ticked.  Whatever.  But the Timberyard no longer makes glue.  It’s red-ed out, the workshop now does nothing useful except peel fungiwood for the kitchens.  I’ve tried removing and replacing the stockpile, dedicated and not, it just doesn’t work any longer.  Has this happened to anyone else?

Sidenote: If one mixes water and flour, isn’t it called ‘library paste’?  Didn’t we all go to primary school with that one kid who kept eating the library paste?  MW paste can be pressed to oil but so can leaves; is paste particularly useful for anything?
Sidenote 2: Bloated Tubers can be pressed for glue and the caravans will bring seeds but they still can’t be planted (as per Wiki Crops).  This v.3d fortress is in its fourth year and lots of seeds, no one brings tuber plants.  Is this common?
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 03, 2013, 04:14:56 pm »

You must be in the wrong biome for the bloated tubers.  I'm planting them in my farm plots now.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Tabris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 03, 2013, 11:28:00 pm »

In vanilla bloated tubers don't have seeds. Have those been added by MW? If so what's their name?

BTW, another thing. How do you make food and booze for your fortress in the long run? You just build more farm plots? Because i've noticed that after 120+ dwarves my plots just couldn't keep up with all the dwarves and i began having problems with starvation. Should i try fertilizing? If so what is the optimal way?

Also, you guys do underground farming or focus entirely in above ground crops?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #621 on: August 03, 2013, 11:42:48 pm »

Fertilizing helps a lot, but I dont rely on farms for food/drink at all. Its mostly trading, hunting and killing stuff that keeps the fort going.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Anth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 04, 2013, 02:31:12 am »

Is the Underdark Nethermill exclusive to Orc Fortress? I got some Devilthorn logs I want to turn into warhammers or maybe meteor hammers. Any possible way I can turn these Devilthorn logs into some weapons or even buy Devilthorn weapons from traders?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 04, 2013, 02:37:06 am »

Underdark

i should really do some ctrl+f

westamastaflash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 04, 2013, 06:19:28 am »

Have Cats been removed in v3e?? I played with "Simple Pets: No" and I can't buy cats at embark? How do I deal with vermin without cats to put around my stockpiles?

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 04, 2013, 06:32:23 am »

Have Cats been removed in v3e?? I played with "Simple Pets: No" and I can't buy cats at embark? How do I deal with vermin without cats to put around my stockpiles?

hawks, moleweasels, frill lizards come to mind. or use small animal traps against vermin

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #626 on: August 04, 2013, 06:47:39 am »

Yeah, I really have to do something about the things I changed from vanilla DF. Soap => Chemist, Pets changed, Kiln/Clay Oven and alloys moved to metallurgist. That should be absolutely clear.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

westamastaflash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 04, 2013, 06:48:47 am »

hawks, moleweasels, frill lizards come to mind. or use small animal traps against vermin

Thanks! I didn't know these guys killed vermin also.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 04, 2013, 08:16:05 am »

You must be in the wrong biome for the bloated tubers.  I'm planting them in my farm plots now.

Ah, I forgot about the biome thing, thanks.  The Elves started bringing them 5th year, anyhow.  My Timberyard is still locked for glue (it used to process spore-trees but just stopped).

Tabris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 04, 2013, 09:27:23 am »

Yeah, I really have to do something about the things I changed from vanilla DF. Soap => Chemist, Pets changed, Kiln/Clay Oven and alloys moved to metallurgist. That should be absolutely clear.
Also, update the embark profiles to the changes with the pets.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 165